Rear diff endcap/case removal with diff in situe

Search this Thread

Old 18 July 2014, 12:30 PM
skypeller
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear diff endcap/case removal with diff in situe

Hi
does anybody know if i can remove my rear diff end cap with the diff in situe so i can powdercoat or paint it and remove the overtight filler plug in the machineshop/vice
As far as im aware the two studs unwind from the end cap that bolt to the diff support.... Not sure how easy that actually is with these cars being a bit old and rusty now.

Car: 1999 impreza turbo 2000 uk
Old 18 July 2014, 03:59 PM
AWDsu
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ive just done a siimilar operation on our 2001 legacy, but needed to drop the subframe in the end.

basically , there are four bolts on the incoming propeller shaft to remove , to do this you need to be able to rotate the prop shaft by a minimum half turn.
they werent exeptionally tight , but note the locating lugs when you rebuild.
the diff has two bolts at the front holding the front prop end. There are also two bolts/studs with nuts passing thru the diff in the horizontal plane from the backplate to the mounting. but the frame obscured the plate from coming off on our legacy. The plate seems to be alluminium/ally alloy. The bolts around the perimeter are steel and rusty, this corrosion with ally is a worry, so becareful not to 'round' off the nut faces, try to use a six sided socket. beware that oil will come out as soon as the plate goes loose and the gasket seal has broken, you could do with a new gasket b4u start.
GoodLuck.