Notices

2002 BUG EYE fuel smell at rear end/drivers side

Search this Thread

Old 13 April 2014, 10:15 PM
T32ER
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry 2002 BUG EYE fuel smell at rear end/drivers side

Been looking and looking and all I seem to find for the bug eye is front end fuel leaks and all the rear end fuel smells relate to classics and not bugs so pls ppl I know fuel smell has been covered over and over and have read a load BUT not read one that's helped me much.

Only had the car a few weeks and only put 20 quid in a couple of times but I Filled it up with fuel today and when I got home and got out I noticed a fuel smell, rear end of the car near the rear wheel drivers side.
Oh had a little look and can't see any thing damp I have no patches under the car and the smell doesn't get worse at all and only really noticed when I stop and get out.
I did notice when at the petrol station I had no hiss when I opened the cap, went on a long trip after fuel and opens the cap once I got there and again no hiss.
Any common issues with bugs?
It's had a fuel pump change before I got the car, no smells under the bonnet
Also don't know if linked but feels some times a little under powered if I drop down a gear or 2 some times, that's just me linking the lack of pressure from the tank tho....
Old 14 April 2014, 09:34 AM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Given where you can smell the petrol, it is either a rotten filler tube to the tank or the evaporative emissions canister has failed or connected tubes failed/fallen off.
Old 14 April 2014, 02:00 PM
albob
Scooby Regular

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts

After my fuel pump had been taken out and replaced, I lost the 'hiss' as I removed the fuel cap (No smell of fuel tho'.....).

I removed the pump and used some silicone sealant around the rubber seal under the top cap - Got my 'hiss' back!!

My car is classic, but it is worth checking/renewing your seal

Last edited by albob; 14 April 2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 14 April 2014, 02:08 PM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there's no smell in the cabin? if there is, there was a recall for something under the rear seat iirc

for bugeye