Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

*****ESOC 2016 EVENT BRAINSTORMING*****

Search this Thread

Old 22 February 2016, 08:50 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default *****ESOC 2016 EVENT BRAINSTORMING*****

It’s hard to believe that it’s going to be the 1st of March next week! Where is this year going??

With the first of the pub meets in the pipeline and with a few already putting their names down for attendance- including some old faces and some who prove a little more challenging to commandeer- I’ve been racking my brain for ideas on what other ventures 2016 could hold for us.

It’s no secret that with regards to show attendance we have somewhat ‘dropped the ball’ over the last few years, which is a shame. I appreciate that this isn’t something that can just be instantly amended with the click of a finger, but that’s not for want of trying.
So, I figured it was time I stopped spinning around on my chair, daydreaming about all the things we could be doing as a club, became a little more proactive and started trying to drum up some enthusiasm to actually physically GO to these things.

At this moment in time, what I am suggesting are merely casual, group days-out where we all travel somewhere, get together, have a laugh, no pressure.

The reason I suggest this approach at this juncture is because I think the minute you start to organise Club Stands, ticket purchasing, track-time, anything that involves people making a prior commitment, forking up money before hand or setting deadlines for people to get their names down to attend- it just snowballs out of control.
The end result is a negative attitude of ‘Well, I’m not doing THAT again’.

Taking a more laid back and spontaneous approach, allowing people the freedom to come and go to these things on a ‘see how we feel on the morning and maybe we’ll see you there’ basis will result in a far more positive and enjoyable experience for everyone involved. No pressure, no upfront costs, no fear of the weather spoiling it for everyone.

If we find it to be a success, people enjoy going as a group, we get a good and regular attendance and renewed enthusiasm THEN we will look at revisiting the notion of Club Stands and making the events more of an official outing and hopefully- a club tradition.

Below I have listed a few events that I had made a note of with the intention of hopefully attending myself.
So, I thought I would share them with you on the off chance that maybe some of you would feel inspired and also like to attend them. Maybe you already are?
Some of them will be familiar suggestions from years gone by, some are a complete shot-in-the-dark suggestion;

ACE CAFÉ
‘Scooby Special’

TUESDAY 22ND MARCH 2016 (6pm-11pm)

BTCC @ Brands Hatch
Opening Round (Indy)

SATURDAY 2ND - SUNDAY 3RD APRIL 2016

JAPFEST @ Silverstone

SUNDAY 24TH APRIL 2016

AMERICAN SPEEDFEST IV @ Brands Hatch

SATURDAY 11TH - SUNDAY 12TH JUNE 2016

MATCHING GREEN CLASSIC CAR SHOW

SUNDAY 3RD JULY 2016

JAPSHOW @ Santa Pod

SUNDAY 10TH JULY 2016

RALLYDAY 2016 @ Castle Combe

SATURDAY 24TH SEPTEMBER 2016

BTCC @ Brands Hatch (GP)

SATURDAY 1ST - SUNDAY 2ND OCTOBER 2016

ACE CAFÉ
‘Fueltopia Meet’

MONDAY 14TH NOVEMBER 2016 (6pm-11pm)

Please feel free to comment with your thoughts. And if you know anything that is coming up and you think it’s worth sharing with the group then please, share away!
No matter the event, it doesn’t have to be ‘Subaru-related’, as you can see, some of these listed above are not.

It doesn’t even have to be ‘car’ related as such. I have merely suggested these pre-existing car shows as a starting point to get the juices flowing.

Previously we have entertained the idea of a ‘Sunday Hoon’ during the finer months, meeting up and-sensibly-enjoying some of the finer roads Essex has to offer, before convening somewhere for refreshments and a natter.

There’s the Brighton Run and Tunnel Runs which take place at various stages in the year.

Maybe we could look into a spontaneous BBQ in summer?

A curry night?

Some form of park and meet at an eatery out and about.

Literally ANYTHING that offers something for everyone to look forward to and a mark in the ESOC events diary to show that we are still an active club who ‘do stuff’.

So, I hereby throw this thread open. Comment/Suggest away.

If this proves successful it could be a real turnaround for us all…

If not- >Meh<

I tried.

Last edited by Frizzle-Dee; 22 February 2016 at 08:52 AM.
Old 22 February 2016, 08:05 PM
Scoobysmeet
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Sunday 12th June, Japanese auto fest @ museum of power in Heybridge. Went to their american car show last year and that was really good.
Old 22 February 2016, 09:36 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Ace Cafe' is an iconic venue with a great history. Not the best place to get to but worth it.
I was never a biker (many regrets!) but driving along the North Circular in the early 60's on a Saturday night could be fun!
Go there!

Maybe consider 'Simply Japanese' at Beauliegh at beginning of August. I've been twice - great venue and a good show. 10 quid entry also gets you into the motor museum. I usually book into a pub b&b to make a long weekend of it in the New Forest.

JohnD

Last edited by JohnD; 22 February 2016 at 09:45 PM.
Old 22 February 2016, 10:07 PM
stealthbomber
Scooby Regular

A hoon in june type of affair would be a good way to spend an afternoon, shame it never happened last year, hopefully we can make it happen this year.
Old 23 February 2016, 07:00 AM
Frizzle-Dee
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by stealthbomber
A hoon in june type of affair would be a good way to spend an afternoon, shame it never happened last year, hopefully we can make it happen this year.
It may both shock and somewhat sadden you when I say that the 'Hoon in June' was actually from back in 2014!

How time flies!!- hence my eagerness to avoid watching yet another year pass us by.

Anyhu, great suggestions so far chaps, keep 'em rolling in.
Old 26 February 2016, 11:31 PM
romford-boy
Scooby Regular

Why not start of with some of the local Essex events, easy ones that we can get to and isn't Subaru specific.

The Hare in Chelmsford every month only lasts a few hours, is dead easy to get to and has all sorts of vehicles turn up.

Now I've got a young family I can't take days out of the diary to trek to Silverstone or whatever, but a few hours on a summers morning (especially if the wife can wander off and look at the high end metal) works pretty well IMO.
Old 27 February 2016, 02:55 PM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

I've mentioned it before but time attack when it's on at brands hatch this year. Last year I went and it's such a mix of cars competing as well as a drift demo. There's a smallish show on, trade stands and public track time if you fancy it. Depending on wether Mrs will be ok on her own with the twins I should be going.
Old 29 February 2016, 03:09 AM
Lillyart14
Scooby Regular

The BHP Performance Show at Lydden Hill (near Canterbury, Kent) is during the bank holiday of May. It's a full weekend this year as opposed to just the Monday. Always a wide variety of cars in attendance. Yes, I know it's Kent and not Essex but it's only a 90 minute drive from the pub we all frequent...
Old 01 March 2016, 07:06 AM
LoganS
Scooby Regular

Just booked my place on an activity day at north weald for this August, went in November last year with a couple of mates and made a couple more.

Really fun day where you take a high speed corner, followed by 3 different sprints, you do queue but had 4 goes on each. Wrx owners resist the want to launch..

Not far away and only £49

http://www.carlimits.com/script/viewEvents.php?type=airfieldactivity&month=2016080 1

Last edited by LoganS; 01 March 2016 at 07:07 AM.
Old 11 March 2016, 08:37 PM
Rab555
Scooby Regular

I've done one of the car limits tuition days with Andy Walsh and mark robins. Was a great day and really helped me get to know the car much better.... Made me realise how much potential these cars have when you know how to drive them!

Also, I've been attending JAE with some Scottish mates the last few years, must admit if a camping/jap/show event is your thing it's a blast! Club stands are cheap and the new location in Newark Showground is fantastic!

Last edited by Rab555; 11 March 2016 at 08:39 PM.
Old 12 March 2016, 02:57 PM
scoobypmp
Scooby Regular

Japanese Auto Fest in Heybridge looks good to me too, I don't think there's a Scoob stand there yet?