Notices

Boost issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2014, 10:56 PM
BlakeH
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boost issue?

I have searched everywhere trying to find a symptom similar to mine...
I bought an 02 bugeye last month and it was just making wastegate pressure when i bought it so looking about thought it would just need new vac hoses.

Modifications: Ecu Tek licensed ECU mapped by Andy Forrest (so it was claimed, no receipts) 3" downpipe decatted x2, prodrive 2.5" catback, walbro 255. ebay special dump valve. I think thats all the performance ones done.
(no boost gauge)

I replaced all the vac hoses still nothing.
Replaced the ebay dump valve for an original recirc valve still nothing.
Then i bought a 1.2mm pill as there wasn't one fitted when i bought it and woohoo we have boost!

Got a CEL come up and scanned it (with a VAG obdII scanner if that makes a difference and maybe caused the problem if anyone knows?) and it was p340 camshaft position sensor fault after I took it to high revs in second gear.
I cleared the code thinking maybe it was just a knock or something putting it off and after that it has just been making wastegate pressure.
I changed the camshaft position sensor thinking that might be the fault with the boost, still nothing.
The turbo to downpipe was blowing so I changed the gasket as one of the studs were broken to sealed it up and got a G-clamp on it until i can get a right angle drill to drill out the broken stud (no more blowing exhaust but still not making boost) I'm running out of ideas so if anyone could help that would be greatly appreciated.
Actuator seems to work as it's meant too tried the bicycle pump trick

My thoughts since I cleared the code with a VAG OBDII reader could that mucked things up?

Cheers
Blake

Last edited by BlakeH; 02 November 2014 at 10:58 PM.
Old 03 December 2014, 09:37 PM
BlakeH
Scooby Newbie

I have changed the neutral position switch, up pipe and all gaskets. Still not making full boost.. I think it may be the turbo actuator, can these be changed in situ without having to remove the turbo?
Old 03 December 2014, 10:31 PM
XDevil666
Scooby Regular

Pull your wastegate pipe off and see if it hits full boost, (only attempt this on a single attempt though) will put the management light on , but at atleast then you will know you can hit boost
Old 04 December 2014, 12:59 PM
MrNoisy
Supporting Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems like a strange question to ask but have you thought about visiting a mapper? By driving an unknown car (previously with no restrict or pill on turbo) on an unknown and unproven map you could be doing no end of damage (although it's possible damage already done I suppose).

Some fault codes are indicative of other issues that an experienced mapper should be able to point you toward.

Just a thought to save you replacing more bits which might be absolutely fine!
Old 04 December 2014, 02:25 PM
AudiMan
Scooby Regular

Check and confirm you have the plumbing with the pill the right way round, needs to be near the turbo not the other side of the T.
And yes - you should be able to change the actuator with the turbo in situ.
Old 04 December 2014, 03:33 PM
joz8968
Scooby Regular

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AudiMan
Check and confirm you have the plumbing with the pill the right way round, needs to be near the turbo not the other side of the T...
To illustrate the above:

Old 05 December 2014, 09:46 PM
BlakeH
Scooby Newbie

Trending Topics

Old 05 December 2014, 09:50 PM
BlakeH
Scooby Newbie

I replaced all the parts i have done so far because they had failed or been crap parts.
I pulled the vac hose from the actuator it made slightly more boost but nothing mad, i think it might be a boost leak will get it checked by a mapper some point it was only bought as a winter car but it's quite good fun so wanting to sort it out a bit more
Old 02 February 2018, 08:35 PM
Taz_devil
Scooby Newbie

Did you ever sort this issue out? I'm in a similar boat. I'm making about 11-12 psi on my newly acquired bug eye, doesn't seem quite right