Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Bit of advice re; personal loan

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2010, 12:32 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bit of advice re; personal loan

To buy my scoob i took out a personal loan of approx 50% of the purchase price. I currently have 17 months left to pay. I have enough money in my savings to pay it off early now, but when i confirmed the settlement figure with them, its only £100 less than what the actual balance is because i originally got the loan at a good rate.

The purpose of paying of loans early is to save the remaining interest but for £100 is it worth it? So my options are.....

- Carry on paying monthly and still have a healthy ISA balance
- Pay off loan and have the smugness of being debt free and save £200 per month on repayments, but put a 3k dent in my savings?

I really dont know which way to go. ESC advice pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!
Old 08 January 2010, 12:35 PM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cocker
To buy my scoob i took out a personal loan of approx 50% of the purchase price. I currently have 17 months left to pay. I have enough money in my savings to pay it off early now, but when i confirmed the settlement figure with them, its only £100 less than what the actual balance is because i originally got the loan at a good rate.

The purpose of paying of loans early is to save the remaining interest but for £100 is it worth it? So my options are.....

- Carry on paying monthly and still have a healthy ISA balance
- Pay off loan and have the smugness of being debt free and save £200 per month on repayments, but put a 3k dent in my savings?

I really dont know which way to go. ESC advice pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!
I would personally pay off the loan as the satisfaction of being debt free is great.

also gives you £200 a month towards mods
Old 08 January 2010, 01:16 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the interest you are paying on the loan will be greater than the interest you receive on your isa. For that reason pay off the loan and use the £200 to rebuild the isa.
Old 08 January 2010, 01:59 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends really, is the loan protected ? will they refund the 17months of protection ?
If you only save £100, personally I would let it run. Security is paramount and even at 1% your ISA is paying nearly £50 so why reduce your economic flexibility for the sake of a tank of fuel ?
Old 08 January 2010, 02:28 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by 53WRX
Depends really, is the loan protected ? will they refund the 17months of protection ?
If you only save £100, personally I would let it run. Security is paramount and even at 1% your ISA is paying nearly £50 so why reduce your economic flexibility for the sake of a tank of fuel ?
Nail on head Stu. Know my luck i would pay the loan of then next month my boiler would explode (or something that comes out of the blue which is going to cost me £££). After just shelling out nigh on 20k for my wedding in November, im thinking that i should try and build my saving back up anyway. If i was saving say £1,000 loan interest i would def do it but £100?

I would probably spunk the saved monthly repayment up the wall anyway instead of being sensible with it...

Loan protection - NEVER!
Old 08 January 2010, 02:30 PM
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by Cocker
Nail on head Stu. Know my luck i would pay the loan of then next month my boiler would explode (or something that comes out of the blue which is going to cost me £££). After just shelling out nigh on 20k for my wedding in November, im thinking that i should try and build my saving back up anyway. If i was saving say £1,000 loan interest i would def do it but £100?

I would probably spunk the saved monthly repayment up the wall anyway instead of being sensible with it...

Loan protection - NEVER!
Of course you would, it's the law

What interest do you get on the ISA ?
Old 08 January 2010, 03:06 PM
Cocker
Scooby Regular

Cash ISA is 2.47%. Loan APR is 6%. Totally understand what Milamber is saying but it is the reduction in savings vs the fact i'm only saving £100 in loan interest arguement that im undecided on.

The other point is that if i pay the loan off early, when the time comes to buy a new car, im going to have to find more a month to pay for it (i'm not barry big bollocks who always pays CASH for their cars). If i go to the end of the loan i would of had the scoob 4 years so would possibly change it then anyway so i would only have to find my existing payment + new finance instead of it all in one go (i.e if the new finance was say £300 a month i would only have to find an extra £100)

I'm spending far too much time on RS246.com anyway as it is!

Trending Topics

Old 08 January 2010, 03:52 PM
Scooby Senior

Taking into account 'Use of funds' and the £100 saving by my calculations paying it off would save about £50.