Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Exhaust Issue

Search this Thread

Old 10 April 2013, 05:34 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Issue

When I had my prodrive bell mouth down pipe with sports cat fitted (from a PPP car) used a OE turbo to down pipe gasket form dealer and now seem to have slight blow, can't really hear it but getting fumes in the car, checked all other joints and are ok.
Today removed the IC and turbo heat shield and checked all the bolts and got a good half to one turn on each.
The issue is that possibly the gasket has failed, can this be sealed by use of a product, advised that could smear both faces of the gasket with heat proof silicone or take the gasket back and ask for replacement (which may be fun)
Know that is not advisable to use a sealant on this joint so close to the cat but if the dealer will not exchange have to buy another.

Last edited by Inviroman; 10 April 2013 at 05:38 PM.
Old 10 April 2013, 06:39 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd jus buy another gasket Ed. if you were decatted you may get away with sealant.
I'd replace the gasket and block/wet dry both mating faces flat.
If the faces are flat and the bolts are tight then it shouldn't leak or require any sealant. Carbon should seal it from the natural process of combustion.
Old 10 April 2013, 07:12 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by frayz
I'd jus buy another gasket Ed. if you were decatted you may get away with sealant.
I'd replace the gasket and block/wet dry both mating faces flat.
If the faces are flat and the bolts are tight then it shouldn't leak or require any sealant. Carbon should seal it from the natural process of combustion.
Cheers Frayz, was thinking oblong the same line when I remove it, also going to get a straight edge on both services to be sure nothing is distorted.
Import car parts here I come, not paying another £30 for the gasket, if the dealer does not replace it.