A point in the power direction...without opening a tin of worms

Search this Thread

Old 27 August 2014, 07:43 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A point in the power direction...without opening a tin of worms

Hi fella's

Relatively new to the scooby scene and I am on that "modify" slippery slope... I currently own a 53 Impreza WRX, all standard with the exception to an Afterburner Vortex cat back system so effectively a blank canvas. I'm looking to get to around 325-350bhp BUT with reliability being kept as priority as the car is a daily driver (100 miles+/- a week). I'm not a power chaser looking at impossible numbers as I know the WRX isn't the best base to start with and as much as I would like a power house (after reading bigarfs 700bhp scoob which is just incredible) I'm a realist... I want the "wolf in sheeps clothing" as I am going to retain the WRX look, with the exception of the exhaust. I understand this forum is full of knowledge and experience so please throw your advice/ideas/experiences/cost estimations my way :-)
Old 27 August 2014, 08:44 PM
smiffywhu
Scooby Regular

there will be loads of great advice regarding power, just remember to upgrade your brakes (and handling) too

Last edited by smiffywhu; 28 August 2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 27 August 2014, 09:12 PM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

Well you can always start with stage 1 (better fuel pump and remap) and that will get you to260-280bhp and will totally change wrx.

Stage 2 would be FPR,open neck downpipe,vf34/vf35/vf43/td05 16g and 330-350 is possible......but with that power you will risk gearbox failure.
Old 27 August 2014, 09:14 PM
scooblet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Que fat thomas....
Old 27 August 2014, 09:21 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

As usual.......
I recommend looking up Andy Forrest's web page, it tells you all you need at the moment
Old 27 August 2014, 09:21 PM
birchy2010
Scooby Regular

Honestly. Been there and done that. I'd recommend doing handling mods wayyyyyyy before starting power mods. Power is nothing without control. If your doing power you need to at least think of the brakes.
Realistically you can run up to 400 foot pounds of torque through a 5 speed and as long as you take it easy could last for years. Most fail around 300/300 as it's the torque not power that kills it. Had a previous fail on me running 320/320 on a vf35 with sti up pipe. Decat exhaust. Pink injectors and walbro plus a remap which I think was a couple of £k in total with a Exedy clutch too.

My car eventually went to a near 500hp with a 6 speed but was just breaking stuff all the time and overwhelmed loads of components.

Depending how deep you want to go you can do everything and make silly power.
Old 27 August 2014, 11:01 PM
blackvenom
Scooby Regular

I would sell it and buy an sti for that power, would be cheaper , tho as its been said, sort the handling ( tyres, anti roll bars, drop links, brakes, suspension etc) and go for a stage 2 set up ( decats, remap, air filter, intercooler pipe,vf34/35 turbo, fuel pump) for a completely different feeling motor (300bhp~ 320bhp)

Last edited by blackvenom; 27 August 2014 at 11:03 PM.

Trending Topics

Old 28 August 2014, 02:24 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by WRX 2312
Hi fella's

Relatively new to the scooby scene and I am on that "modify" slippery slope... I currently own a 53 Impreza WRX, all standard with the exception to an Afterburner Vortex cat back system so effectively a blank canvas. I'm looking to get to around 325-350bhp BUT with reliability being kept as priority as the car is a daily driver (100 miles+/- a week). I'm not a power chaser looking at impossible numbers as I know the WRX isn't the best base to start with and as much as I would like a power house (after reading bigarfs 700bhp scoob which is just incredible) I'm a realist... I want the "wolf in sheeps clothing" as I am going to retain the WRX look, with the exception of the exhaust. I understand this forum is full of knowledge and experience so please throw your advice/ideas/experiences/cost estimations my way :-)
Hi there

Welcome to Scoobynet

Sadly,you are chosen wrong car as "blank canvas" there.Everybody starts as you and everybody is not power chaser like you are right now.

From personal experience,if you want go beyond certain power 350bhp,then I would sell the car and get STI,above that,everything starts to be more expensive and if its worth,hard to say....

But to yours plans,i would probably start with decatting exhaust,good downpipe without the cat will help

Here are mods what I would do:

2.5" downpipe(depends on yours existing exhaust,if its 3" then 3" DP,if its 2.5" then 2.5" DP)

255LPH Walbro pump(HRC are good too,we have used this without the issue)

STI TMIC or FMIC,depends on more factors,but for sleeper look I would choose STI TMIC

VF35 or TD05-16G,if its budget then VF34 I would choose

Decatted Up pipe,harvey Up pipe gets my vote,but if budget is lower,then good STI one should help you

STi pink injectors will be needed

If everything will like is planned then I would say 330-350bhp is possible

Don't forget upgrade yours brakes at least to Brembo brake callipers,will worth it,standard OE 4pots are not the best for heavy New age,on classic they're OK,but still I would upgrade them

ARB's are too on the list with good droplinks,if you want push car on road or enjoy nice fast road driving

Don't go with coilovers,good shock and spring combo will save you lots of money and you still enjoy nice driving

Hope this helps

Thanks,Jura
Old 28 August 2014, 08:08 AM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Cheers guys, really appreciate all your input and please, keep it coming as all helps in the long run.
Was it REALLY a bad move buying a WRX to look for power increases? Would I be, as my title says, opening a tin of worms by modifying the WRX? I know under power increases they arent as reliable as the STI so in the grand scheme do you guys think it is worth it or should I cut my losses?? My original plan was to decat, panel filter, fuel pump, 3 port and then remap for hopefully around 280bhp. I will be upgrading handling and braking in parallel with the power increase, what's the point in being able to go quite fast without the ability to stop fast too
Old 28 August 2014, 09:25 AM
beliblisk
Scooby Regular

In a long run STI will be cheaper.Only question isnif you have funds to sell wrx and buy STI.
You can also buy slightly modded to start with:P
Old 28 August 2014, 09:49 AM
MATT93
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by beliblisk
In a long run STI will be cheaper.Only question isnif you have funds to sell wrx and buy STI.
You can also buy slightly modded to start with:P
Should have just bought an STI......
Old 28 August 2014, 10:23 AM
fawor
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 for sti but already moded
wrx owner
mine is with ppp on lpg,
done handling mods arb's,drop links alk , roll centre ,coilovers , strut braces and chevron geo plus ksport brakes
just swap sparks on step colder , have k&n filter, exedy pink clutch
its great base for more power now but no sense
prices
sparks 40
downpipe 100
intercooler 100
injectors 100
3 port 30
fuel pump 60
filter 35
turbo vf34 400 +-
remap 450+(not sure with this)
probably your clutch will go with 350hp next 500 quid fitted
and still turbo spool will be worst than the same turbo on sti
on sti new turbo ,harvey uppipe fuel pump remap and You are close to 400 with not bad brakes and proper gearbox

Last edited by fawor; 28 August 2014 at 10:27 AM.
Old 28 August 2014, 11:18 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

As above, chasing power with a WRX is a waste of money, by the time you've done the brakes, handling and suspension to cope with 350 ish you'll be breaking the gear box and taking pot luck on the engine as well as the turbo and ancillaries to do 350bhp you'll be into the thick end of £4k is the reality unless you know how to DIY with all the labour costs involved for things like turbo and clutch.

I wouldn't advise going beyond a remap or cheaper still go for PPP which is prodrive performance pack and a simple re-flash of the ecu to bring you to around the 260bhp mark.

There have been many threads on here with this subject matter and they all end the same way, if you want a quickish comfy daily that's a jack of all trades then buy a WRX, if your into modding then buy an STI every time as it will save you a fortune and take up to 450bhp with no real issues if done properly. A couple of grand will see a very healthy power increase with all the parts already in place to cope with 400bhp, just a bigger turbo and remap will see high 300's which if you buy right could cost less than a grand.

There is also the fact that many mildly modded STI's come up for sale that are already around the 350bhp mark for between £6/8k you'll spunk that on a wrx to get there and never be able to use it with confidence as well as never getting the money back.
Old 28 August 2014, 06:49 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

So....I think it has been concluded that an STI would be the better route lol would it be worth remapping the WRX in its current form? Will have to wait until the work picks up offshore again then will part ways with the WRX :-(

Would an STI differ much in fuel economy to the WRX?? I'm not looking for the "if you're asking that you can't afford it" fuel isn't really an issue I'm more curious than anything else. Cheers again for all your input
Old 28 August 2014, 07:09 PM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

WRX is better on fuel, but if you mod it to sti levels then not by much.
Sti 20 to 28, wrx 28 to 36, those are my figures in my wrx but i'd say most see 25 / 30.
Old 28 August 2014, 07:18 PM
WRX 2312
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by ditchmyster
WRX is better on fuel, but if you mod it to sti levels then not by much.
Sti 20 to 28, wrx 28 to 36, those are my figures in my wrx but i'd say most see 25 / 30.
I'm averaging about 28-30 with careful driving but it isn't easy with the exhaust note. I've been trawling the net and it seems for a good low mileage STI with or without mods there won't be much change from £8k+...I'm only after a blobeye, are these cars over priced or just highly valued??? The WRX in its current condition would do well to get near £4,750