Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

custom plates

Search this Thread

Old 18 November 2006, 10:31 PM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default custom plates

ill be registering my car here in a few days.... does this country offer custom plates for the car..... i want it to say something(dont know what yet) but any info you have is helpful
Old 18 November 2006, 10:46 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

Not really, the DVLA have something called "cherished" plates but it's quite tricky to get something useful nowadays. The best we get are the "Scooby" plates but they are running out now...

i.e S50 OBY
Old 18 November 2006, 10:55 PM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

There are basically perhaps 2 things you should be aware of, one is, to a degree, you can have a plate to read a certain way, such as initialls or a word etc, these are called "cherished transfer" or "private" plates.

It depends of course on the age of your car. You mind find this resource useful DVLA Personalised registrations , but you could pay mega-bucks for some of these !!

The other is how you display the chosen registration, ie fonts, size etc.
There are set guidelines for how a plate should look in the UK. You may find this site useful Number plates and registration marks

Of course you can have what ever you want for 'off-road' use and 'show purposes'.

Hope this helps.
Old 18 November 2006, 11:05 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Tissy
There are basically perhaps 2 things you should be aware of, one is, to a degree, you can have a plate to read a certain way, such as initialls or a word etc, these are called "cherished transfer" or "private" plates.

It depends of course on the age of your car. You mind find this resource useful DVLA Personalised registrations , but you could pay mega-bucks for some of these !!

The other is how you display the chosen registration, ie fonts, size etc.
There are set guidelines for how a plate should look in the UK. You may find this site useful Number plates and registration marks

Of course you can have what ever you want for 'off-road' use and 'show purposes'.

Hope this helps.
spoil sport
Old 18 November 2006, 11:31 PM
Milamber
Scooby Senior

There's always one isn't there.....

Tissy, have you voted on my "PLEASE HELP" thread yet
Old 19 November 2006, 12:14 AM
Tissy
Scooby Regular

I don't know, you try to be helpful and constructive

But you're right.......wrx_yank, grab a piece of plastic about the size of a number plate, hell any size you want really. Put what ever numbers and letters you want on it to make your own choice of number plate and your done.

Best of luck
Old 19 November 2006, 04:04 AM
wrx_yank
Scooby Regular

HOLY S*IT those plates on that site are rediculosly priced... and im not paying my left arm for somthing that is 1 letter off from what i want ....JEEESH in AMERICA you can get a plate that says anything!!!!! for $60 ....thats 30 pounds, ill be dammed if im paying 399 pounds minimum..... screw that.... thanks for the help any ways fellas... maybe ill just pesonalize them with fancyplates.com are those legal(with the funky colors and weird fonts and the subaru symbol) i would much rather do that

so are they legal or what?
Old 19 November 2006, 08:28 AM
Andy-C
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by wrx_yank
HOLY S*IT those plates on that site are rediculosly priced... and im not paying my left arm for somthing that is 1 letter off from what i want ....JEEESH in AMERICA you can get a plate that says anything!!!!! for $60 ....thats 30 pounds, ill be dammed if im paying 399 pounds minimum..... screw that.... thanks for the help any ways fellas... maybe ill just pesonalize them with fancyplates.com are those legal(with the funky colors and weird fonts and the subaru symbol) i would much rather do that

Hi Mate
so are they legal or what?
They are only legal for road use IF they are of the correct font, colour, spacing and height..as Tissy said.

Saying that, I have seen plates that are spaced out wrong e.g. a car with '11' slanted to look like a 'V' or something like 'H1S MC' instead of the correct spacing 'H1 SMC'

HTH and good luck in Blighty

Andy
Old 19 November 2006, 09:07 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Welcome to Great Britain wrx_yank ...... You will get used to be being shafted for everything you want over here.

The only good thing, everything 'seems' cheap when you go abroad
Old 19 November 2006, 09:16 AM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by *Nate*
Welcome to Great Britain wrx_yank ...... You will get used to be being shafted for everything you want over here.

The only good thing, everything 'seems' cheap when you go abroad
Great post

Reputation point added to your account