Notices

Which spring for forge recirc valve?

Search this Thread

Old 14 April 2014, 12:22 PM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which spring for forge recirc valve?

Bought a second hand forge recirc valve for my blob sti, noticed that there are different spring types depending on what psi you are running, it seems the one I've bought has come with a blue spring,

I'm running 330 bhp similar torque so does anyone know roughly how much this would equate to In pressure,

My car is having at tweek next week so any help would be appreciated in case it need to buy a different spring

Cheers
Old 14 April 2014, 07:43 PM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Anyone
Old 14 April 2014, 08:53 PM
Thermalp4
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the same valve, same spring and just been mapped too mate.

I don't think the spring is up to it.

From memory on the Volkswagen scene the yellow spring was stiffer than blue but not sure if its same for Subaru.

I took mine apart last week and the spring wasn't in good shape. Dry and gunky and the piston wasn't greased well.

Don't think previous owner had done much with it.
Old 14 April 2014, 11:00 PM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

just google forge recirc valve spring or something to that affect and you should find something.. even stock pictures on some site selling them, may say in the description which spring is which.

you could just install it and test it.. if the spring is too weak then you wont reach peak boost before it opens up, if its ok then it will stay shut until its supposed to open. if its far too strong then it probably wouldnt open quick enough and you might hear a bit of chatter or something before it opens up for a second, half a second or something on gearchange..
Old 15 April 2014, 08:17 AM
matt12
Scooby Regular

Forge sell the springs individually and all together, may just buy the lot so it can be fine tuned, was a bit reluctant to fit it much before it's remap
Old 15 April 2014, 11:07 AM
DmcL
Scooby Regular

BOv/DV shouldnt really affect much from a tuning perspective. its closed when all the action is happening and only opens when throttle is lifted. the only thing i could see issue wise is that either it doesnt stay closed at full throttle due to having a spring that is too weak for your setup or in contrast if the spring is too strong then you might hear a little chatter for a split second before it vents.

personally if i ever get to the stage of actually needing a different BOV/DV id be looking at the adjustable ones as they can be set more precisely than just being able to swap between 3 springs. i did not notice prior to fitting an intake to m 2.5 but i installed a cheap ebay VTA just to see if all the talk of bad running with a VTA was totally true or not, i personally had no problems at all with the cheap VTA though after the intake i did notice a split seconds worth of chatter before it vents. oddly to push on it by hand it feels easier to open than the OEM recirc so i have reinstalled the OEM recirc to see if i get the same with that or if there is any difference just before the valve vents, also partly because from what i have seen on youtube the OEM valve has a nice sound when venting once an intake has been installed and the VTA sounded nice at lower revs/boost but at or near full boost was fairly loud/high pitched and i have started to get bored of the "in yer face" sound as the novelty is wearing off lol