Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Senna - 15 years on

Search this Thread

Old 01 May 2009, 06:48 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Senna - 15 years on

Can't believe it is 15 years ago, images still so vivid.

just watched this documentary again, in tears again.

BBC SPORT | Motorsport | Formula 1 | Senna remembered

Milamber and I went to Imola for the 10 year commemorative event.
Old 01 May 2009, 06:51 PM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

Legend in the true meaning of the word
Old 01 May 2009, 08:02 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

49 min well spent mate. Seen it before, but still leaves such an amazing legacy.

Schumacher will always be the better driver in my eyes, but its not lost on me just how special Senna was.

One of life true greats, he will never be forgotten
Old 01 May 2009, 08:20 PM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

Cant stand that smug git,cant forgive wot he did to Damon Hill scum bag!!!
Old 01 May 2009, 08:24 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Lol, smug because he is one of the greatest F1 talents the world has ever seen? Arrogance comes with being the greatest in most cases. He was amazing, and he knew it.
Hill didnt have the drive to win like the likes of Senna and Schumy and it was clear to see IMO.
Old 01 May 2009, 08:28 PM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

I do agree with you Frayz,just a patriotic F1 fan
Old 01 May 2009, 08:40 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by frayz
Lol, smug because he is one of the greatest F1 talents the world has ever seen? Arrogance comes with being the greatest in most cases. He was amazing, and he knew it.
Hill didnt have the drive to win like the likes of Senna and Schumy and it was clear to see IMO.

Frayz,

your view is probably coloured by the fact Senna's era was when you were very young, whereas Schumi's was more current for you. Also it is always fruitless to compare sportman from different era's, the game always moves on.
Schummi's record is without equal.
But even though I virtually always wanted someone else to win, I realised then, and still now that Senna was something beyond special.
Statistics just will not explain it all.
Look at the competition during that era, several multiple champions, legends of the sport, and Senna stood out from them.
Schummi - who did he beat, coupled with the fact that when really under the cosh he cracked, or cheated. (once he won the championship (Hill), once he failed (Villeneuve)). His record is unarguable, but he will never be regarded in the same light as Senna.

Trending Topics

Old 01 May 2009, 08:45 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Frayz,

your view is probably coloured by the fact Senna's era was when you were very young, whereas Schumi's was more current for you. Also it is always fruitless to compare sportman from different era's, the game always moves on.
Schummi's record is without equal.
But even though I virtually always wanted someone else to win, I realised then, and still now that Senna was something beyond special.
Statistics just will not explain it all.
Look at the competition during that era, several multiple champions, legends of the sport, and Senna stood out from them.
Schummi - who did he beat, coupled with the fact that when really under the cosh he cracked, or cheated. (once he won the championship (Hill), once he failed (Villeneuve)). His record is unarguable, but he will never be regarded in the same light as Senna.
Cant argue with that fella. I wish i was old enough to remember Senna in the same way i do Schumy.

Would love to pluck them both out of time and pitch them against one another, on various tracks in identical cars.

Gilles Villeneuve would have whipped em both
Old 01 May 2009, 09:06 PM
GeorgeM
Scooby Regular

would have liked to see Jim Clark whip shoe maker

GeorgeM
Old 01 May 2009, 10:24 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Indeed

Fangio, (Moss?), Clark, Stewart, (Villeneuve?), Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell (my list so he's on it!), Scuhmacher, Hamilton (and yes I do think he warrants being included or certainly will over time)

The best? - well in truth a silly question, all great, all champions, in equal machinery - impossible to say, but I know whom i'd put my mortgage on
Old 01 May 2009, 10:44 PM
Cornelius
Scooby Regular

15 years already!!

At the time I was in digs in Grays when going to college, my best mates girlfriend at the time was a huge Senna fan!!

Even though he wasn't any where near my favourite driver, it's a tragic loss
Old 01 May 2009, 11:26 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Milamber and I went to Imola for the 10 year commemorative event.

Indeed, at a motorracing circuit with tens of thousands of fans and yet this spot was eerily quite...

Old 02 May 2009, 12:50 AM
TomR555
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
Indeed, at a motorracing circuit with tens of thousands of fans and yet this spot was eerily quite...

Old 02 May 2009, 01:02 PM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Cool

Remember watching this live on TV with Ellen asleep on my shoulder. This was one of those "Where were you?" moments. Great loss of talent

Originally Posted by Georgem
would have liked to see Jim Clark whip shoe maker

GeorgeM
Sorry Im way too young to remember Jim Clark, George but besides being a legendary driver the progress he made for F1 and Motor Racing in general is monumental.

Indeed

Fangio, (Moss?), Clark, Stewart, (Villeneuve?), Lauda, Piquet, Prost, Senna, Mansell (my list so he's on it!), Scuhmacher, Hamilton (and yes I do think he warrants being included or certainly will over time)

The best? - well in truth a silly question, all great, all champions, in equal machinery - impossible to say, but I know whom i'd put my mortgage on
Now that's a monster list of talent Neil and cheating or not Michael Carsmacker wouldnt stand a chance
Old 02 May 2009, 01:23 PM
Nurse Gladys
Scooby Regular

Location: Daily drive is a Scoob again - just what it should be!

Originally Posted by TomR555
Cant stand that smug git,cant forgive wot he did to Damon Hill scum bag!!!
If I had the money & respect Scuhmacher had I might be smug & arrogant too! As for Hill, he only got where he was for one reason - his father! He is a tallentless waste of space.

Though my dad has now marshalled for three generations of the Hill family!

Indeed

I agree wholeheartedly with those, the only one I would add it Button, not because of his present performance, but watched him as a 'kid' an his talent and handling of a car is extraordinary!

Senna, a great man - remember watching the race with Ark like it was yesterday.
Old 03 May 2009, 12:40 AM
Supercue
Scooby Regular

Must admit I really did think Button would be a superstar driver after watching him in other Formulas maybe this year will be his year after all
Old 03 May 2009, 07:18 AM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Scooby Blue WRX
If I had the money & respect Scuhmacher had I might be smug & arrogant too! As for Hill, he only got where he was for one reason - his father! He is a tallentless waste of space.

Though my dad has now marshalled for three generations of the Hill family!

I agree wholeheartedly with those, the only one I would add it Button, not because of his present performance, but watched him as a 'kid' an his talent and handling of a car is extraordinary!

Senna, a great man - remember watching the race with Ark like it was yesterday.
1. Hill may not be in the elite class, but to call him a 'talentless waste of space' is frankly ridiculous. He won over 20 races, over 20 poles, a F1 world championship. I'm sure his name helped in the earlier years, but only there because of his father, again ridiculous.

2. Button was indeed very good as a kid, I was lucky enough to be racing Karts at the same time as him, and indeed Lewis Hamilton. Jenson had been very successful in the cadet class and was then doing well in the Junior class. (1992/93/94)
I truly think he could have been up in that group, but unfortunately has (untill now?) never been in the right car at the right time. Hopefully this will continue to be a great year for him.