Notices

Decisions Decisions.........engine options.....ideas???

Search this Thread

Old 04 May 2014, 01:23 PM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Decisions Decisions.........engine options.....ideas???

Hi guys,

Please can you help..................

I have a 1998 v4 Sti Type R. Unfortunately, whilst out on the track, I suffered an engine failure, resulting in melted pistons, burnt and holed valves, missing spark plug tips, coolant loss and head gasket failure!

I have been speaking to various engine companies in the UK and basically I need a full engine rebuild/new engine.

I live in Dubai and share the car with my friend. It can only be used on the track because it is RHD, so whatever option I chose, it is only for use on the track.

The various engine companies I have spoken to have quoted around £3000 for an engine rebuild, then a further £700 for an ecu plus an extra cost of mapping the ecu out here in Dubai once the engine is fitted in the car.
So basically, Im looking at around £4000 to get a new engine and get the car back on the track.

The trouble is, my friend (who owns the car with me), doesnt want to spend that much and doesnt see the need, as the car is only for track day fun, and isnt in showroom condition anyway (poor bodywork and marked interior).

So, I was wondering what other options/ideas anyone else had for possible solutions??

I want to have a reliable track day car, but it doesnt need to be some 500bhp monster, as Im just after a bit of fun, but without the worry of engine failure every time, and without a bill for £4000 which my mate refuses to pay?

I am an engineer myself, so have removed the engine and split the heads already - so I dont mind doing some work, but I do not want to do a re-build myself.

Any help/ideas/suggestions would be most appreciated, because at the moment I have a car and a broken engine sat on my drive doing nothing, which is a total waste of money!

Thank for any help...................
Old 04 May 2014, 01:46 PM
rb5 stu
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If its just for the track could you not just fit a second hand engine? A newage sti engine would be stronger and cheaper than 4k.
Old 04 May 2014, 02:17 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Received 149 Likes on 109 Posts

Newage 2.0 litre sti engine with money to spareit's the most sensible way to do it unless you are looking big BHP a engine that is reliable and still can be modded to nice figures relatively easy.SJ.
Old 05 May 2014, 12:28 AM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

So does a newage sti engine fit straight into my v4 type r?
I thought the new sti were AVCS heads?
Will the engine mount to my gearbox ok?
Is the new sti engine fully forged, as it's 45 degrees out here at mo and it's not summer yet, so it needs to be reasonably strong?

Thanks
Old 05 May 2014, 07:22 AM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Yes they do have single or double AVCS heads depending on what year sti you get one from,you will need a wiring loom that are available now from Tim of JTINNOVATIONS and a aftermarket ecu to get the most from it but it can be done relatively easy.the sti pistons are stronger but not exactly forged the bugeye sti came with forged pistons but you have quite a lot of options and the 2.0 litre newage lump is most definitely strong as has been proven over the years,but if your priority is more track then road think serious about all options as a forged rebuild of your existing engine might turn out to be more viable for you depending on your usage.SJ.

Last edited by stonejedi; 05 May 2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05 May 2014, 12:40 PM
jonnyricer2
Scooby Regular

How much are the jtinnovations wiring loom is it plug and play??
Old 05 May 2014, 01:09 PM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

If you install a newage engine, does it fit straight in or do you need to modify the engine mounts etc?

Do any mods like exhaust, FMIC, induction kit etc have to be for a newage car?

Sorry I sound really stupid, but its not something Ive ever thought about doing
Old 05 May 2014, 01:09 PM
stonejedi
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by jonnyricer2
How much are the jtinnovations wiring loom is it plug and play??
Best to contact Tim from jt innovations mate,he will give you all options available for you,he's a very helpful guy.SJ.
Old 05 May 2014, 10:10 PM
Henrik
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by jumbomechanic
If you install a newage engine, does it fit straight in or do you need to modify the engine mounts etc?

Do any mods like exhaust, FMIC, induction kit etc have to be for a newage car?

Sorry I sound really stupid, but its not something Ive ever thought about doing
The block itself will fit straight in (without the heads), and it will mate up to your gearbox, however unless you're going to retrofit the whole new age engine, including inlet manifold etc etc, you'll need to find some v4 heads, as the bolt pattern is different (I think it changed from v4 to v5, so you might be able to use any v<=4 heads).

If it was my car, I'd get a new age 2.0 sti short block, find some new heads and bolt the ancillaries on.

Also, if you're doing track work, you should probably look at the oil system too. I'm assuming that you don't want to go for a dry sump system as you don't want to spend 4k on a rebuild (sensible, neither would I ), so perhaps look into an accusump as well as a new age 2.5litre sump + dipstick (these should be better from an oil control point of view compared to your old sump). It's not going to be as good as a dry sump, but much better than a stock v4 oil pan (assuming that is what you have now, of course).

You might also want to get a new modine (the oil / water cooler next to the oil filter), as if you've had any crap in the oil from the breakdown, it's likely got bits in it, and they're next to impossible to get out (often resulting in bearing failure shortly after rebuild).
Old 06 May 2014, 09:53 AM
wms-racing
Former Sponsor

If you can stretch to £2000 I can supply a fresh built V4 STI long engine (with heads fitted) Fully forged, with new acl race bearings, steel rods, forged pistons. Super strong and freshly built. Not something used that may have a limited life expectancy! Buy cheap buy twice,,,,,or more.
Old 06 May 2014, 08:56 PM
jumbomechanic
Scooby Regular

Wms-racing - YHPM! Thanks

So to confirm, if I bolted v4 heads to a v7 or v8 bottom end, everything would fit and no need to change anything eg inlet manifold, exhaust, wiring etc??

What about ecu?

Thanks