Notices

Rear washer bottle conversion too I/C bottle help

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2014, 10:29 PM
Blocks85
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear washer bottle conversion too I/C bottle help

I've done this conversion of using the rear I/c bottle for the washer jets but I'm not convinced the power is as good as when it's up front etc.

I can appreciate the extra length of pipe so maybe will be down on power plus I find the washer jets don't cut off as well so water over the bonnet.

Can I use the pump from the old original washer bottle? As in is it more powerful and same fit as I/c pump?.

I've changed the jets over to mist ones and they don't get on the screen so looking for a stronger pump? Anyone have any ideas of what is more powerful?

Thanks Chris
Old 01 August 2014, 10:01 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Try a pump at each end, you would need to use the same pump.
Old 02 August 2014, 07:06 AM
iain710
Scooby Regular

You could try a headlight washer pump,I think they are more powerful.
Old 02 August 2014, 12:30 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I used a generic bottle and pump on ebay for about £9 new mounted in the boot. Work's fine with loads of pressure through normal 3mm vac hose. Although I found that when I braked the fluid would spill out onto the bonnet due the force of the fluid being pushed fowards as apposed to having to go upwards in the normal setup. I fitted a pressure type check valve on each jet and this stops any leaks and only lets the fluid through when you activate it.
Old 04 August 2014, 02:35 PM
wrxyz
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
I used a generic bottle and pump on ebay for about £9 new mounted in the boot. Work's fine with loads of pressure through normal 3mm vac hose. Although I found that when I braked the fluid would spill out onto the bonnet due the force of the fluid being pushed fowards as apposed to having to go upwards in the normal setup. I fitted a pressure type check valve on each jet and this stops any leaks and only lets the fluid through when you activate it.
Oh well you have pretty much cracked it then, if you dont mind me adding, pressure hose would be better than vacuum, as even at that small diameter they perform differently. The pressure hose would deform less than the vacuum one.

Cheers.
Old 04 August 2014, 08:24 PM
iain710
Scooby Regular

Hi
Are you going to be running via a manual switch or is it going to be boost activated?
Old 05 August 2014, 01:08 AM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wrxyz
Oh well you have pretty much cracked it then, if you dont mind me adding, pressure hose would be better than vacuum, as even at that small diameter they perform differently. The pressure hose would deform less than the vacuum one.

Cheers.
Yeah I used silicon vac hose as its what I had. But you are right I'm sure. Also some vac hoses are softer then others. Cheap stuff deforms easily.