Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

The master in action

Search this Thread

Old 01 November 2006, 06:15 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The master in action

Colin McRae XGames Roll - front row view - Google Video

Crawling From the Wreckage
Pastrana edges McRae in high drama shootout at Summer X Games
Written by: Eric Johnson

In what boiled down to a spectacular one lap, winner take all shootout, Travis Pastrana won the inaugural Rally Car Racing gold medal at the 2006 Summer X Games over world class rally pilot Colin McRae. Leading into the final "Super Special" in the sold-out Home Depot Center in Los Angeles, McRae and co-driver Nicky Grist appeared to have everything sorted-out and in order. Holding an 0.5 second lead after the first eight stages (which were held the Wednesday prior in Gorman, California, on the far outskirts of northern Los Angeles), McRae and Grist - driving a SoBe/No Fear Gold Subaru WRX Sti - only had to better Pastrana's Super Special lap time of 1:56.49. The final car to drop into the stadium in the Home Depot Center, the 30,000-strong present were on their feet, watching McRae guide the Subaru around the 22-turn, one-mile circuit, and wondering if he would take the measure of the young American. After a strong, smooth run, McRae only had to reenter the stadium and traverse the final dirt section to win the gold medal. But that's when it all, literally, went upside down, the gold WRX digging its front nose into the face a jump, the car then sent pirouetting over the stadium floor. "I just dug the front in a bit too much on the transition on the jump and it just flipped the car over," smiled McRae upon getting out of the car, the crowd still roaring its approval.

Added Nicky Grist, Champagne bottle in his hand and leaning on the battered, bruised and wrinkled WRX. "When we landed the car popped the tire off the rim. Then the rim actually dug in on impact, which actually made us roll. But then the car rolled right over, fell onto the wheels, straight into first gear and dropped the clutch. At one point I thought, '****! We're going to get away this to a point.' We popped a tire, though and the car started laboring. I think that's where we lost it, really. The roll, in the way we landed, it was much, much more quicker that driving it properly."
SoBe No Fear - Gallery

When all was said and done and the nine stages aggregated, Pastrana and co-driver Christian Edstrom won the event with a time of 12:02.19. McRae and Grist were second with a combined time of 12:02.71. DC Shoes founder Ken Block and co-driver Alex Gelsomino had a fine rally, driving their Subaru WRX to third overall with a time of 12:21.32.

"Even though we didn't win, I think what happened at the end here was the best thing that could have ever happened," beamed McRae. "Travis won and he was a worthy winner. But what happened with the roll and close finish was actually brilliant for the sport. It showed America how exciting and extreme it can be. When we flipped the car over, we could here the crowd cheering from inside the car. It was perfect."

Concurred the charming Grist, "I'm absolutely delighted. This incident now is going to go down in history. It's not about who won this rally, it's about what happened in this stadium today!"

Pastrana, understandably, was beside himself with joy at not only winning the rally, but defeating his true hero. "Yeah, I'm still riding the high of just racing Colin in my first rally," said Pastrana who thrilled America the night before by executing the first double backflip on a motocross bike. "For Colin to roll and keep on going and not lose that much time, I was like, 'Did he still beat me?' I was happy with how I drove the last stage here. I was real smooth and my braking points were good. I don't think I could have done it much better. But still, I can't get over what Colin did. Even after the car rolled, he still had it pointed in the right direction."

Both McRae and Grist thoroughly enjoyed participating in their first Summer X Games and when asked if they would be willing to come back and participate in Summer X Games 13, McRae answered with a resounding, 'Absolutely! It was magic!'"
Old 01 November 2006, 06:32 PM
Tiny
Scooby Regular

Awesome !!
Old 01 November 2006, 07:01 PM
John1uk
Scooby Regular

very nice
Old 01 November 2006, 07:06 PM
MrBush
Scooby Regular

Quality!
Old 02 November 2006, 07:14 AM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

and he still came 2nd
Old 02 November 2006, 08:35 AM
mrs_b4
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Her at the back
and he still came 2nd
It's where any decent man should come!
Old 02 November 2006, 10:32 AM
SirFozzalot
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a longer version of that clip somewhere that follows him all the way through the stage.

Some awesome driving!

Trending Topics

Old 02 November 2006, 01:58 PM
Tomski_908
Scooby Regular

I wanna go!!
Old 02 November 2006, 04:00 PM
Her at the back
Scooby Regular

watched it on Five US