Hydraulics Problem, ideas appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 29 July 2014, 06:21 PM
stefjw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulics Problem, ideas appreciated

Hi Guys,

So I've got some kind of hydraulics problem on my 1997 STI Type R, its getting quite annoying.

What's happening is I'm losing, to an extent, my clutch and brakes. The clutch will not return to it's position after being pressed, it stays half way down. When this happens the brakes also lose alot of performance.

This only happens when the cars driven hard.

Now I think it's heat related, heatsoak, it happened the other day after being sat in stationary traffic for a while and it also happens if I'm on the 1/4 getting ready to launch. I'm pretty sure when I originally bought the car this never happened.

The exhaust is heat wrapped, the turbo has a heat shield on it and even the hydraulic reservoir has a small shield on it.

I've no idea what's causing it, the fluids been changed many times. Id have thought when I was having a spirited drive plenty of air would get in the engine bay to keep it cool, so that'd throw my heat theory out the window ?

I'm lost, any help guys ?

Even a guess is good
Old 29 July 2014, 06:23 PM
stefjw
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just to add, I know to expect heatsoak and brake fade to an extent but this happens far too easily to be just down to these factors I think