Need some advice - Sell up or Repair

Search this Thread

Old 16 July 2014, 08:36 PM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some advice - Sell up or Repair

Hi all,

I m told by the mechanic that my head gasket has gone, no idea what sort of cost it will be or if that could escalate due to other parts/damage.

Do I sell it for parts? what's it worth - the cars great other than this
Do I repair her - how much? worst case?
Strip it for parts? not sure on this one, I haven't got the time?

Basically, the main pipe from rad fell off = no water, immediately pulled over, no smoke but too late. Still waiting for the full assessment, but he thinks the head gasket.

03, Blob, wrx ppp
Old 16 July 2014, 08:50 PM
quattroowner
Scooby Regular

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Wait to get a full assessment done by a well known or trusted Subaru garage, Were about's you live and i am sure someone be along to recommend one.

Best to keep it really, Circa 1k ish max for new headgaskets,timing belt etc. Leave's you with a pretty fresh engine. And you get some piece of mind

Worst case is you've warped the heads due to excessive heat. However a compression test + sniff test will give a far more accurate answer.

Hope it work's out all okay
Old 16 July 2014, 09:32 PM
dj219957
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

in this process at the moment. im doing the bearings as well. if all goes to plan it will have cost me 360 quid.
Old 16 July 2014, 09:46 PM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

Thanks chaps, live in Derby - called Scooby clinic and they said £3500 and offered me £1000 to buy it off me ?

Would sell it but want more than that.
Old 16 July 2014, 09:49 PM
R12CYS
Scooby Regular

I leave the mechanicals to them that know, so if I repair it I will pay someone to do it
Old 17 July 2014, 04:19 AM
waller200
Scooby Newbie

yes for sure
Old 17 July 2014, 06:26 AM
cookstar
Scooby Regular

I'l give you £1200.

Trending Topics

Old 17 July 2014, 07:16 AM
ditchmyster
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Your between a rock and a hard place, it's worth maybe £3/3.5k in good working order and the cheapest your going to get a secondhand engine including take out and refit is circa £2k, because your not doing the work yourself, full rebuild as Scooby clinic quoted £3.5k is a fair price and pretty much the going rate.

I wouldn't chance just doing the head gaskets as these engines have a habit of screwing the big end bearings after a head gasket failure, although you may be one of the lucky ones due to the fact it lost all the water all at once and your HG failure is most likely due to warped heads, but it's still a roll of the dice.

The question you need to ask yourself is do you love the car that much that you want to sink up to £3.5k into it or just take the money on the table and go elsewhere car wise. A grand isn't such a bad offer for that car with a broken engine and unless you break it yourself i'd doubt you'll get much more.

Decisions, decisions.
Old 17 July 2014, 12:08 PM
maci
Scooby Regular

you should be 100% sure that the HG failed before you do anything else, I'd say.

I had something similar, a huge leak on the top radiator hose on my brand new forged very expensive engine! I pulled over fast enough, but not immediately. In the end i drove 10 miles to the nearest petrol station with the water gauge almost at max ... I filled up 3 l of coolant there... I had huge smoke and smell too.

Was very afraid my HG is gone on my brand new engine, but seems I was lucky enough that it didn't. How do I know ? I covered since about 500 miles and did a lot of hard pulls. If you have a HG failure, the oil will go to the coolant, so you will see bubbles in the expansion tank and your coolant level will increase and change color too.

There are some tools to buy which can be use to test the coolant if it has any oil in it, but i didn't bother. Instead I bought some proper silicon radiator hoses.

In your case, if you lost all water, it might be different. But if you stopped very quickly, you might be lucky, so don't give up yet.

I'd fix the radiator hoses, fill up with coolant and watch closely what happens(note that you need to take the air out of the system after you put in new coolant).

my 2 cents...
Old 17 July 2014, 12:23 PM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

grand for headgaskets, lol.

headgasket goes its full rebuild job inc bottom end, especial given the age. Bearing will be worn and getting tired and need doing as well.
Old 19 July 2014, 02:20 PM
giz1978
Scooby Regular

i would block test first then rebuild. you can get a good rebuild for about 1500 with acl bearings. The only problem would be if there is damge to the bore