Notices

ignition lock

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2014, 06:47 PM
jamespedro28
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ignition lock

Hi I removed my old lock and replaced it with a new on lock land keys. All was well turned the key and the dash lit up pressed the blue fob ( thatcham alarm ) and the red light pwhenton turned the key the engine fired for 2 seconds an died..any ideas what's wrong.
Old 09 May 2014, 08:30 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have changed the ignition barrel and key then you will have to take the chip out your old key and put it in the new one and put your old transponder thing on the new barrel.

It's like a black ring round the barrel which picks up the signal from the chip in the key which then allows the car to start. I think it's programmed into the ecu so it won't start without it. Make sure it's in the same position as before and that the chip in the key is in the same way.
Old 10 May 2014, 09:32 AM
jamespedro28
Scooby Regular

Hi thanks for the reply. I have already tried swapping the black ring over and the chip out of the arigonal key with no success. But I don't think that the chip of the arigonal key is the problem as there is no battery in my arigonal key.when I naught the car some years ago I was told that because it was fitted with a thatchem alarm all I needed to do was to press the button on the separate blue fob /black button and turn the key.as their was no need to use the button's on the key.
Old 10 May 2014, 11:43 AM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

A battery has nothing to do with the chip. They must be in the exact position or the car will turn over for a couple of seconds then die. You must not have them in the original position. It is an additional immobiliser over and above the key fob alarm.
Old 10 May 2014, 12:23 PM
jamespedro28
Scooby Regular

Hi.sory but could you just run this past me again as the last post seems to contradic it self. As I said before I swapped the black ring over and it only fits one way as doos the chip out of the key.I think.thanks againe for your time.
Old 10 May 2014, 12:37 PM
Davec30
Scooby Regular

I'm only saying this because when I got a new key, without a chip, my car did the same. I took the chip out and put it in a key ring,this didn't work! I then got under the steering wheel and placed the chip in various different positions in the black ring and turned the key. It only worked in one specific place hence why I said it must be in the correct position. I'm now back on the original key.

Is the new key the same as the old one?

If you've done all that then I'm out.....!
Old 10 May 2014, 12:53 PM
jamespedro28
Scooby Regular

Hi yea I see what you mean. And yea the key is the same 2 button type. The lock set is brand new as is the keys x2 I only wanted to change the locks as the door locks don't match my ignition key.I'm coming to the conclusion I might leave well alone. Thanks for your time. Cheers.mate
Old 10 May 2014, 09:11 PM
PADDYHOEY
Scooby Regular

The green circuit board is not the chip. The chip is the small rectangular black thing. Swap this and all will be good !!! :-)
Old 11 May 2014, 06:57 AM
jamespedro28
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by PADDYHOEY
The green circuit board is not the chip. The chip is the small rectangular black thing. Swap this and all will be good !!! :-)
Hi thanks for the reply. The chip is in the key I take it.and do I still have to Chang the black ring that goos round the ignition switch. Thanks again ....Pedro.