Notices

Running with no Downpipe Support Bracket?

Search this Thread

Old 24 June 2014, 09:40 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running with no Downpipe Support Bracket?

Hi,

I am in the process of fitting a decat downpipe to my 95 WRX and have noticed the original centre gearbox bracket has been taken off the car for some reason.

I would really like to get the new downpipe up seeing as I have a ramp for the day but am concerned about the lack of support for the new downpipe.

My intention is to find the correct mount but in the mean time what damage am i likely to do running around without one on? - has anyone done this?

The pipe is a fair bit lighter than the original cat so there doesn't seem to be an awful lot of weight to support but having never owned a Subaru I don't the risks/stresses it will place on the turbo?

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Old 24 June 2014, 10:08 AM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Due to engine and exhaust system movement, the downpipe flange joint will be stressed but worse than that, there will be stress on the turbo. Until you find something more permanent, rig up an exhaust clamp around the downpipe with an extension to the gearbox bracket mount point.

JohnD
Old 24 June 2014, 10:27 AM
optimus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks, I was thinking about using a universal clamp and extending it somehow but it will be a bit of a bodge, need to find a bracket sharpish...

Although if I don't go chucking it around corners it should give the whole system an easier life thus reducing the impact?