Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

BBC Essex drivetime

Search this Thread

Old 12 May 2009, 03:13 PM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBC Essex drivetime

Hi everyone, I recorded a piece for BBC Essex last week and it went live on their website last night. See below link

BBC - Essex - People - Life without a memory

It was also featured on BBC Essex radio this morning at 9:30 and is going out again at 4:50pm if anyone wishes to listen.

Cheers, Andy.
Old 12 May 2009, 09:42 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

That's a well put together piece Andy. It explains in layman's terms just what you have to deal with day to day. Some quite surprising things there as well that we just take for granted.

Is there any chance this condition will switch off just as suddenly as it switched on? The brain is truly a complex part of us.
Old 12 May 2009, 10:23 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

Andy, a very moving experience/story, which Tiny told me about.
words alone cannot truly explain the situation, i'm sure, but you and the people close to you can understand it a lot more.

its very humbling to hear this experience/situation/rendition and i for one am thankful for you posting this as it really brings it home how lucky lots of us are, and how much we take for granted.

you may not need anything from anyone in the club, but i speak for everyone i'm sure that if you ever need anything, you only have to ask.

thanks for sharing with us.

Dazza
Old 13 May 2009, 09:45 AM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the replies guys.

Flat Eric, as you say because the brain is a very complex thing no-one really knows what/when something will happen. When I was first really poorly the consultant said i'd be better within a few weeks and here i am just over two years later still struggling along.

The problem I have is that because I have adjusted so well and cope reasonably well on a day to day basis i've been left to get on with life which is a bit frustrating and no-one medically is involved now or taking any interest in helping me get better/normal. Hey hum.

At least i've got my scoobie to keep me smiling

I was in two minds as to wether to post the press thing up as having never met anyone I wondered what the responses would be like, with any "mental health" condition there nearly always seems to be a bit of stigma attached, but I have to say the contact i've had with people within ESC has been utterly amazing andincredibly kind. Which is really nice, thankyou all.

I can't wait to finally get to meet you all.

feel free to forward the link onto friends and families, all promotion is much appreciated

Thanks again guys.

Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 10:57 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Smile

Andy what you say is so true. The more you cope the more the system seems to abandon you & leaves you to cope. It's always the ones that knuckle down & get on with it that get overlooked even though at times a bit of support wouldn't go amiss.

On a lighter note most of us are pretty laid back on here so there isn't much room for stigma & I like to think we are tolerant of most things. Except maybe Evo drivers.

Look forward to seeing you at a meet sometime soon.
Old 13 May 2009, 11:09 AM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

It is quite fulfilling to go out and prove the system wrong sometimes though. I had to fight really hard to be allowed to drive again, after nearly 8 years of advance/pursuit driving I was confident in my knowledge of knowing how to drive but my consultant was worried "i'd forget" how to drive. After some convincing and a letter from my doctor and DVLA I went out and showed him I could do it.

Two weeks after being allowed to drive I took a Porsche around Brands hatch with work and sent him the pictures

The idea of doing the two marathons is to show people that even though I suffer from a mental health condition I can lead a reasonably normal life.

I've almost resigned my self to the fact that I may never be 100% again, so it's about getting out there and doing as much as I can when I can.

Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 11:12 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

mark that is all SOOOO true but i have to work with an EVO driver everyday lol !!!

Trending Topics

Old 13 May 2009, 11:12 AM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Well done mate a truly remarkable feet
Old 13 May 2009, 11:16 AM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

e6tony, i'll have a word with my art therapist this afternoon when I see her as she may be able to give you some advice on "how to work with an EVO driver on a daily basis"

Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 11:20 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

PMSL !!! thanx mate i could do wiv all the help i can get lol !!!
Old 13 May 2009, 11:26 AM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

You're more than welcome. There must be a handbook or self-help tape out there somewhere

Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 11:38 AM
e6tony
Scooby Regular

andy get yourself to some meets and meet everyone,be nice to see you !!
Old 13 May 2009, 11:43 AM
pezzza
Scooby Regular

A very moving article Andy, have you got a sponsor page for donations?

I would give money to any cause like this, as my cousin has a brain disorder too and has to spend the rest of her life in a wheelchair.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:01 PM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi Pezza, I have a justgiving site which is Justgiving - Andy Wray's Fundraising Page or if you go to my website The Forgotten One there are links to follow.

Life for your cousin must be very tough indeed and especially for those close to her that have to suport her. I'm thankful that only my memory has gone and that i'm able to carry on living life to a reasonably normal standard, i'd be devstated if I couldn't run or drive as these are the two things that I do to get me away from the frustrations my condition brings.

Thanks for the support.
Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 12:38 PM
V4JDMSTi
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Blimey! Certainly hats off to you for getting through this. I can't even start to imagine what it must be like. It's one thing to see it written down but another to live it. Again hats off to you fella and hope that you keep moving forward.
Old 13 May 2009, 12:52 PM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Thankyou.

Andy
Old 13 May 2009, 03:51 PM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

It goes to prove the old saying they can't take away my memories isn't true,hat's off to you for having the bollox to speak out about the problem's you face.
I admire anyone who truimph's against all odd's, mental health is still a very grey area with a lot of people, I myself have suffered with panic attack's and depression and it doesn't only affect you it's your family too.
I now work with mental health people and it's challenging but rewarding too I suppose it's like dementia but a lot worse,keep doing what your doing and one day it may all come good
Old 13 May 2009, 04:26 PM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Hi Mrs b4, thanks for your kind comments, much appreciated.
Where do you work? It must be very rewarding work indeed.

I have the visual memories of diaries and photographs, so they havn't stolen all of them. Mind you I do need to be told were the pictures were taken from

I'm off to get the monkey from nursery now, i'm going for a quick blast in the rain to make the most of the wet/greasy roads for a bit of sideways fun
Old 13 May 2009, 10:35 PM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Mucho respect to you Andy, I'm sure that everyone would wish for your memories to keep extending to 3 days, a week, a month etc.
Old 14 May 2009, 11:43 AM
WigboroughWRX
Scooby Regular

Thanks Andy, any progression would be fantastic.

This morning I was sent this link. it looks like the BBC has taken the best bits from various regions and i've ended up on the front of the BBC's main website, woooohooooo.

BBC - England - Homepage

Also this morning the presenter on BBC Essex radio mentioned me again but got his facts very very wrong. He said I only had a 2 hour memory and that by the time I finished the London marathon I would have forgotten why I started He also said I had to carry photos whilst i was running so I knew where I was going I guess following the 35,000 other runners would have been a good start
Nevermind, I guess all publicity is good publicity.
Hopefully someone nationally will pick up on my story and a bit of TV coverage will come my way fingers crossed.

Thanks again for all the kind comments.
Andy