Notices

Help..Radiator fans stopped working.

Search this Thread

Old 16 February 2015, 08:05 AM
bristolborn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help..Radiator fans stopped working.

Hi being new to owning a 94 wrx (but loving it )I noticed the other day after leaving the car for 2 hours or so,on return the Temp gauge was still just under normal working temp… I then had a hell of a job trying to start the car, a heavy smell of fuel (obviously from "flooding" it ) but finally got it started ,temp gauge went up to Normal temp and stayed there… I didn't hear the fans cut in after i got it home,lifted the bonnet and saw a Pinky deposit (coolant??)on the header tank …. i searched the forums , but can't find anyone else having this problem Could this be Fuse related ,if so, which fuse is it ? OR is it something more sinister ??? Thanks ,in advance for any help
Old 16 February 2015, 10:30 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't give you an answer but one thing I can say is don't trust the OE temp gauge. It is useless. It gets the the middle before the engine is anywhere near warm and stays there even if the thing melts. You want an oil temp gauge to make any real judgment on temp.

Pink discharge will be obviously coolant boiling on the tank surface. Could possibly be a loose hose, duff cap or too much pressure in the system caused by overheating or a head gasket issue (worst case).

Fan's not working could be the fans themselves, the wiring (it is very close to the manifold) the coolant temp sensor, relays or fuses.

All guess work and not much help but hopefully somebody will be along with some better ideas.
Old 16 February 2015, 03:42 PM
bristolborn
Scooby Newbie

Thanks FMJ
Checked fuses..all ok..fans came on at low temp, took it to a mate of mine.. says it could be
1.thermostat jamming ( car was laid up for 2 .1/2 yrs before i bought it )
2.Temp sensor going/gone
3. ill fitting cap on HKS header…
any ideas where i can get new
Thermostat
sensor
also going to service it.. so plugs fuel+oil filter too. cheapest i can find is Graham Goode Racing for Genuine parts (?) Ł85.. but he's in Leicester..Anyone Closer to Bristol so as i can pick up rather than get it posted ?? Thanks
Old 16 February 2015, 05:57 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Luckily the parts you want to swap are the cheap ones.

Stat

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...en=&searchKey=

Not sure if your car has one or two temp sensors but I think it's just this one

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/parts_info.asp?id=1612

Standard Cap (You don't need a higher pressure one)

http://www.importcarparts.co.uk/part...y=&searchPart=

On that same site you will find the oil filter for about Ł12, fuel filter about Ł15 for a decent pattern one or a bit more for a genuine one. As for plugs just get some basic NGK's in the right grade from anywhere cheap. Unless you want to get fancy ones.

Last edited by FMJ; 16 February 2015 at 05:58 PM.
Old 16 February 2015, 08:51 PM
matthewn
Scooby Regular

i would also check coolant pipe that goes across rad to overflow as these can block up so excess coolant cant escape to overflow, may be worth changing coolant if sat around for a while but do it [properly) refill from turbo coolant pipe slowly (back fill) and you could test thermostat whilst doing this in a jug of boiling water. May be worth flushing also as you said its been sat about.
Old 16 February 2015, 08:54 PM
merlin24
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the wiring harness which runs along the bottom of the radiator - quite often comes unclipped and melts on the headers causing all sorts of problems.

Mick
Old 17 February 2015, 07:49 AM
bristolborn
Scooby Newbie

brilliant..thank you all,so much for the pointers and taking the time to advise me .
FMJ ..i have a HKS 108ka cap on it at the mo..i don't think its a standard header on it..would a regular one fit on??