Notices

Bleeding ABS on hatchback WRX

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2014, 06:28 PM
uk2006wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Bleeding ABS on hatchback WRX

I recently removed the calipers to paint them on my 08 wrx, and the pipe was n't quite pinched off, so overnight the fluid drained out from one of the master cylinder circuits. When reassembled i had to bleed the master cylinder aswell to get the brakes to work. The problem is now they keep coming back spongy so I am sure I have trapped air in the ABS module. I have tried to cycle the ABS by braking to try to release the air . Is there a reliable way of cycling the ABS without the Subaru select monitor? I've found posts about shorting the diagnostic connector, but not sure if they apply to the hatch?
Old 02 November 2014, 02:37 PM
rob84
Scooby Regular

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

We don't usually have to work the abs to bleed the circuit, Usually engine off and a small pipe attached to the bleed nipple (BEST IF ITS CLEAR), open the nipple and pump the pedal approx 15 times (KEEP AN EYE ON THE FLUID LEVEL) & close the nipple, the pipe ensures no air can track back into the nipple when releasing the pedal. I do them in the following sequence, Start furthest away from the master cylinder, Passenger rear, drivers front, drivers rear, passenger front.
Old 02 November 2014, 06:51 PM
uk2006wrx
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the order I was doing it in, but had seen posts on US forums saying that the Subaru order was different so that's good to know the way I was doing it was ok. I had n't been pumping the pedal as I've always been told when you release it, the air would suck back in, so I closed the nipple before releasing each time. If you normally do 15, I don't think I've done enough as I did it each time until no more air came out, but maybe its just trapped further up. I'll try it a bit more thoroughly again. cheers.