Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Springs

Search this Thread

Old 31 March 2013, 10:24 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Springs

Looking to lower the scoob (MY03 STi) a little but can't decide which springs to go for.

It's not a daily driver and I'm not intending on using it on track so it's a "fast" road setup I'm after.

I dont think coil overs are really what I'm after, mainly due to budget so I've been looking at changing the springs.

I've been doing some research and have found out the following:

Love the look the Tein S Tech springs give but I'm reading so much negative stuff about them (particularly on NASIOC) that it's really rather putting me off.

The Prodrive springs sound good but from what I've heard they pretty much sit at the same height as the standard STi springs so I'm not sure if they are what I'm after.

Eibach are apparently the same as the Prodrive springs as they are who makes them but not as good as the Prodrive for ride.

Whiteline Flatout. Look great and apparently ride quite nice but I can't find anywhere that sells them anymore and I've seen rumours that they no longer make them.

I need some help!

Anything else anyone recommends to look at?

At the moment I'm swaying towards the Prodrive springs purely because they are made by Prodrive and give a good ride but I would really like to drop it a bit too and I just don't think they will make much difference.
Old 31 March 2013, 11:24 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've had the Whitelines Steve and they were pretty good. Ride was compliant with a nice drop. Quality from Eibach will be great but again, unsure how much they drop the car.
I think H&R do a set of which will be good as they're German and TUV tested. KW will be the same but don't think they offer a set of lowering springs.
Tein S techs drop the car too much and put the damper out of its efficiency area and you will lose comfort and handling.
Id put a thread in the members gallery for images of newages on various springs and see what's out there.
Have you tried Alyn for some Whitelines?

Last edited by frayz; 31 March 2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 01 April 2013, 12:09 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

The Prodrive springs are a nice compromise. They only drop the car a bit but (in my opinion) improve the ride as I found the original springs horribly bouncy.
Put an ad in the wanted section, there may be someone who has swapped over to coilovers and has a set in the shed (as I did up until a couple of months ago!) Make sure the shorter front bump stops come with them or shorten the existing ones.

JohnD
Old 01 April 2013, 01:01 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the input guys.

I'll try Alyn for some whitelines but I can't even find them on the official whiteline website so the rumours that they no longer make them looks like it's right, he may have some old stock.

I'll try the wanted section for some prodrves too just in case.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:09 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

I've put a thread in members gallery for some shots of cars on different springs so I will see what that brings.
Old 01 April 2013, 01:18 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

If some KW variant 3s come up at the right money then they also would be worth a punt Steve. They're very compliant, not like the usual rubbish.
Then you can set the height you want and damping that won't upset the little one
Old 01 April 2013, 02:37 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got Eibach on mine (though it isn't an STi), and I liked the drop from the standard WRX ride height.
Old 01 April 2013, 07:25 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

I'm in the same position, will be keeping an eye on what's out there
Old 01 April 2013, 09:31 PM
Tony Harrington
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot
Looking to lower the scoob (MY03 STi) a little but can't decide which springs to go for.

It's not a daily driver and I'm not intending on using it on track so it's a "fast" road setup I'm after.

I dont think coil overs are really what I'm after, mainly due to budget so I've been looking at changing the springs.

I've been doing some research and have found out the following:

Love the look the Tein S Tech springs give but I'm reading so much negative stuff about them (particularly on NASIOC) that it's really rather putting me off.

The Prodrive springs sound good but from what I've heard they pretty much sit at the same height as the standard STi springs so I'm not sure if they are what I'm after.

Eibach are apparently the same as the Prodrive springs as they are who makes them but not as good as the Prodrive for ride.

Whiteline Flatout. Look great and apparently ride quite nice but I can't find anywhere that sells them anymore and I've seen rumours that they no longer make them.

I need some help!

Anything else anyone recommends to look at?

At the moment I'm swaying towards the Prodrive springs purely because they are made by Prodrive and give a good ride but I would really like to drop it a bit too and I just don't think they will make much difference.
Interested as to what were the concerns were re:Tein S Tech as I am running them but not had any issues?
Old 01 April 2013, 10:52 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tony Harrington
Interested as to what were the concerns were re:Tein S Tech as I am running them but not had any issues?
There's a whole thread about them on NASIOC.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/show....php?t=1267918

Read similar stuff on here too.
Old 02 April 2013, 02:35 PM
95turbowagon
Scooby Regular

IndigoGT have both whiteline control and flatout springs available on their website.

Another option:
http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...k-springs.html

These look a good set but unfortunately in the U.S, have had a quick chat over e-mail with the company and he reckons they will fit V8 struts but not V7 which i was hoping wasn't the case.

Chap said he could do a group buy on them if people were interested to get the cost of delivery down as it's fairly pricey.

They have a slightly higher spring rate than the JDM STI pinks which i've been looking for but by the looks of things can only be purchased from japan.

I have a set of STI struts with H&R springs but from a pic of the car i got them from they sit to low, looking for something which is around the spring rate of STI pinks but everything seems to soft.
Old 02 April 2013, 11:29 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Lol, I mentioned RCE on your other thread Steve.

http://www.racecompengineering.com/i...k-springs.html
Old 02 April 2013, 11:43 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Originally Posted by Nate
I've got Eibach on mine (though it isn't an STi), and I liked the drop from the standard WRX ride height.
Agree about the ride height. I have a set of the Blue Prodrive springs that came off the Stealth Wagon (03 WRX) when I fitted the Leda coilovers.

Prodrive Eibach Spring Kit WRX 2003-2004

Lower the ride height by approx 25mm

Applied Model
WRX Saloon 03MY-04MY
WRX 5 Door 03MY-04MY

Part No. SACC2566 £200.00 inc. VAT back in the day.

No good for yours Steve but PM if anyone else is interested at a vastly discounted price.

Last edited by FLAT ERIC; 02 April 2013 at 11:44 PM.