Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Manners???

Search this Thread

Old 29 June 2009, 10:01 AM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manners???

I went out on Saturday - took the kids to the Natural History Museum so i became one those REALLY annoying people on the trains and undergound with a buggy !!!
Having spent a fair few years travelling on trains to London on a daily basis i was quite surprised and the lack of assistance offered by other people for helping with the buggy up and down stairs! (not that i EXPECTED help - but it would've been nice to be offered )
I'd consider myself to be quite a thoughtful person in that i'll offer up my seat to someone who needs it more than me, i've always offered to help carry buggys/pushchairs (even kids) up and down steps and of the few people that DID offer to help - they were all WOMEN!!!

Is the age of "chivalry" really dead
Old 29 June 2009, 11:29 AM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by Ms Gooner 1
I went out on Saturday - took the kids to the Natural History Museum so i became one those REALLY annoying people on the trains and undergound with a buggy !!!
Having spent a fair few years travelling on trains to London on a daily basis i was quite surprised and the lack of assistance offered by other people for helping with the buggy up and down stairs! (not that i EXPECTED help - but it would've been nice to be offered )
I'd consider myself to be quite a thoughtful person in that i'll offer up my seat to someone who needs it more than me, i've always offered to help carry buggys/pushchairs (even kids) up and down steps and of the few people that DID offer to help - they were all WOMEN!!!

It really annoys, no disgusts me, to see people stuggling with buggies, children etc on trains / buses, and no one offering to help! I will always help if I see someone struggling - in fact I picked up some shopping in Tescos this morning that an old boy dropped - didn't take me 2 seconds, but it helped him out.

The other thing that REALLY gets my goat is when out shopping my daughter (11) will always hold the door open for people, and very rarely do people say thank you. Especially the older ones!
I sometimes annoy her by saying in a loud voice 'it's a pleasure' when they've gone through & not even smiled, let alone said thanks!

Manners cost nothing, and it is far nicer to be pleasant, smile or offer help to someone than be grumpy & miserable, isn't it?
Old 29 June 2009, 11:58 AM
stuart n
Scooby Regular

I always offer a hand to anyone who looks like they need one but that's the way I was bought up. I do think manners are dying in this country though.
Old 29 June 2009, 12:50 PM
Arkwright
Scooby Regular

Location: Happy that I'm back in a Scooby - but maybe I should have told the wife...!

Manners! Respect for your elders your having a laugh that`s plane old fashioned!

Disgusting is`nt it!
Old 29 June 2009, 01:25 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

LOL - My dad used to wrok on London Underground (his main station was Liverpool Street) - he had a pretty good job and used to take me to work with his quite often, so i was often on trains etc - but even then if someone older/elderly/pregnant or with child got on and there were no seats - my dad would offer his seat up - so i just used to do the same!
Remember once when i worked in Oxford Street, got on the train at 5.30 - which was totally rammed out - there was some woman who was HUGELY pregnant standing in front of all these other people (who were sitting) and she was struggling - she looked like she was gonna cry..... and it made me so angry that everyone either just shut their eyes or buried there head into a paper - eventually i said VERY loudly how appalling it was and a woman got up and offered her seat to the pregnant lady!
Old 29 June 2009, 01:30 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

LOL - My dad used to wrok on London Underground (his main station was Liverpool Street) - he had a pretty good job and used to take me to work with his quite often, so i was often on trains etc - but even then if someone older/elderly/pregnant or with child got on and there were no seats - my dad would offer his seat up - so i just used to do the same!
Remember once when i worked in Oxford Street, got on the train at 5.30 - which was totally rammed out - there was some woman who was HUGELY pregnant standing in front of all these other people (who were sitting) and she was struggling - she looked like she was gonna cry..... and it made me so angry that everyone either just shut their eyes or buried there head into a paper - eventually i said VERY loudly how appalling it was and a woman got up and offered her seat to the pregnant lady!
Heard on the radio the other day a chap had stood up to let a heavily pregnant teenager have his seat on a bus - her spotty boyfriend pushed past her and sat down!
Old 29 June 2009, 01:52 PM
scooby seb
Scooby Regular

i think manners is a thing of the past now??? whats really getting me going at the mo is the coke adds on the radio, where they place their order for what sandwhich they want and add lots of things and then say "OH AND A COKE" but not once is there a please or thank you in the order???? grrrrrrrr, it's not hard to say?????

or should we just change it to AIET or YA GET ME??? they might say it then???

Trending Topics

Old 29 June 2009, 02:07 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have offered countless times to help with buggies at train stations and normally get a cold sharp "I can manage" so more often than not I don't bother wasting my time offering now.
Old 29 June 2009, 02:12 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

LOL Matt - I think thats bad. I don't understand why people need to be rude - if someone offered to help me, if i didn't need their help i'd still say "thanks for offering".

It is bad that people have lost that "niceness" about them - but its sad too. I really hope my kids don't grow up to be rude and that they remember that they were "brought up" - not "dragged up"
Old 29 June 2009, 02:32 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sound like my mum.

I think a lot of "rudeness" is down to the many different coultures we have in the country now. It may not be rude in one country but we see it as rude here. This has then over time watered down and filtered into our society.

I agree with you though. We make sure Samuel minds his manners. If he doesn't say please or thankyou he doesn't get. He's pretty much there now. Has to be reminded sometimes. Seems to do ok when we're out and about though.
Old 29 June 2009, 03:50 PM
Ms Gooner 1
Scooby Regular

LOL Matt - i'm obviously getting "old" if people my generation think i sound like THEIR mum

It was purely an observation - one which annoyed me a little - I even offered to push a mans car the other day cause he'd broken down - think maybe in future i wont bother LMAO (albeit he did decline - think he was too embarassed )
Old 29 June 2009, 04:55 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

I think alot of it is just because parents cannot be bothered - it saddens me to hear the way some people speak to their kids - I was 'lucky' enough to be in Stevenage main post office on what was clearly giro day.

I am not generalising as everyone & their circumstances are different - but there was one young girl & guy, late teens, with a pushchair each, and the way they spoke to the toddlers horrified me - don't get me wrong, I'm not perfect at all, but asking a two or three year old if he's finished with his f***ing drink.... god knows how those kids will turn out.

I sometimes even find myself correcting / asking for 'another word' when my daughter has friends round!

and breathe..............this heat is clearly getting to me!

By the way, the best 'feel good' factor I have found by far, is to flash people out, or let people cross the road, mostly they say thank you, smile & are grateful - it's the drivers behind that get stroppy!!
Old 29 June 2009, 05:45 PM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Survival of the fittest I say