Notices

Which cat to replace

Search this Thread

Old 02 November 2014, 12:19 AM
ven
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which cat to replace

Hi all,quick over view,2002 bugeye,replaced rear exhaust with a 2.5" bore cobra section. Replaced filter with K&N panel filter,so which of the 2 cats is best to remove(would prefer too keep one). Down pipe or 2nd cat??

My plans are for a re-map of 260-280 Shetland ponies .........nothing more.

No other performance mods as i dont need/want etc.

So before re-map,and for a little extra gain(if it will make any or much difference,i guess 5-10hp) The bore i would keep as 2.5" due to rear being 2.5".
The rest of the zaust is 2.25" iirc and i dont want too intrusive/loud,it sounds perfect for me the flat 4 burble as is..........

So advice is all welcome please,i have researched and researched ,and struggle with the cat and which one.

If removing both is highly advised i will go with that,but rather less at MOT time if possible and again i am not after ***** out performance,just earlier boost,smoother etc and better all round.

I am not too bothered on rolling road read outs either tbh,so if anyone local to Manchester can plug and play that is even easier for me regarding re-map if have the software etc

Would removing a cat post re-map make a difference? is it enough or would the car be able to adjust the parameter difference?

Thank you in advance for tips,advice etc,i just want to do it right 1st time off,but same time dont want to spend an arm and a leg there are no plans for high power,just usable reliable extra poke

Sorry as i know there is so much on this and asked so many times,trouble is the more i read the more things change. The exhaust has been fitted before i planned on any mods at all............now already looking at loosing a cat and re-map After this it will be cosmetic............honest

Have spoke to Simon who was very helpful,pre-zaust etc but again not too bothered with rolling road and believe it can be done on road........

regards ven
Old 02 November 2014, 01:25 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

After previously going down the same route... Its advisable to leave the cats in place until your ready for your remap. Its highly likely it will throw a cel (check engine light) and may or may not run correctly and you wont gain the benefits until its mapped for the change in extra air flow.

To get you as close to 280bhp as possible ideally u should replace your stock 2 piece catted downpipe for an aftermarket 1 piece decat downpipe and perhaps replace the standard resonated centre section for an aftermarket straight through pipe.

You will also need to upgrade your fuel pump for a 255lph unit and for earlier spool and a little extra torque and power you could replace the standard catted turbo up pipe for for a sti uncatted up pipe. A new set of ngk pfr6b spark plugs wouldnt go a miss if they havnt been changed in a while. Those mods should get you the most out of the turbo you currently have and between 260-280 bhp if everything else is in order.

Hope this help
Old 02 November 2014, 01:10 AM
ven
Scooby Regular

It certainly does help thank you plugs have just been changed on 27th Aug this year by subaru,so should be ok then.

Anywhere 260-280 is good for me,so zaust 1st then re-map.

If by slim chance at a later date and maybe decide on maybe changing down pipe(not sure being honest yet) then will require a full re-map again or would it be less?

I am trying in a way to keep costs down to an extent ,dont mind 100-200 on sorting a cat out then re-map so say 700 ish. Dont want to be getting close to 1k as then i might as well bought an sti (maybe i should have )

Just a few more ponies,little more boost,if this means 270hp rather than 280 and its £200 cheaper i am happy saving the £200 if makes sense as its not over important for my use.

In short it will be cold for school runs and roads...........
Motorway i use is 50mph limited till 2017 anyway,so fun is limited local......

I should of got a prius!!! i would rather walk on glass.......

Thanks again
Old 02 November 2014, 01:27 AM
Dubzy
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Anytime you make changes to the airflow either intake or exhaust flow its advised to get a map tweak or just checked at the very least so its most cost effective to get everything u plan on doing before your initial remap.

Rough prices are : new decat downpipe £130, new unresonated centre pipe £80, new fuel pump £75, used sti up pipe £40 and an open source remap from a reputable tuner £350 so roughly £700 all in and achievable in your budget. Future map tweaks usually start at around £100..
Old 02 November 2014, 11:05 AM
ven
Scooby Regular

Many thanks Dubzy again will look into the open source re-map,it does get a little confusing as appears several types of"brands" so to speak of re-maps.

£350 sounds good to me,just need somewhere local-ish come time

Thanks again for info