Notices

Please sir, can I have more......power!

Search this Thread

Old 03 April 2014, 08:13 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please sir, can I have more......power!

Hi all,

Having picked a totally standard 2008 WRX hatchback recently I have added a K&N panel filter and had it remapped, delivering 247BHP and 305lb/ft at 3245rpm. The performance is fine and delivered a lot smoother since the remap, though I would like more.

I know there are not too many options out for the hatch, though please suggest what my next steps should be.

Thanks,

8ulldog
Old 03 April 2014, 09:11 PM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is plenty out there for the hatch WRX it depends what you want and how much you want to spend?

I also recently bought a low milage hatch WRX and will be aiming for 360/380 bhp. But because i know where i want to head with it, i am addressing other things first like the common piston problem, mine is booked in to get a set of forged pistons next week, then it will be run in fitted with a new exhaust and induction kit (induction kit only for a bit of noise) then a remap. After that i will concentrate on brakes and handling before spending money on increasing the power to 370bhp ish?

If you know what you want from the car i can point you in the right direction in terms upgrades, as i have been searching the internet alot myself.
Old 04 April 2014, 10:21 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Great to hear Clyne, thanks. My goal has to be to get my 0-60 time down as low as possible without effecting the daily driving efficiency - ie not removing seats etc.

Having spoken to the company that did the remap they reckon the best route is to get an STI turbo and Milltek exhaust system, which should get me to about 330BHP for about £3.5k. My thoughts on this were to buy an STI.

My next purchase if I stick with the WRX will definitely be a full sports cat exhaust system and I like the sound of the forged pistons, where are you sourcing them from?

Thanks,

8ulldog
Old 09 April 2014, 08:11 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Any ideas?

8ulldog
Old 10 April 2014, 10:02 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have fallen for the trap thats going to cost you a fortune yet you still wont have the car you want, and its not the wrx.
You get to the point where it becomes more expensive to modify the car you have into its bigger brother when you can just put the money into buying the STI, and people will say "he doesnt want the sti etc", happens all the time but you are trying to make the car into one and the wrx still suffers the same issues (if not more) because of this.

Sell the car, put that 3.5k into a forged STI, it will save you a packet in the long run, trust me, also with the modifications you are doing your insurance will go up anyway, plus you have better components on the STI (note stronger except the engine hence why you look for a nice forged motor) and have a better platform to work on
Old 10 April 2014, 06:58 PM
Ukautograss
Scooby Regular

3.5k for an exhaust and turbo :-0
Old 11 April 2014, 06:53 AM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

Thought so. Thanks for your honesty guys.

8ulldog

Trending Topics

Old 11 April 2014, 07:26 AM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Like the lads say if you have the cash get the STI, if any thing for the gearbox, and also your WRX is fitted with a totally different inlet manifold,which is made of plastic which from what i have been reading on the yanks forum it is a good manifold but its layout is different to the sti meaning if you do change the turbo you can't just fit the sti intercooler like you could on previous models,
the only options are a uprated top mount from the states or a front mount intercooler.

But if your like me and don't mind throwing a bit of cash at the WRX now and then for something original, don't listen to them and crack on with the mods. I am starting with my mods next week and will stick a build thread on here if your interested just follow it.
Old 11 April 2014, 07:29 AM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 8ulldog
Great to hear Clyne, thanks. My goal has to be to get my 0-60 time down as low as possible without effecting the daily driving efficiency - ie not removing seats etc.

Having spoken to the company that did the remap they reckon the best route is to get an STI turbo and Milltek exhaust system, which should get me to about 330BHP for about £3.5k. My thoughts on this were to buy an STI.

My next purchase if I stick with the WRX will definitely be a full sports cat exhaust system and I like the sound of the forged pistons, where are you sourcing them from?

Thanks,

8ulldog
Straight in with a well recommended garage for the pistons, i don't mind buying and fitting bolt ons but i once opened an impreza block with a friend and it was a lot different to my mk2 golf's 1.8
Old 11 April 2014, 10:17 AM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clyne, the thing is that this guy will end up throwing money down the drain, the wrx wasnt designed to be modded, the expendature will just cripple you.
So far the OP is looking at 3.5k to get around 330bhp and then a sports exhaust (thats another 1k on top), so 4.5k, no clutch yet but as its smaller than the STI's it will need doing (add 500 quid+) then depending how the gearbox has been treated (people tend to leave their hand on it when in gear, wears the syncro's quickly plus the added torque), brakes.... again you may need the wheels if you go for brembo's... all of this cost cash, just say 6k, thats 6k plus the wrx, that will get you a forged STI with all the right bits on (or near enough), and we have not gotten to the engine rebuild with the pistons yet.

You can only go so far with the wrx before the it becomes a money pit.
Old 11 April 2014, 10:41 AM
clyne 08
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by TonyBurns
Clyne, the thing is that this guy will end up throwing money down the drain, the wrx wasnt designed to be modded, the expendature will just cripple you.
So far the OP is looking at 3.5k to get around 330bhp and then a sports exhaust (thats another 1k on top), so 4.5k, no clutch yet but as its smaller than the STI's it will need doing (add 500 quid+) then depending how the gearbox has been treated (people tend to leave their hand on it when in gear, wears the syncro's quickly plus the added torque), brakes.... again you may need the wheels if you go for brembo's... all of this cost cash, just say 6k, thats 6k plus the wrx, that will get you a forged STI with all the right bits on (or near enough), and we have not gotten to the engine rebuild with the pistons yet.

You can only go so far with the wrx before the it becomes a money pit.
Hey, if you read the post i am not advising him to keep and mod the WRX, in fact i say go for the STI if you have the cash its by far the superior car!

What i am doing with my WRX is my decision be it write or wrong, i am not telling the guy come and follow me throwing money at a WRX! But in my case if i had an STI i would also be throwing money at it, its not about chasing figures for me its just building something unique to me, i think it would be a boring world if we all had STI's, besides it would give guys like yourself nothing to bitch about!
Old 11 April 2014, 10:44 AM
Tidgy
Scooby Regular

Received 150 Likes on 115 Posts

2.5 engine next mod,,,,,,,,, rebuild with decent rods/pistons etc
Old 11 April 2014, 07:45 PM
8ulldog
Scooby Regular

I appreciate the advice from both sides and I think I'll drive the WRX around a little and enjoy it before I make the call.

I'm also really looking forward to your build thread Clyne.

Thanks all,

8ulldog