Cracked Headers !!! Need Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 14 May 2014, 10:11 PM
Subaru-UK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Headers !!! Need Help Please

Hi all

I have got some problems with my 2001 Wrx and i was hoping you lovely people could give me some advice. I would like to apologize in advance for the lengthly post and noob questions lol.

My problems is that the stainless steel manifold that is on my car has split in the collector and is unrepairable. I am well gutted and cant use my car until it gets fixed. I dont know what brand it is but i suspect its just a cheap one from Ebay. All i know about the header is i think that it is Equal length and it has a built in up pipe.

I was hoping you guys could give me some advice on replacement options based on my current setup as i really dont know what would suit my car best. As this has happend within a week of buying the car i am on abit of a budget, so i would like to get this fixed as cheap as possible. I will list all i know about the car and will ask my questions after.

EJ20 Subaru WRX Turbo
ScoobyWorld ECU Tek custom remap
XS Power TD05H-20G Turbo (Mitsubishi TD06 compressor wheel in a TD08 compressor housing capable of supporting 440 BHP)
ToyoSports extra large front mound intercooler coversion
Subaru OE ‘Pink’ STI fuel injectors 550cc
Walbro 255 LPH Racing fuel pump
XS power twin exit blow off valve
PowerTec Induction Kit
Stainless performance enlarged twin branch manifold (Cracked )
ScoobyWorld afterburner performance rear exhaust
JapParts stainless performance de-cat up pipe
ToyoSports Stainless 3” de-cat down pipe
ScoobyWorld stainless 3” middle exhaust
When it was last on the RR it produced 331.2 BHP with 300 FT/LB @ 1.4 bar.

I am guessing my car has been mapped with these headers on so ideally should i replace with another aftermarket unit ? If so will the car have to be mapped again ? Do i have any other choices for decent headers that are cheaper than GT spec ? could anyone point me in the right direction to some ?

or should i replace with the standard unit and have it mapped again as this will be more suited for my setup ?

The ECUTEK license has been purchased so i was wondering if i only have to pay for RR time to set the car up ? Would it be possible take it to another ECUTEK tuner that is closer to me or will i have to take it back to ScoobyWorld ? I only ask as ScoobyWorld is miles away from me and my car is in no fit state to go that distance.

I live in Sussex and i believe the closest place to me that does the software is Jolly Green Monster, but i have not been able to get hold of anyone there to ask these questions.

If any of you guys could advice me further it would be much appreciated.

Thanks millions in advance .........
Old 14 May 2014, 10:21 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am unsure on the ECUtek side of things, BUT, your headers cracked probably due to rubbish 304 grade stainless, so you are going to get the same problem with 99% of brands doing the same thing eventually.

Dont get fooled by high price tags (like RCM) their manifolds are exactly the same as the taiwan cheap ebay jobbies, you just get a nice box and an even nicer price tag.

I would get onto Alyn at AS Performance and get a set of standard headers that are ported with a harvey up pipe. They wont crack and will actually be an improvement over the crappy stainless ones!

Plus a map tweak to suit, it wont need a full remap, just the existing one modified!
Old 15 May 2014, 01:08 AM
Pramas
Scooby Regular

things are cheaper on the ECUTEK side once you have the license which you do, but a new mapper will charge roughly £300 since they will do a new map, the existing ECUTEK mapper will probaly charge closer to £150 to alter one of their exisiting maps
Old 15 May 2014, 02:47 AM
goatblower
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by JGlanzaV
I would get onto Alyn at AS Performance and get a set of standard headers that are ported with a harvey up pipe. They wont crack and will actually be an improvement over the crappy stainless ones!

Plus a map tweak to suit, it wont need a full remap, just the existing one modified!
+1
Old 15 May 2014, 05:56 AM
goffemannen
Scooby Regular

I am unsure on the ECUtek side of things, BUT, your headers cracked probably due to rubbish 304 grade stainless, so you are going to get the same problem with 99% of brands doing the same thing eventually.

Dont get fooled by high price tags (like RCM) their manifolds are exactly the same as the taiwan cheap ebay jobbies, you just get a nice box and an even nicer price tag.

This is one of the reasons why I am gonna buy Killer B Motorsports Holy Headers for my build. Sure, they are twice as much as tomei/RCM etc but they aren't 304 grade steel either. Instead they are 321 and that's why they are twice as much to purchase.
Old 15 May 2014, 09:59 AM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by goffemannen
This is one of the reasons why I am gonna buy Killer B Motorsports Holy Headers for my build. Sure, they are twice as much as tomei/RCM etc but they aren't 304 grade steel either. Instead they are 321 and that's why they are twice as much to purchase.
I am well aware of this, check my build

https://www.scoobynet.com/projects-4...sic-scoob.html
Old 16 May 2014, 01:51 PM
Subaru-UK
Scooby Newbie

Thanks for the replys i really appreciate it. I have read up on standard ported headers and Harvey's uppipe and from what i read it seems like a popular choice and worth every penny. But this will require me to have to map the car again and i would like to try and avoid this if i can.

I say this because it would cost me more and take longer for me to get the car fixed, its my DD and i need the car on the road ASAP. Ported headers, uppipe and map is roughly £700. Isnt there a cheaper option ?

As the car has already been mapped for headers wouldnt it be cheaper and easier just to replace with a decent set of SS headers and not have to map the car again ?

Or if i fitted the standard manifold and got the car mapped would it still achieve around the 330 bhp mark i have now ? If so will i need a decent uppipe ?

I am happy with this power and not looking to go any further for now. I also i think these are the cheapest option to a fix i have ?

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing your views and answers to my questions i have asked in this post.

Trending Topics

Old 16 May 2014, 03:09 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Subaru-UK
Thanks for the replys i really appreciate it. I have read up on standard ported headers and Harvey's uppipe and from what i read it seems like a popular choice and worth every penny. But this will require me to have to map the car again and i would like to try and avoid this if i can.

I say this because it would cost me more and take longer for me to get the car fixed, its my DD and i need the car on the road ASAP. Ported headers, uppipe and map is roughly £700. Isnt there a cheaper option ?

As the car has already been mapped for headers wouldnt it be cheaper and easier just to replace with a decent set of SS headers and not have to map the car again ?

Or if i fitted the standard manifold and got the car mapped would it still achieve around the 330 bhp mark i have now ? If so will i need a decent uppipe ?

I am happy with this power and not looking to go any further for now. I also i think these are the cheapest option to a fix i have ?

Thanks in advance and i look forward to hearing your views and answers to my questions i have asked in this post.
It might be a higher initial outlay, BUT it is still cheaper than two set of crappy stainless manifolds.

What you seem to be forgetting is that one set cracked due to inferior materials that are not up to a decent quality for turbo applications. So the second set will do the exact same thing? So you end up spending mutiple £400+ for a set of crap manifolds.

Harvey manifolds wont crack, and will last the life of the car, so do the maths
Old 16 May 2014, 04:35 PM
FMJ
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It might be a higher initial outlay, BUT it is still cheaper than two set of crappy stainless manifolds.

What you seem to be forgetting is that one set cracked due to inferior materials that are not up to a decent quality for turbo applications. So the second set will do the exact same thing? So you end up spending mutiple £400+ for a set of crap manifolds.

Harvey manifolds wont crack, and will last the life of the car, so do the maths

There have been a few posts recently about trying to find cheap answers to expensive problems. The reality is spend some money on something decent or buy cheap and buy repeatedly. That's it.
Old 16 May 2014, 04:39 PM
JGlanzaV
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by FMJ
There have been a few posts recently about trying to find cheap answers to expensive problems. The reality is spend some money on something decent or buy cheap and buy repeatedly. That's it.
Yep totally agree. Do it properly if you are going to do it.

Harvey uppipe and manifolds are the best cost effective option, if you want to go mental and get decent equipment for big power -

http://www.killerbmotorsport.com/index_files/Header.htm
Old 16 May 2014, 09:32 PM
Subaru-UK
Scooby Newbie

OK im going to ditch the SS headers idea and go back to the standard manifold for now, just so i can get the car going again and use it. In a couple of months i will get the pp headers and Harvey's uppipe and treat myself to a few more horses for all the hassle this has caused lol.

Big thanks to the guys that replied to my thread. Your advice has been helpful and is appreciated........