Notices

Help- alternator blue wire and dash after switch off

Search this Thread

Old 07 June 2014, 02:13 PM
PageyWRX05
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help- alternator blue wire and dash after switch off

Hoping someone out there know what's going on. Other threads haven't explained my issues.

So, had a problem with the alternator not charging. Bought a brand new Bosch unit with the smart features i.e. blue wire compatible. Now, with the blue wire connected the alternator does not charge. I ran a multimeter back to the cabin to check whilst driving. The battery was reading 12.35V but just fell under load. So the old advice of sticking the lights or fan on does not seem to be doing anything. In addition, with the blue wire connected there is an orange engine warning light showing constantly. When I let off the gas, a handbrake/brake warning light comes on and also a battery warning light.

Disconnecting the blue wire solves the issues aside from the orange light remaining. The charge reaches up to 13.80V and the battery is retaining power.

I've been in and out of the garage trying to figure out the issue. Apparently the blue wire is maintaining a connection all the way back to the ECU, so the only apparent thing left is a knackered ECU and/or pin E11 which the wire connects to.

Has anyone got a blooming clue what's going on?!

Also can any '05 or blob owners confirm what should stay on when the key is taken out of the ignition. My odometer and a red flashing key are showing and I'm sure they don't usually.

Car is standard UK 2005 WRX 2.0 turbo. No mods to any electrics or performance that might account for the issues.
Old 07 June 2014, 03:18 PM
Turbotits
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall the earlier ecu's have a different pollarity to the later ones within the software. e-mail a mapper to check. It sounds like the alternator is giving the wrong signal. i.e earth instead of live or vise versa