Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Attention photographers, can i pick your brains

Search this Thread

Old 06 November 2007, 11:23 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Attention photographers, can i pick your brains

Bare with me guys, im an engine builder and am lost when it comes to this sort of thing.

1/2 of me wants an SLR, the other wants a compact.

I like the idea of being able to possibly take better pics with the SLR, however i dont know if i will actually get the use out of it due to their cumbersome nature.

The other 1/2 is looking at a small compact that i can get nice pics with and slips into a pocket for a day trip or night out. Something like that new black Panasonic DMC-FX33.

Please help me with the pros/cons of each...

I dont have a massive budget either, say £450 tops really. I cant justify any more on a camera if im not a professional photographer ya know.

I just want nice pictures.. thats it lol.

Old 06 November 2007, 11:35 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frayz I felt the same way about a D-SLR before I brought one. I thought they would be too cumbersome and more importantly too difficult to use.

Without a shadow of a doubt they are larger than a compact and can be quite heavy particularly with the longer lenses.

The photo's will nearly always be better with a D-SLR and you have MUCH more creative control. Take Dazza as an example he is a relative newbie to the D-SLR world and some of his photo's are fantastic.

You learn to live with the weight and carrying around a camera bag all the time but the reward is much better.

On the other hand you can have a midway point. Bri4n's camera takes some excellent pictures too but has a fixed lens (I believe)

If it was my choice I'd go for a D-SLR (Canon or Nikon) but beware it is an expensive and slippery slope....

Looking forward to having you along on a photo-session soon
Old 06 November 2007, 11:36 AM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

There is soooo much more to add to this argument but everyone else is wrong
Old 06 November 2007, 11:41 AM
Diesel_DC
Scooby Regular

Location: Back in Diesel wonderland - 3.0 TDi Quattro A4, with more toys than Ann Summers...lol

you need to ask Frayzzzzz
Old 06 November 2007, 11:57 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers Chris,
However,

I have so many expensive hobbies, i really dont think i need another. I cant use photoshop and im not an experienced photographer, hense why i think 90% of the SLRs features would be wasted.

I like the idea of taking photos that i can play with the focus and focus of different parts of a picture etc. However ultimately i just want something that takes great pics and i will actually get the use out of.

Just how good are the top of the range compacts now?
Old 06 November 2007, 12:12 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by frayz
I like the idea of taking photos that i can play with the focus and focus of different parts of a picture etc.

you are talking not about focus but depth of field....... the bit where the background is blurry but the foreground is pin sharp..... you won't be able to achieve this without a D-SLR or at least not without photoshop and you say you can't use this.

In my opinion you would get on fine with the cut down version of photoshop called "Photoshop Elements" it is unbelievably easy to use, and very cheap.

Your budget will get you a decent D-SLR and a wide'ish lens. you can get a telephoto lens at a later stage.

It's similar to the argument of getting a cheap front mounted intercooler or get a decent one. You know the answer to that don't you.....
Old 06 November 2007, 12:17 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Default Depth of field

Trending Topics

Old 06 November 2007, 12:33 PM
Mocom Racing
Former Sponsor

SLR.

I'm crap with a camera but after using Essexboy's at TA this year it proves you can be crap yet still get good results................

...unlike Subaru tuning
Old 06 November 2007, 02:54 PM
WRX_Dazza
Scooby Regular

Location: Going further than the station and back !!! ZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzz

remember, photoshop is no substitute for a good picture...
in fact i think untouched piccies always look best and you can they say, hey, i took that pic, not hey, my computer generated that pic!!

your welcome to try it out mate.....

i can even show you some examples of different settings
Old 06 November 2007, 03:05 PM
Mrs ESC
Scooby Regular

Location: Loving the ESC FAMILY thing. F*CK the TROUBLE MAKERS :D

[quote=Milamber;7389144]

Dont get a camera that takes bad pic like this. Thought it was Brad Pitt you were pointing the camera at lol.

Sorry Hun love ya really
Old 06 November 2007, 03:08 PM
BRI4N
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Milamber
you won't be able to achieve this without a D-SLR or at least not without photoshop

I beg to differ Chris......

Both unmolested, straight out of the camera.

Bri4n's camera takes some excellent pictures
Oi! I don't think it's just the camera.

but has a fixed lens
True, but you can buy add ons, 2x or 3x telephoto or wide angle.

All that said, I'd rather have a DSLR but can't warrant the large outlay for the little use it would get.
Old 06 November 2007, 03:28 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

My 2p

HAVING A GOOD CAMERA DOESN'T GUARANTEE A GOOD PHOTO

I have the Canon 400D with a couple of expensive lenses

Unless you are going to take time to learn how to use them rather than point and shoot then stick with a quality compact IMHO

Your free to borrow mine Frayz if you wish to experiment over a weekend
Old 06 November 2007, 04:03 PM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a similar dilemma recently when i was looking at upgrading my camera.

Although I didn't actually get round to it I decided that I would go for a compact again when I do finally upgrade. My reasons for this decision was even though I understand a D-SLR is far superior I just couldn't be hassled with carrying it around all the time and so I would hardly use it. I get annoyed with my camera now sometimes when I have to carry it and its only the size of a credit card and about an inch thick!

If you are looking at going out to do photo shoots of specific events etc. then fair enough, but other than that I just couldn't be bothered to carry it all around.

Take Germany for example, all the D-SLR's were out during the day taking some superb shots, but come the evening no one wanted to lug a massive D-SLR around!

So I guess the final decision is.....get both!
Old 06 November 2007, 04:13 PM
Phil
Track Day Organiser

Originally Posted by SirFozzalot

So I guess the final decision is.....get both!
Thats what I did

The Canon Ixus 6 great pocket camera gives some good "snaps" NO GOOD FOR TRACK SHOTS THOUGH
Old 06 November 2007, 04:19 PM
IN THE STICKS
Scooby Regular

Location: I'm still around in deepest Essex, now with a Fiesta ST-2

Fraz , a good site here , with some good reviews on various cameras that may help you Panasonic DMC FX50 Review

Dave
Old 06 November 2007, 04:37 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phil_stephens
My 2p

HAVING A GOOD CAMERA DOESN'T GUARANTEE A GOOD PHOTO

I have the Canon 400D with a couple of expensive lenses

Unless you are going to take time to learn how to use them rather than point and shoot then stick with a quality compact IMHO

Your free to borrow mine Frayz if you wish to experiment over a weekend
Very good 2P

My Sony compact DSC-P150 takes better pictures with me using it than a number of SLR's I have seen with other people taking the photos.

I would recomend borrowing Phils and see how you get on as you could spend 'starship money' without needing to.

The other thing is to decide what sort of pictures you want to take. I know that my camera is weak on fast motion shots and without a tripod is poor in very low light, although it is excellent at still shots and micro focus. The Fuji F31 is however supposed to excel in both low light and action shots.

I don't use Pshop for correction either, I prefer the image I captured.

Some picture whoring...

Home Shots

Not so great in low light

Close ups....

Movement...

Old 06 November 2007, 04:43 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Cheers for all the great replies guys. Keep em coming
Old 06 November 2007, 05:02 PM
Mark_B4
Scooby Regular

I must admit I quite fancy a DSLR camera, but I suspect I wouldn't get enough use out of it, to warrant the cost
Old 06 November 2007, 05:08 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Mark_B4
I must admit I quite fancy a DSLR camera, but I suspect I wouldn't get enough use out of it, to warrant the cost
Thats just it mate, look at Stu's photos and i struggle to see why i would want or need an SLR over those sort of pics.

I could easliy spunk a heap of money on an SLR and lenses but TBH if a high end compact will do 90% of the job at 20% of the cost, and theyre much easier to use.

From what ive heard, most of the lenses that come with the SLRs are junk anyway and need upgrading from the word go.

This is why its so hard to decide... SLRs look flash and do alot if you know what youre doing but as to how much use it will actually get is a different story.

I dont know the answers to these questions, hense im asking you guys lol
Old 06 November 2007, 05:15 PM
yellowvanman
Scooby Regular

Unless you are prepared to spend the time learning how to use an SLR correctly, and are prepared to put up with the bulk of it, then a good compact is the way to go.

I have a canon ixus that is all of 90x45x18mm, it takes a good picture, and fits easily in your pocket, weighs very little.

But I accept that I will not get the quality of pic that Milamber and co. get with theirs, but convienent easy of use take priority for me.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:17 PM
Mark_B4
Scooby Regular

Thats just it mate, look at Stu's photos and i struggle to see why i would want or need an SLR over those sort of pics.

I could easliy spunk a heap of money on an SLR and lenses but TBH if a high end compact will do 90% of the job at 20% of the cost, and theyre much easier to use.

From what ive heard, most of the lenses that come with the SLRs are junk anyway and need upgrading from the word go.

This is why its so hard to decide... SLRs look flash and do alot if you know what youre doing but as to how much use it will actually get is a different story.

I dont know the answers to these questions, hense im asking you guys lol
The standard len's that come with DSLR's are fine, but they are low ZOOooooom, for a reasonable Zoom lens you looking at a couple of hundred quid, so it soon mounts up.

All comes down to what you want or expect from a camera, Fozzie's got it on the head really, you need both, but then would the DSLR get enough use to warrant the high price

Probably best to splash out on a very high spec Compact
Old 06 November 2007, 05:20 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by yellowvanman
Unless you are prepared to spend the time learning how to use an SLR correctly, and are prepared to put up with the bulk of it, then a good compact is the way to go.

I have a canon ixus that is all of 90x45x18mm, it takes a good picture, and fits easily in your pocket, weighs very little.

But I accept that I will not get the quality of pic that Milamber and co. get with theirs, but convienent easy of use take priority for me.
Gotta admit Neil, this is whats swaying the compact for me.

Id rather get 90% enjoyment and use from a £300 compact than only 10% use from and all singing all dancing £1000 SLR.

Its a tough call as i do like the SLRs, just gotta weigh it up i guess.
Old 06 November 2007, 05:34 PM
Scooby Senior

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine is 7.1mp and if you use photoshop for cropping and resizing you can get some ace close ups with a compact. Apologies, I likes gardening.

If the resolution is good enough you can zoom right in on the fly.

FWIW I am going to upgrade to another compact and mini tripod in the new year. Not sure I have the capacity to absorb the necessary skills to get the most out of an SLR.
Old 06 November 2007, 07:39 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Okay, now thinking of 2 cameras.

1x DSLR for all my serious stuff
1x cheap compact for nights out etc.

Dammit, this is gonna be expensive. Got an engine to pay for first though lol
Old 06 November 2007, 08:37 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

LOL That's my boy

Was the cheap option ever on the cards ?
Old 06 November 2007, 08:57 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Originally Posted by BRI4N
I beg to differ Chris......
I stand corrected
Old 06 November 2007, 09:20 PM
Dave_68
Scooby Regular

1x DSLR for all my serious stuff
1x cheap compact for nights out etc.

Is that my fault???

Good to speak to you earlier Frayz...I'll drop you that mail sometime tomorrow...
Old 06 November 2007, 09:24 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Just to put my ten pence worth in here........

I do have a V.Good Canon DSLR, with three lenses and various other bits and bobs, which I like to use when I'm in the mood for what I call "serious picture taking" - HOWEVER, I also use an 8.1 Meg Nikon Coolpix P3 compact as well, mainly for when I am just out and about, and more importantly for me - when I go on holiday abroad - I really do NOT want to take my DSLR due to the weight and the security dangers (heard of too many DSLR's being nicked abroad for my liking).

I wanted a "ruddy good" compact which can shoot in all light conditions, but not be so big and cumbersome that I didn't take it with me - I chose the Nikon P3 when I was upgrading my compact as it was the best of the bunch for me at that time (6 months ago).

Go for both Frayz (you know you want to.... ) - BUT realistically expect to use the compact much more on a regular basis........

Hope that helps a bit
Old 07 November 2007, 12:39 AM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Originally Posted by Looie
Just to put my ten pence worth in here........

I do have a V.Good Canon DSLR, with three lenses and various other bits and bobs, which I like to use when I'm in the mood for what I call "serious picture taking" - HOWEVER, I also use an 8.1 Meg Nikon Coolpix P3 compact as well, mainly for when I am just out and about, and more importantly for me - when I go on holiday abroad - I really do NOT want to take my DSLR due to the weight and the security dangers (heard of too many DSLR's being nicked abroad for my liking).

I wanted a "ruddy good" compact which can shoot in all light conditions, but not be so big and cumbersome that I didn't take it with me - I chose the Nikon P3 when I was upgrading my compact as it was the best of the bunch for me at that time (6 months ago).

Go for both Frayz (you know you want to.... ) - BUT realistically expect to use the compact much more on a regular basis........

Hope that helps a bit
Exactly my train of thought, bleedin Daves fault PMSL

I have a load of engine components to pay for at the end of the month and then i can do a little camera shopping, im liking the look of the D80 Nikon but i'll go and try a few out in the shops beforehand, then hunt for the best deal.

Cheers for all your inputs guys and please feel free to keep adding as the more info the better for me.

I tried really hard to go for the more cost effective option but...

well you know me

Last edited by frayz; 07 November 2007 at 12:45 AM.
Old 07 November 2007, 09:53 AM
trails
Scooby Regular

Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

no point buying a DSLR unless you are going to use multiple lenses...a modern compact camera (as illustrated by quite a few of the pics above), will take excellent shots on full auto and won't break the bank. Saying that DSLR's are a pleasure to use and you can achieve some stunning results but the law of diminishing returns kicks in and you have to decide if you are going to pay 50-60% more for 10% more functionality/quality, which you probably won't use

Quick Reply: Attention photographers, can i pick your brains