Notices

cylinder head spec choices ??

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2014, 08:08 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cylinder head spec choices ??

Morning people , I'm in a bit of a pickle on what to do . I'm currently building a CDB 2.1 and i'm going to run P1 heads , Now little while ago i got a full set of supertech valve train from on hear with what i was told lateral high lift cams . Now yes they are lateral cams but 2 different specs 1 set being massively more aggresive and i dont know how they will act running together . My goals are to break to 500 barrier at some point and i know standard cams will do this . Ok so do i just fit the full supertech valve train /valves ,guides,retainers and double valve springs with standard cams ? or with the up rated cams and take a chance? or sell the lot apart from valves and stick to standard valve train ?? your input would help alot

Also got Brian crower adjustable pulleys
Old 11 July 2014, 09:53 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

The safe thing is to fit the valve train and std cams, do you know how to fit the cams and check for piston-valve clearance and time them up?
Old 11 July 2014, 09:59 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wms-racing
The safe thing is to fit the valve train and std cams, do you know how to fit the cams and check for piston-valve clearance and time them up?
just what i wanted to hear fitting cams and fittiing belt etc is no problem but dialing in after would need an expert hand
Old 11 July 2014, 10:47 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

It does depend how much over 500 you want though, the new valves will flow better and you should break the 500 mark, much more and you will need cams though.
Old 11 July 2014, 11:09 AM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

sorry to hijack the thread, but if I may ask:

when going 2.1 stroker, a lot of people say one must go v3 or v4 sti heads. why is that?

surely AVCS heads would be of benefit to pass 500? no?

going from that, what about the big port jap ej207 heads? would they not be even better? looking at the prices they are cheap as well, have seen them here for 350 for a set and there as a set on ebay that did not sell for 100...

Thanks.
Old 11 July 2014, 11:23 AM
l70byb.
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by netbeast
sorry to hijack the thread, but if I may ask:

when going 2.1 stroker, a lot of people say one must go v3 or v4 sti heads. why is that?

surely AVCS heads would be of benefit to pass 500? no?

going from that, what about the big port jap ej207 heads? would they not be even better? looking at the prices they are cheap as well, have seen them here for 350 for a set and there as a set on ebay that did not sell for 100...

Thanks.
V3/4 heads have a different manifold pattern so wont work on later v5 onwards, Yes AVCS would be better for spool and low down torque but dont think they are much better for over all power and if wrx without Avcs then wiring and ecu need to be changed
Old 11 July 2014, 11:28 AM
netbeast
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by l70byb.
V3/4 heads have a different manifold pattern so wont work on later v5 onwards, Yes AVCS would be better for spool and low down torque but dont think they are much better for over all power and if wrx without Avcs then wiring and ecu need to be changed
i do not think that at the general scope of pricing the loom and ecu cost will be of much difference - 40 quid for the loom and another 100 for the ECU, but then think of the cost of mapping...

anyway, thanks for the answer.