Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Standard ECU??

Search this Thread

Old 05 August 2012, 05:22 AM
WRXDaron
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Standard ECU??

Hi guys `n` girls i wonder if someone has any pearls of wisdom to share?
I`m looking to have my bugeye wrx remapped, it has a full 3" de-cat system, fmic, induction kit etc it had a `performance remap` at jf autmotive tunbridge before i bought the car, but it has not been rolling road tuned or live road tuned, just hooked up to a laptop i`m thinking?
After leaving message after message for mocom, i gave up and contacted tdi in thurrock, who advised i change the ecu, as the standard unit is to rigid and restrictive when it comes to mapping? for this to be done i have been quoted in the region of £2000, now this is the advise i`m searching for, is it really necessary to replace the ecu, or can good results(bhp) be achieved using the standard unit? and of course where can help me? phew!
Sorry its a long one but i do know many of you have probably come across this when upgrading, so i`m hoping to receive some good advise
Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, daron.
Old 05 August 2012, 07:35 AM
matttp1
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by WRXDaron
Hi guys `n` girls i wonder if someone has any pearls of wisdom to share?
I`m looking to have my bugeye wrx remapped, it has a full 3" de-cat system, fmic, induction kit etc it had a `performance remap` at jf autmotive tunbridge before i bought the car, but it has not been rolling road tuned or live road tuned, just hooked up to a laptop i`m thinking?
After leaving message after message for mocom, i gave up and contacted tdi in thurrock, who advised i change the ecu, as the standard unit is to rigid and restrictive when it comes to mapping? for this to be done i have been quoted in the region of £2000, now this is the advise i`m searching for, is it really necessary to replace the ecu, or can good results(bhp) be achieved using the standard unit? and of course where can help me? phew!
Sorry its a long one but i do know many of you have probably come across this when upgrading, so i`m hoping to receive some good advise
Thanks for taking the time to read this guys, daron.
Im nearly certain yours is ecutek and if its already had a map should cost you less to have it tweaked. Just to make sure its running safely, then you could get an after market ecu.Im sure a more techy person will be along soon to see you right
Old 05 August 2012, 01:38 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

PM either Jolly Green Monster or Dynamix on here for remaps - both are highly praised!

I wasn't impressed with TDI, they wanted £500 to remap my Saab, keep the car for 3 days and send the ECU away to be mapped - Alarm bells were ringing and wasn't happy that the ECU wouldn't be mapped properly for my car!
Old 05 August 2012, 01:39 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

PM either Jolly Green Monster or Dynamix on here for remaps - both are highly praised!

I wasn't impressed with TDI, they wanted £500 to remap my Saab, keep the car for 3 days and send the ECU away to be mapped - Alarm bells were ringing and wasn't happy that the ECU wouldn't be mapped properly for my car!
Old 05 August 2012, 08:10 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They are stringing you up mate. Your OEM ECU will be fine for you power levels and more than capable of taking you to 400bhp plus.

TDI are talking absolute ****.
I don't know of an impreza tuner in Essex that is worth using for any kind of work.
Speak to Simon Roe aka (jolly green monster).
He is a professional mobile mapper and ex aerospace engineer. He is very thorough and the only person this end of the country I'd want to use to map my car.

My car is running 573bhp and it's all Simons mapping. He won't rip you off and you'll rest assured your car will be tuned properly by someone tht actually knows what they're doing.
Old 06 August 2012, 02:19 AM
WRXDaron
Scooby Regular

Guys thank you so much, you are all singing the praises of `jolly green monster` and that is good enough for me! I will get straight in touch with and book her in for a map

Thanks once again for your advise guys