Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Muppet in R34 saying big thankyou!

Search this Thread

Old 03 August 2008, 08:53 AM
bhw
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Muppet in R34 saying big thankyou!

This is Chris, with the tail happy R34 that ended up - rather embarresingly - in the McDonalds hedge on the on-slip to the A127 from Tesco's!

I would like to say a big thankyou to everyone that stopped and helped push me out, which I believe was most of the cruise!
I would also like to apologise for ruining the cruise through the underpass as we were all broken up.

Not entirely sure what happened there. As I came around the corner as usual but the back end stepped out way beyond normal just as the sun blinded me, couldn't see anything as the car went very sideways and the next thing I saw was my car making an improvised drive-in through the McDonalds hedge!

Luckily I wasn't carrying much speed so the hedge stopped us. Could so easily have ended up in the drive-in and caused chaos

Having hopped out and assessed the situation I was sure all four wheels were going to be trashed (at £2K each!) and the front completely stoved in by a metal pole I demolished, but amazingly, when you guys helped me get out everything on the front of the car popped back into shape!
End result, car got off very lightly, mainly light scuffs to the lacquer layer. Going to have a better look later with the T-Cut out!

Anyways, moral of the story... put 500BHP down much later in a corner!

I have been a very lucky bar-steward I feel. Thanks again to everyone for helping.
Old 03 August 2008, 10:37 AM
xdave
Scooby Regular

hi , chris , glad ya car is ok mate , it could of happened to anybody , lucky nobody was in the ka the otherside because i think they would of s*it there selfs seeing an r34 coming at them through the bushes and about to land on them lol . dave ...
Old 03 August 2008, 10:54 AM
ScoobyMaz
Scooby Regular

Glad to hear that the damage wasn't that bad even in daylight. As we said last night, could have been much worse. Glad you are ok.
Maybe you should have kept the P1 just to go round corners
See you at the next cruise!
Old 03 August 2008, 07:17 PM
lollyMccray
Scooby Regular

Im glad your all ok and the car isnt to bad, its nice to see everyone pull together and help
Old 04 August 2008, 09:05 PM
wongy
Scooby Regular

glad all is ok mate, had a good chat with you there see you around SWF hopefully not coming sideways at me
Old 05 August 2008, 09:52 AM
bhw
Scooby Newbie

Having checked the car as closely as I can, amazingly I didn't break anything.
Can't get underneath yet, but looking from the angles I can get at it, all seems ok. Most of the underside is covered by undertrays.

Amazingly, the only damage appears to be:
1. more fracture marks in the front bumper to add to the ones caused by going slowly over speedbumps!
2. a very small nick in the lower front bumper paintwork where I nailed a metal post
3. Very small bend in the driver side bumper at the wheel arch end (plastic bumper flexed and hasn't returned to shape). Hopefully a hairdryer and some gentle teasing will pull this out.
4. Some flexing of the lower front splitter where it mounts the lower part of the front bumper - I broke this splitter on the first cruise I came to on the Tesco exit cobbles

There were lots of scratches to the laquer layer on the front and passenger side caused by shrubbery, but these have mostly T-Cut out.
There are a couple that haven't fully come out, but a few more goes should remove them.

Amazingly, there are no marks on any wheels which at first I thought odd, but upon looking at the design of the car, the lower front splitter is also the undertray covering the gearbox, all the way back past the front axle.
I am guessing that the car rode up the curb on the undertray, thus the wheels did not hit the curb full on, but only hit to the depth of the tyre which is less than 2 inches. The suspension must have taken the impact, bouncing the car up and over, thus the rear wheels were also saved the full impact.

Very very lucky!
Power is going down much later when I do that again next month, just to be on the safe side!
Old 05 August 2008, 09:59 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

Glad everything looks ok, went past on the way home, you could set up a decent business in garden clearance the way you flattened that hedge

Trending Topics

Old 05 August 2008, 09:14 PM
Turbo_T
Scooby Regular

got a pic of the damage ? sounds like u got away lucky lol