Notices

What calipers come standard on a 1995 wrx?

Search this Thread

Old 27 July 2014, 06:26 PM
Smiff65
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What calipers come standard on a 1995 wrx?

I bought my 1995 wrx with 4 pot calipers already on but the brakes are crap, Iv been told it's because somebody has uprated the front brakes but not the brake servo etc. Can this be solved by putting the original brakes back on the front? And if so is it the 2 pots that I need??
Old 27 July 2014, 06:31 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Whoever told you that is speaking out of their ****. 4 pots are a bolt on upgrade, no need to upgrade master cyl until you go big brakes like Brembos.

If discs and pads are ok, might be sticking calipers, or a change in fluid needed.
Old 27 July 2014, 06:32 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Smiff65
I bought my 1995 wrx with 4 pot calipers already on but the brakes are crap, Iv been told it's because somebody has uprated the front brakes but not the brake servo etc. Can this be solved by putting the original brakes back on the front? And if so is it the 2 pots that I need??
Fairly certain it will be two pots... but I wouldn't go from four to two's. It's a step backwards. Better off changing the servo? They are cheaper then a set of brakes. Maybe a bit harder to fit but still... Of course it could also be that the pads and discs you have are crap, the fluid of hoses are shot, there is air in the system or simply that the four pots you have have rusted and seized pistons?
Old 27 July 2014, 06:34 PM
Smiff65
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

He's done the same sort of thing on his 205 gti and had the same problem until he changed the servo and master cylinder etc. I've bled all four calipers, checked for any leaks or splits in the vacuum pipe. All the disks n pad are pretty new aswell, unless it the actual brake servo that's gone?
Old 27 July 2014, 06:42 PM
rossyboy
Scooby Regular

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

If it is the servo, just change it like for like with a new/guaranteed one. If you really want to upgrade the system, then all you need is a master cyl from an STI 7/8 car, but not the servo.

The cyl is a straight swap for the OE cyl, but the servo from the STI 7/8 will not fit in the space that your current servo sits. I know because I have the upgrade cyl in my 1993 car.
Old 27 July 2014, 06:46 PM
myblackwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2 pots were standard
4 pots are a perfectly fine upgrade (I did that upgrade on my 93wrx and nothing but the calipers/discs/pads were required).

Just to reiterate one of the points already made check the pistons are moving freely as they suffer terribly from sticky pistons.

If you can remove the calipers and test that each piston is fine,if not then a refurb is in order.