Notices

Fuel pump controller, how's it work?

Search this Thread

Old 22 December 2014, 11:32 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel pump controller, how's it work?

Good morning, I'm aware there is a variable voltage or current? Fuel pump controller in the back my the fuel pump, several reasons why it's there, noise, wear heat etc.
Now there are two wires going to the ecu, does Anyone know the strategy for the controller and what sort of signal it requires?

I may have to put a relay in and run the pump flat chat all the time if it's too complicated.
Thanks
Old 22 December 2014, 11:41 AM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Google is pointing toward a PWM output on one wire and a conventional relay earth in the other? Perhaps someone can confirm ta
Old 22 December 2014, 12:34 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On which car? As I understand it (may be wrong) classics are just on or off. Newages had an actual FPC that altered the speed of the pump.
Old 22 December 2014, 01:11 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
On which car? As I understand it (may be wrong) classics are just on or off. Newages had an actual FPC that altered the speed of the pump.
Hi, I'm interested how the fpc works thanks boosted
Old 22 December 2014, 01:41 PM
gaborpapp
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure what you trying to achieve or do, but:

IF fuel pump is a selenoid.(not sure).... To control a selenoids you can use in most cases a Pulse Width Modulator. This is used to control injectors too, and nitrous, and other selenoirs etc.

What a PWM does, is giving you + 12 v and 0 V in a square vawe with all sorts of different frequencies in order to make pump give from 0 to 100% of the flow.

You can imagine the vave being this say with "_" as 0 volts and "-" as 12 volts.

Example of how PWM works is different lenght vawes::

__--__--__--__--__-- = this is 2 lines 0 volts and 2 lines 12 volts patern. this can be the Pulse width required for example 50% of the flow. half it agan, 1 line each cycle,

_-_-_-_-_- = you made it 50% slower now, 25% of the flow.

if you just have 1 continous line of ------ = 100% flow.

(source: electrical engineer, and also, building & program my own PWM for my nitrous system because ain't paying 300 for one).

Last edited by gaborpapp; 22 December 2014 at 01:44 PM.
Old 22 December 2014, 01:50 PM
boosted
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by gaborpapp
Not sure what you trying to achieve or do, but:

IF fuel pump is a selenoid.(not sure).... To control a selenoids you can use in most cases a Pulse Width Modulator. This is used to control injectors too, and nitrous, and other selenoirs etc.

What a PWM does, is giving you + 12 v and 0 V in a square vawe with all sorts of different frequencies in order to make pump give from 0 to 100% of the flow.

You can imagine the vave being this say with "_" as 0 volts and "-" as 12 volts.

Example of how PWM works is different lenght vawes::

__--__--__--__--__-- = this is 2 lines 0 volts and 2 lines 12 volts patern. this can be the Pulse width required for example 50% of the flow. half it agan, 1 line each cycle,

_-_-_-_-_- = you made it 50% slower now, 25% of the flow.

if you just have 1 continous line of ------ = 100% flow.

(source: electrical engineer, and also, building & program my own PWM for my nitrous system because ain't paying 300 for one).
Do you mean solenoid?
An efi fuel pump is a DC motor driven displacement pump.
I need to drive the fuel pump from a standalone ecu, usually it's a simple matter of earthing a relay. However subaru use a FPC in their newer cars, I am wondering what "FPC signal 1" and "FPC signal 2" wires are doing at the ecu? If one is earthed for slow running then the other is also earthed to create fast running then that is simple, but I somehow doubt that. I dare say I'm
Looking to wire te relay in conventionally