Notices

Coolant Expansion Bottle Question

Search this Thread

Old 09 May 2014, 01:57 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant Expansion Bottle Question

I have recently fitted a FMIC and the little replacement expansion bottle that comes with it. Now the cap on the bottle keeps popping off! My mapper said its pretty common and ideally needs a bigger bottle.

Has anyone overcome this problem using the smaller bottle? A quick search suggests a few people have experienced the same problem but no real solutions put forward other than relocating and using the original bottle by extending the pipe work.

The bottle is about 2/3 full so im going to drain some coolant out at the weekend to see if that helps.

Now dont shoot me......but would putting a small hole in the lid to allow the pressure to release cause any problems? I know its a pressurised system so may roger the way it works, hence not having done it without asking you knowledgable buggers first

Im not 100% sure how the system works...at what point does it suck coolant back into the system from the expansion bottle? All the time? Rarely? Never?

I did a full coolant replacement at the same time so it may just be settling itself to a comfortable level anyway....

Appreciate any thoughts
Old 09 May 2014, 03:26 PM
maydew
Scooby Regular

Mount the standard bottle on the passenger side bulk head and run some pipe into it fill the bottle around half way between min/max
Old 09 May 2014, 05:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

My FMIC fits with the OE expansion bottle.
Old 09 May 2014, 07:11 PM
Steve T
Scooby Regular

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This happened to me a few times after I had my Japspeed front mount fitted. I got a 2nd hand genuine cap off Matty (free of charge, thanks Matty) and it hasn,t blown off in more than a year. The caps look identical aswell. Steve.
Old 09 May 2014, 08:18 PM
STOOBOY
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Steve T
This happened to me a few times after I had my Japspeed front mount fitted. I got a 2nd hand genuine cap off Matty (free of charge, thanks Matty) and it hasn,t blown off in more than a year. The caps look identical aswell. Steve.
When you say genuine cap? I just fitted the yellow rubber cap off my standard expansion bottle? What have you fitted? Perhaps this is my problem!

I'd like to avoid relocating the standard bottle if I can I quite like the little discrete bottle if I can get to work!