Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Any Vauxhall Corsa experts out there in ESOC land?

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2013, 10:40 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Any Vauxhall Corsa experts out there in ESOC land?

Hi guys I need some guidance please. I am helping a young guy doing a head gasket on a 1.2 16v Corsa. I was brought in part way through some amateur mechanics by him & his dad. I have got the head back on & the head bolts torqued & angle set & the cams are all timed & set etc.

Here’s where the problem starts. When they took the timing chain cover off they stuck all the bolts mixed up in a tray. So there are long ones, medium ones & short ones. I tried test fitting with the timing case laying on a flat surface putting long ones where the boss on the case was deepest & short where it was thinnest etc but the amount sticking out above the level of the boss varies quite a bit.

Any ideas as there are a hell of a lot to fit by trial & error with the timing cover in place. If I do this sort of thing I punch them through a cardboard template in the order & position they come off.

Any help gratefully received.
Old 10 January 2013, 09:06 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

What model Corsa is it mate?

My little bro has a Corsa D ('10 plate) 1.2 16v - Shouldn't make a difference though.

He's brought his car into work today so will pop out on my break and take some pics of the covers and screws
Old 10 January 2013, 10:04 AM
Scoobysmeet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

If you don't have any luck mark, let me know as my mates involved in the Vauxhall scene so he may be able to help out.
Old 10 January 2013, 11:00 AM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

Sorry mate, this is the best I could do - even less space in the engine bay than an Impreza!!

Don't think my bro would be too impressed if I stripped the engine down!
Old 10 January 2013, 11:03 AM
JDM_Stig
Scooby Regular

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

EPC and a tape measure is the way, EPC shows the bolts and their sizes.
Old 10 January 2013, 01:50 PM
gazzawrx
Scooby Regular

Just put the cover back on the engine and youll see where needs long bolts and where needs short bolts, dont forget to fit a new timing chain kit and cover gasket as the chain tensioners are common for failing. Theres also 3 big torx bolts that go through the cover down the bottom by the oil pump thats incorporated in the cover.

Iirc there was a couple of longer bolts fitted on the rear of the cover and a couple at the front. Youll see where they go anyway as the shorter bolts wont reach the threads so here youll need to use the longer ones.
Old 11 January 2013, 12:28 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Thanks for all the replies guys.

Originally Posted by Cornelius
What model Corsa is it mate?

My little bro has a Corsa D ('10 plate) 1.2 16v - Shouldn't make a difference though.

He's brought his car into work today so will pop out on my break and take some pics of the covers and screws
It's a Corsa C ('02 plate) 1.2 16v Petrol. Thanks for the pictures mate but I really need the side view with the timing cover off so you can see the length of each bolt sticking out.

I know the sizes from above :-
19 x M6
2 x M10
3 x M6 for the water pump

Originally Posted by Scoobysmeet
If you don't have any luck mark, let me know as my mates involved in the Vauxhall scene so he may be able to help out.
Cheers mate. Gonna try EPC (below) & if that fails then use a thinner bolt of the same length to stick down the hole to check if it bottoms out. Quicker than winding each full size one in & out the threads.

Originally Posted by JDM_Stig
EPC and a tape measure is the way, EPC shows the bolts and their sizes.
Cheers. I'll try & get hold of it. Wasn't sure how accurate each bolt is shown. The valve stem oil seals are shown as thick washers.

Originally Posted by gazzawrx
Just put the cover back on the engine and youll see where needs long bolts and where needs short bolts, dont forget to fit a new timing chain kit and cover gasket as the chain tensioners are common for failing. Theres also 3 big torx bolts that go through the cover down the bottom by the oil pump thats incorporated in the cover.

Iirc there was a couple of longer bolts fitted on the rear of the cover and a couple at the front. Youll see where they go anyway as the shorter bolts wont reach the threads so here youll need to use the longer ones.
This shows the order of tightening. 1 & 2 are 19 x M6s & 3 is 2 x M10s. There's a couple of long M10s at the rear for the alternator & 4 M6s underneath from the sump. That's a lot of bolts.

These three are for the water pump

Trending Topics

Old 12 January 2013, 12:42 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Smile

Timing cover all done.

Using the diagrams I had & one from the EPC that a nice parts man in Quest's emailed me I sussed their lengths & positions.

Then I made a template like this one by drawing round the old gasket & stuck the bolts in the right order until I ran out.

Tomorrow weather permitting :- Induction stuff, aux drive belt & engine mount.