Notices
Full Cars Breaking For Spares This forum contains details of cars being broken for spares by our members.

Forced to break my 350bhp v3 sti :(

Search this Thread

Old 01 September 2011, 02:58 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Forced to break my 350bhp v3 sti :(

Due to not getting a single viewing on my car I've been forced to break it. I really didn't want to as the car was so perfect, but it's mostly sitting in my garage in boxes now

Here's a link to the expired ebay advert for the car so you can see what it's got:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MESOX:IT

and here are the youtube videos i did for the auction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0K05ujgwJ8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qN0GFMlLJdE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMYlE7xPz48

I've taken loads of photos of the bits I've already removed, so can send them on request.

I live in Bournemouth & would prefer collection of the larger parts, but can post the small bits fine.

I'd prefer bank transfer or cash on collection, to save charges, but do have paypal if you prefer. Cheers, Nathan
Old 01 September 2011, 03:21 PM
stef_2010
Scooby Regular

Do you have a price and condition for the front brakes please ?
Old 01 September 2011, 03:30 PM
Geordie_Aaron
Scooby Regular

YOU'RE KIDDING ME!!!!!!!!!!

I was one of the guys messaging you...from Newcastle Upon Tyne?
The auction ended at £3997 IIRC i was called away for an emergency and didn't end up bidding so kept watching your advert in the hope it would have been relisted but never was :-(

I am TRUELY TRUELY gutted as i've gone and bought a v4 but yours had alot more history !!!!!!!!
Old 01 September 2011, 04:03 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

OH NOOOO! Don't tell me that now!!!! only just coming to terms with the car being in bits! You'll just have to buy all my bits to go on yours

RE the front brakes, I've not brought them back from my mates workshop yet, but hopefully will on the weekend and have a proper look at them, I do know they'll be wanting pads fairly soon, and the rotors also have a reasonable bit of wear, so will have to sell them fairly cheap I expect.
Old 01 September 2011, 04:08 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Ok, so the ebay links no longer working, I'll put a copy of the advert here instead:

First of all I absolutely love this car in fact most of my friends and family say I'm obsessed with it! I've had it three years and have spent about £10k sensibly modifying it to improve it from standard, ironing out the usual problems you may have on a standard sti import, but without taking away from the car at all. It is now much more reliable, quick and driveable than standard.
I can absolutely guarantee that if I take you out in the car you will want it!
I really dont want to sell it due to getting it to this standard after an awful lot of blood sweat and tears, not to mention money! However I'm self employed and use my van for work, which I seem to be doing all of the time nowadays! as a result it's difficult to justify paying the insurance etc for another year when I hardly get to drive it anymore.
I've just serviced it with all the best oils and genuine filters. Changing the engine gearbox and diff oils along with the filters every 3500 miles without fail.
I will put 12 months Mot on it for the winning bidder. The car is absolutely all up together and wants for nothing. You could buy it today and track it tomorrow
Modifications/Improvements
The STI is not to be confused with the standard Impreza turbo or WRX. As standard it had a lot of upgrades and developments including a forged engine. I have improved the car further without taking away from the original car in any way.
Engine
Fully stripped down and rebuilt using all genuine Subaru Gaskets. including all rocker gaskets.(many imprezas for sale will be weeping from these and the oil drips onto the exhaust headers and there have even been cases of fires!)
Version 3 STIs are known for having the best heads of all of the STIs
Cometic 1.6mm metal head gaskets
ARP head stud conversion
All new genuine belts, cambelt tensioners etc.
NGK spark plugs of a more suitable grade for the power the car's running.
Oil and filter just changed for Silkolene proR and genuine filter.
Intake
Pipercross panel filter.
Resonator box removed. (It's restrictive and is only there to quieten inlet noise.)
Silicone intake pipe from airbox to turbo. (Standard hard plastic pipe's restrictive)
Breather system replaced so that the breathers go into a catch tank rather than back into the inlet (see video 1).
Much larger STI version 8 top mount Intercooler modified to fit and bonnet scoop undertray modified to suit for max airflow.
Turbo
Larger IHI VF35 turbo with ported wastegate port to stop boost creep.(Can be a problem on these turbos, not on this one)
3 port boost solenoid for more accurate boost control.
Exhaust
Headers, crossover pipe and up-pipe ported to reduce turbo spool time (actually quicker spooling than the original smaller turbo!)
Haywood & Scott stainless open neck downpipe. (the standard STI downpipe is very restrictive on the gasses coming out of the wastegate)
Haywood & Scott Full stainless exhaust system with no catalytic converters. (Very expensive, not particularly loud, just a nice noise)
Fueling
Walbro 255l/hr in tank fuel pump. (the standard pump is barely up to even the standard power output)
Fuel filter changed regularly.
Parallel fuel rail conversion. (stops melted pistons! see video 1)
Aeromotive rising rate pressure regulator. (Expensive, but much more accurate & reliable than the cheaper f.s.e type)
Engine management
Apexi power FC ECU. This is a proper standalone ecu, not the piggyback type that just fudge the readings going into the standard ecu. It is mapped by Simon Roe of www.jollygreenmonster.co.uk who is regarded to be one of the best Subaru tuners, by myself and many other Subaru Enthusiasts.
Phormula KS-3 Engine knock meter. This uses a seperate knock meter to the one for the ecu, so you have 2 ways of knowing if there is any knock, one by the ecu flashing up a warning on the dash, and the other by this meter flashing and beeping. It also shows current and max knock throughout the journey, and was also set up on the rolling road by Simon when the car was mapped. I have never experienced knock since the car was mapped, not even on the track, this is a major killer of these engines.
The car is mapped for using Shell optimax fuel, and I only use this, if you were to use an inferior fuel you could well get knock, but at least the meter will tell you to back off and use the proper fuel next time!
Transmission
Sti gearbox and diff, both with fresh silkolene SYN 5 oil.
Exedy organic clutch.
Whiteline diff support mounting bushes.
Suspension
Sti shocks & springs
Sti alloy bottom arms
Sti lower braces
Perrin 22mm adjustable front anti-roll bar with sti solid droplinks.
Eibach 24mm rear anti-roll bar with Whiteline alloy droplinks.
Powerstation bumpsteer modification. (Makes the car alot more stable and controlable on bumpy bends)
All set up by Powerstation for fast road & track use. The tyres wear very evenly. It's stable at very high speeds & has excellent handling, with very little body roll (something imprezas usually suffer from) The steering wheel is perfectly straight etc.
Brakes
AP Racing 330mm Rotors and Alloy Bells
Huge AP Racing Alloy 4 pot calipers with Mintex 1155 Trackday compound pads. (£1500 odd new but the standard STi 4 pots are unsafe in my opinion, I wouldn't entertain an Impreza with standard brakes now.)
Goodridge braided hoses front & rear.
Recent rear disc/drums with new shoes & pads.
Motul 600 brake fluid new last month.
Wheels & Tyres
5zigen 17"x7" alloy wheels in satin black & laquer.
215/45/17 Toyo proxes r888 trackday tyres. (Over £600 new, but excellent for trackdays)
Security
Thafficmaster Trackstar tracker. The subscription is about £150 a year, but it brings the insurance down by more than that.
Thatcham category 2 immobiliser
2 keys with 2 immobiliser fob things.
Power
The car is making about 350 BHP at the moment, many people selling imprezas will claim similar, or even bigger power figures, but if you look at the bits they've got on them it's just not possible! Last month I did a trackday and have a video of me keeping up with a 470bhp impreza lap after lap...
In low gears I would describe the power as brutal, and don't like to give it too much boost, but as you go up through the gears it just pulls and pulls right through the rev range. If you put your foot down, even in top gear it's physically impossible to lift your back off the seat without pulling on the steering wheel!
However, you can potter about in the car all day if you keep the revs down, any you could let your Mum take it shopping if she didn't rev it too much!
Driving
The car is an absolute joy to drive. as mentioned above it's so effortless. Very fast, Very good handling, and Very good brakes. It's not too harsh by any means and also pretty quiet inside, and can absolutely be used as a daily driver aswell as an excellent trackday car I guarantee if I take you out in the car you'll want it!
About Me:
I'm not a boy racer, and don't hammer the car from cold. I always let the turbo cool before stopping the car. I do go on 2 or 3 trackdays a year, but never stay out for too long in one go to avoid getting everything too hot, and always change all the fluids afterwards.
I'm a fully qualified engineer and have been working on cars in all of my spare time since I was a young teenager. I've built many road and track cars previous to this one, and put a lot of thought, time and money into this car, it's not just thrown together.
Sale
I hardly get to drive the car nowadays, and I've been persuaded by people more sensible than myself that I should part with it. I won't be letting it go for peanuts though, so no silly offers. All sensible offers will be considered and I will be putting it on the forums too.
Old 01 September 2011, 05:15 PM
prodriverules
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright mate what do you want for the KS3 phormula knock link?
I'm only down in Leominster and see your in Hereford so could be an easy pickup
PM me a price if you wnat fella
Old 01 September 2011, 05:26 PM
rudi93
Scooby Regular

what hayward and scott system is it and how much? downpipe also.
i could collect as im in bournemouth and blandford every week day.

Last edited by rudi93; 01 September 2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01 September 2011, 05:40 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Hi, Sorry, I forgot to change my location to Bournemouth! my brother lives in hereford though, so I could get it up to him in the next week or so, or just post it to you.
They're £280ish new, so I reckon maybe £180.

I've hard wired the power suply though rather than using the cigarette socket, so it would just be a matter of wiring it to an ignition switched live and an earth.
Old 01 September 2011, 05:53 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

The exhaust is the H&S classic 2.5" downpipe which is actually an open neck 3" downpipe that tapers down to 2.5" at the end to suit a 2.5" system, The lambda sensors still in it if you want it, but I can take it out if you don't.

There's a classic 2.5" straight through centre pipe and a classic 2.5" back box.

It really is an excellent system, and quiet in the car, but pretty loud on the outside when it's on song. It passes all uk track noise limits though on my car.

There is absolutely no damage to the system, no dents whatsoever, but it could do with a clean / polish

It's about £600 new, soI reckon £350.

I can send you pics if you like, or here's the link to the website

http://www.haywardandscott.com/subar...a-classic.html
Old 01 September 2011, 07:18 PM
westallc
Scooby Regular

shame its in bits i would have brought this off you!!!!!!!
Old 01 September 2011, 07:20 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

It wasn't in bits and I've advertised it a fair bit!
Old 01 September 2011, 08:21 PM
sonic93
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

could u put prices on the bits your selling so its easyer. How much for roll bars and the the drop links? how much the brakes?
Old 01 September 2011, 09:20 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Hi mate, I intend toput a list of parts and prices when I get a chance, but as you can probably imagine there are ALOT of parts on a car if I'm to list the whole car in components.

For the front & rear arbs and rear links I want £250. I don't have uprated front links.

Front is perrin 22mm adjustable in good condition with bushes,
Rear is 24mm eibach with one set of holes, but with space to drill another set of holes if you want it stiffer, also in good condition with bushes.
Rear links are whiteline alloy in good condition. The bushes aren't slack like some second hand ones.

I have to check the condition of the brakes before I give a price as I've had alot of interest already, and want to be honest about the wear.

Cheers, Nathan
Old 01 September 2011, 10:48 PM
tarrano
Scooby Regular

YHPM
Old 01 September 2011, 11:31 PM
Tomwrx
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how much for the ap calipers and rotors and bells

also friend needing a price for the 3port boost solenoid
Old 02 September 2011, 01:27 AM
Scooby220
Scooby Regular

Can I get a price on the inlet manifold please ?

Cheers
Old 02 September 2011, 07:58 AM
Davey96wrx
Scooby Regular

Just a quick reality check for you, that's a cracking car Are you sure you want to break it and not keep it? A limited mileage policy will cost less than the amount of money you will lose breaking the car up. You obviously love the car, speaking from experience you will be gutted in a year or so and prob be looking for another...
Old 02 September 2011, 09:20 PM
Benji554
Scooby Regular

How much for the goodridge hoses and parallel fuel rail please?
Old 02 September 2011, 09:26 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

How much for the VF35?
Old 03 September 2011, 10:09 PM
chewee
Scooby Regular

bud have you got any photos of the car? as im in poole and after quite a few bits for my track car! cheers
Old 04 September 2011, 09:29 AM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Hi, sorry I haven't been on here for a couple of days, I've been off playing on the race car, I'll try to answer pms now also.

Brakes- I've had a lot of interest, and will take some pics & post a price in a couple of hours

3 port boost solenoid £30

Inlet manifold bare, but with parallel rail conversion £60

Goodridge brake hoses £30

Parrallel rails on their own (just modifies standard setup) £20

Vf35 now sold sorry,

I'll get some photos up in a couple of hours,

Cheers, Nathan
Old 04 September 2011, 10:22 AM
stiggy wiggy
Scooby Regular

Is it a Harvey up-pipe matey? If so how much and any pics?
Thanks
Old 04 September 2011, 12:18 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

No, just a stadard one mate, I did all the porting on the headers etc myself.
Old 04 September 2011, 12:23 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

@davey96wrx, I know! but I've not got space at home, and my workshop at my parents has my race car and my vtec turbo mini project in the way as it is, so it's a matter of selling the one that costs me the most! I really didn't want to break it, and had to get my mate to start stripping it for me, because I couldn't bring myself to do it!
Old 04 September 2011, 08:39 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Right, eventually getting round to posting some pics! Unfortunately I've found out I'll be working away from home this week, so wont be able to sort out anything out for collection until next weekend.

Old 04 September 2011, 08:48 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

5zigen 17" x 7 alloys with 215/45/17 toyo r888s

I painted the wheels myself, so they're not perfect by any means, there are a few little marks & chips, and all have a slight mark from the wheel balancer, There are no scuffs from kerbing whatsoever, but the paint is a bit crazed on 2 of the wheels brake heat from tracking the car the next day after painting them!

Tyres, 3 have between 3 and 4.5mm of tread, and one has about 4mmon the outside and inside, but is on the limit in the centre, I'd use it on the rear right, as that tends towear less than the others. The worst tyre pic is of this one. Also one tyre is a bit soft, but hasn't been pumped for about 3 months, so I think its just leaked a tiny bit on the bead over time.

Looking for about £400

Last edited by driveeminpushemout; 04 September 2011 at 09:01 PM.
Old 04 September 2011, 08:59 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Exhaust.

Hayward & scott Classic system, Downpipe is open neck going from 3" down to 2.5" at the end, and the rest of the system is 2.5" with a 3.5" tailpipe, nice and quiet in the car, but quite manly from outside when it's having a bit.

In excellent condition with no dents or scratches whatsoever, but tarnished as all exhausts seem to, even the very expensive custom made 316 grade one I have on my mini seems to be.

Would benifit from a clean & polish prior to fitting, includes lambda if required.

Thinking about £350.

Old 04 September 2011, 08:59 PM
winston69
Scooby Regular

How much for the still rear lights?
Old 04 September 2011, 10:01 PM
driveeminpushemout
Scooby Regular

Ap racing 330mm 4 pot brakes with mintex 1155 pads

There's been alot of interest in these, but I didn't want to suggest a price until you can all see the condition of them.

I've taken them straight off the car, so they need a good clean, but are in good working order.

The pads, as you can see only have about 2-3mm left on them, so will need changeing fairly soon. These are a common size / design and many compounds can be bought quite deeply.

The rotors look quite manky, as the car's been stood prior to stripping for a few weeks, but will no doubt clean up as soonas you press the brakes. These can be used as they are, but will probably need changeing sometime, as they only have about 2mm to the bottom of the grooves. I also noticed a couple of tiny cracks in face of the discs, however, they are still working fine, its just something to bear in mind for the future.

Obviously due to the wear on the rotors (and the pads) the brakes are going to be devalued a bit, but they actually work fine as they are, but will need further spending on them in the future.

I was thinking about £500, but am open to offers if there's no interest at this price. I also have a set of stainless goodridch hoses front & rear, I've left them attached for the time being incase the buyer wants these also, Looking for £30 for these.

Last edited by driveeminpushemout; 04 September 2011 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04 September 2011, 10:07 PM
Paddy_WRX
Scooby Regular

How much for the rear spoiler delivered to N.Ireland
Sti rears also please

Quick Reply: Forced to break my 350bhp v3 sti :(