Notices

Coolant bugeye wrx

Search this Thread

Old 26 October 2014, 01:09 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coolant bugeye wrx

Hi all and i am sorry about no doubt being the 1,000,000th time but i cant find exact methods.

Its a 2002 bugeye wrx impreza ,now coolant near header does show a pinky colour but in rad and plastic exp bottle its got an orange look......
I am maybe looking along lines of
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/eng...-5-litres#tab1

And i get trade too so even cheaper,its OAT so should be fine.
I can see the tap on the drivers side of rad which i need a 3yr old to reach

I dont have ramps as never needed on previous 4x4(roll under and work).
I have no coolant loss,no over heating and both fans kick in as should. No sludge,deposits in the coolant(not even micro bits of broken down rubber from pipes etc)

Is there an easy drain way on the drive to do,i dont want to flush system fully as i know this can cause issues in itself,just a case of draining as much coolant as possible then re-filling/burping etc in correct order.

Its a little confusing as its my 1st subaru,highest point would be the metal header(presume for turbo). Is it good practice to brim this and the rad,then start running squeezing hose to get air out.

Just a simple step by step would be so appreciated or a link to it please,as a lot seem to have the 2.5 or sti on here and not sure if same principles......

Or am i being too nerdy with the coolant........it has no small rust deposits in,all oils etc were changed by subaru a couple of k ago,eng oil is like new as with others. No loss,no overheating,no contamination,no oil,no froth,no bubbles..........

Is it normal(12yrs old) that the coolant will discolour due to age ........

Please excuse my newb questions that no doubt have been answered many times before. I have spent yesterday and last night,this morning searching info and still

Thanks for time and yes i could have probably done the job in the time i have typed this post just want to get it right and IF i do need to do it

Thank you again ven
Old 26 October 2014, 03:42 PM
DJB3
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Difficult to assess quality and colour of coolant by looking below cap. Mine looks dirty brown at header tank but is actually pink. You can drain down system by opening tap at bottom of rad (best to access from below) or by taking lower (large) rad hose off. Best to refill at header tank. Personally I lift nose of car (either jack up or park on slope), remove rad cap and slowly fill header until coolant comes out of rad. I then replace rad cap and top up header. You should replace coolant every 2 years or so using 50/50 mix. Should take about 7 litres.
Old 26 October 2014, 04:49 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by DJB3
Difficult to assess quality and colour of coolant by looking below cap. Mine looks dirty brown at header tank but is actually pink. You can drain down system by opening tap at bottom of rad (best to access from below) or by taking lower (large) rad hose off. Best to refill at header tank. Personally I lift nose of car (either jack up or park on slope), remove rad cap and slowly fill header until coolant comes out of rad. I then replace rad cap and top up header. You should replace coolant every 2 years or so using 50/50 mix. Should take about 7 litres.

Many thanks for that,so i presume
Fill header till comes out of rad,cap back on rad,do i start to run the car then whilst topping header? Does it self bleed anyway like most motors?

Cheers,yes usually do every 2 years ish on past motors
Used to 50/50 mix also so good there.
Thanks for the 7L info

Thanks a lot ven
Old 26 October 2014, 05:00 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

Too add i double checked(even though subaru stamps),air filter is new,belts are new(knew this anyway) and oil,brake fluid etc etc all look new.

So it threw me why the orange colour ,maybe i am worrying over nothing as its been at subaru all its life.

I have contacts for garage in the FSH so it might be a good idea to ring them

Thank you again for your time.
Old 27 October 2014, 11:51 AM
ven
Scooby Regular

Hi there,as a follow up(dont like things left ) i rang the subaru garage of its life this morning. Very nice guy ,gave reg and told me plugs/all filters/oils etc all done in August.

I mentioned about the coolant being like an orange colour but looks pink too,he said his subaru is the same also...........maybe its the pink coolant then,just with time changes a little...............told him no contamination in anyway with rust particles etc........
He did mention they investigated an oil leak
So naturally i asked where,could it be on rockers???,he said slight leak from sump or traced to that(they MOTed it anyway so not a fail and not leaving any oil on floor from under pan).

So my mind is more at rest now(until someone tells me its an engine out for sump gasket),again thanks for input DJ and it does appear a more normal than thought coolant ............well not issue but condition.

Cheers ven
Hope maybe help to others who may have similar worries/thoughts in future(newbies like me)
Old 27 October 2014, 03:22 PM
ven
Scooby Regular

I thought i would add this too,i nipped halfords for the OAT ready mix for the "just in case" times. I thought i would check the focus(also pink coolant) and was a little under max,being a bit fastidious i topped up 200ml ish and spilled a small amount of PINK coolant onto a black cap.........

Yep you guessed it........ORANGE looking like rust so for anyone reading,guess it 100% confirms that pink coolant makes your car look *beeped* ...............not impressed over that at all,but piece of mind that all is good.

Just wanted to share for anyone who may come across this and the system is full of rust..........

Thanks again,please forgive my newbieness but better to be safe than..........

Regards ven