Turbo intake pipe advice.

Search this Thread

Old 16 January 2015, 12:39 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo intake pipe advice.

Hi guys,
Advice needed please, I'm going from a td05 16g top entry to a td05 18g front entry and wondering how best to go about the air intake side of things.
I've got the thermal spacers to lift the inlet, a catch can doing away with the breathers except the icv which I'm gonna use a mini k&n for.
So all I need is a intake pipe with 1 take off for the recirc oem dump valve.
My options are.

(1) V3 silicone intake (good make) and blank unneeded take off's.
(2) 90 degree silicone elbow from turbo to stay top entry but on 18g
(3) custom aluminium hard pipe under manifold as per option 1 with take off for recirc.

Questions for option 1 are•
Best way to blank off unneeded take offs and Recommendations of make without costing a fortune. (Don't want pipe to collapse )

Questions for option 2•
Would this restrict air flow/performance of the 18g as it's would still be a top entry ish style.

Questions for option 3•
Would this be prone to heat soak/induction noise etc. Has anyone done this on their cars?

Thanks Tim.
Old 16 January 2015, 07:43 PM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

Hi Tim,

I am currently doing the same thing to my V2 with a VF48 though. Gonna be running a catch can also. Regarding the turbo inlet, My original idea was to run a hard pipe. However, suprisingly there is nothing you can buy that is just a pipe with no additional take offs.

I have a mate who is a welding/fabricating guru, but if you look at the aftermarket silicone pipes available you can see that on the turbo end, the hoses' angle slightly to clear the inlet pipework. This has put me off the hard pipe idea altogeather since I would hate to have something made up and find that on the day it dosent clear the IM. There is a silicone joiner you can get from America that has this odd angle but obliviously with postage is an expensive option.

My problem is I need my car every day, so when I commit to the job it will need to be done there and then no faffing aroound thinking i will have to get this or that.

So I'm going for the Viper inlet hose, which seems a reasonable cheapish option. I think it's fine to blank off the take offs with bolts and jubilee clips although I think you can buy bungs that will suit.

Do you need to do the newage powersteering mod?
Old 16 January 2015, 08:53 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply, nice to find someone going through the same sort of thing! I'm still open to which way im going to go at the moment so its intresting to hear your thoughts!!

I am running a later type power steering pump, but dont thinks its from a newage, ive certainly got more room than with the standard v2 round item though. I was hoping i can get a hard pipe of at least the turbo inlet size through the gap.

I have also noticed the slight bend in the silicone pipes at the turbo end to clear the inlet manifold, will need to have a good hard look at the angles etc when i get a few things stripped off.

Still unsure of the dv issue, im currently mafless and running a oem recirc type but wondering if i can run a vta so doing away with the need to fab a take off on the hard pipe for the recirc, what are u going to run for your set up?

I will have a look at the viper pipes, do u know what sort of quailty they are?

Tim.
Old 16 January 2015, 09:39 PM
Tom WRX RA
Scooby Regular

I run mafless too on an ESL board. I am DV'less on my current TDo5 but the VF series are less agreable with this according to others so I got a HKS VTA for the new setup. I'm sure running mafless you would be fine with a VTA DV as long as it's mapped of course.

I've been looking for a decent inlet hose for a while, I missed a Samco on Ebay a few days ago which I was gutted about. Read a thread on here about inlets and the Viper looks a good alternative to the expensive Samco and SFS items.

I just need to order the inlet now and should have everything I need, planning on taking photos and doing a write up on it in the tech archive.
Old 16 January 2015, 09:58 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

I shall look forward to your write up and pictures! Will check the viper stuff out and see what i think.

Thanks again Tim.
Old 17 January 2015, 06:27 PM
diffbuster
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by spudboytim
Hi guys,
Advice needed please, I'm going from a td05 16g top entry to a td05 18g front entry and wondering how best to go about the air intake side of things.
I've got the thermal spacers to lift the inlet, a catch can doing away with the breathers except the icv which I'm gonna use a mini k&n for.
So all I need is a intake pipe with 1 take off for the recirc oem dump valve.
My options are.

(1) V3 silicone intake (good make) and blank unneeded take off's.
(2) 90 degree silicone elbow from turbo to stay top entry but on 18g
(3) custom aluminium hard pipe under manifold as per option 1 with take off for recirc.

Questions for option 1 are•
Best way to blank off unneeded take offs and Recommendations of make without costing a fortune. (Don't want pipe to collapse )

Questions for option 2•
Would this restrict air flow/performance of the 18g as it's would still be a top entry ish style.

Questions for option 3•
Would this be prone to heat soak/induction noise etc. Has anyone done this on their cars?

Thanks Tim.
Hi i have elbow and sfs hoses required if your mafless will try and post pics car is now broken and no longer required.
Old 17 January 2015, 08:00 PM
spudboytim
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by diffbuster
Hi i have elbow and sfs hoses required if your mafless will try and post pics car is now broken and no longer required.
That would be great, or send them to my mob if it's easier. I'll pm u my number.

Thanks Tim.