exedy twin plate issue

Search this Thread

Old 02 February 2015, 06:09 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Default exedy twin plate issue

I've got this exedy twin plate clutch that I got second hand ages ago. It's got near enough brand new discs (3.86mm material left, vs 4.00mm at brand new). Brand new release and spigot bearing.

Unfortunately, with the engine running, I can't select gears. The symptoms are:

* With engine off, and clutch not depressed, it is sometimes hard to get into 1-5 (reverse never works)
* With engine off, and clutch depressed, it will usually go into 1-5 fine (Can sometimes get reverse)
* With engine on, and clutch depressed, it refuses to go into gear 9 times out of 10. Never managed to get reverse.
* With the clutch depressed, the clutch makes a right racket (rattling), but I'm assuming this is normal due to it being a twin plate.
* With car on axle stands, and clutch depressed, the wheels will still turn, however if I press the brakes, they will stop turning and engine keeps running

From the last point it sounds like the clutch is dragging for whatever reason. I've adjusted the clutch pedal as much as possible in both directions, bled the clutch etc.

I've taken it all apart again, and basically I noticed something potentially weird on the flywheel, namely the marks you see circled below.

The marks are present everywhere where the middle "fat metal" plate touches it with the leaf springs. The marks themselves are about 0.5mm deep.

Unfortunately I can't remember what grease I used on the input shaft of the gearbox when I fitted it, but it would have probably been lithium grease. I also unfortunately cleaned it off before trying to see if the clutch discs were moving freely on the shaft after I took it apart (now that it's clean, they seemingly move OK).

Questions:

1. What is the correct grease to use on the input shaft for these clutches?
2. Is it possible that the 0.5mm dimple means that the engine side disc doesn't quite "fit" and hence ends up dragging?
3. Is it possible to resurface the flywheel? I realise I'd need to remove the same amount of material from the "towers"/drive lugs.

Any other suggestions? I do like the idea of a twin plate, but it's not strictly necessary at my power level, so might just sell the good clutch plates if it turns out I have to buy a brand new flywheel at whatever huge cost
Old 02 February 2015, 06:22 PM
p1junkie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

what power are u running cant see the need for a twin plate below 600bhp
Old 02 February 2015, 06:26 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Aiming for around 500 eventually
Old 02 February 2015, 07:32 PM