Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Anyone got any idea where I can get this?

Search this Thread

Old 23 March 2015, 09:25 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone got any idea where I can get this?

Wondering if anyone has any idea where I could find something like this..........?? - First of all I'm NOT looking for an Engine Hoist... !! but I AM looking for something like it..... read on.........

The council garage I use - I can get my VRS into it, but it takes up the full length, leaving no room for any free standing shelving apart from a very narrow one (30 cm) at the bottom right sideways on level with the OSF wing region. I need to put stuff into the garage as well as the VRS... so I'm having to think outside of the box a bit and I've come up with an idea.........

What I'm looking for is for a way to have something up against the bottom garage wall, but with "prongs" that would be far enough high to extend over the top of my bonnet, so I could lay wooden planks or something similar across them to make a shelf. With two of these, I can have a VERY wide and long shelf.....

The bonnet would just go underneath the "shelf" when parking it into the garage........ the lower bars/legs would just go under the car (got enough wheel clearance)... so then I could just drive the car in and out without doing anything...

I suppose one way to help people realise what I'm trying to find is - if you image an engine hoist.... it has two bars/legs at the bottom floor, an adjustable "upright" thingy that raises the post up and down, and where the bit that holds onto the engine goes - I'm looking for one or two solid bars similar to the bars/legs at the bottom that I can place the shelf onto.........

So - Image one like the image above - the bottom bars/legs - don't need castors as it won't be moving anywhere - don't need the hydraulic pump thingy, as it will be at a set height and will never change.... and where the extendable arm bit that fits to the engine is - don't need anything extendable - all I need is one or two matching bars/legs just like the bottom ones..... so that I have solid flat "arm(s)" to place the planks onto...........

Someone, somewhere must have had the same thought as me and made these up - but what on earth do you call them? I've tried lots of searches, but just can't find what I'm looking for..........

I guess if I can't, then I might have to see if I can try to find someone who could make a pair up......... but maybe someone on here knows what I'm trying to get at and can point me in the general direction....

Ta muchly.......... Looie
Old 23 March 2015, 09:56 PM
ossett2k2
Scooby Regular

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

What about suspended shelving similar to this idea.
http://contractorkurt.com/2013/06/30...dware-methods/
Old 23 March 2015, 10:19 PM
Looie
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Location: It's not a Scoob, or even a Skoda, but 200bhp is on the horizon..

Originally Posted by ossett2k2
What about suspended shelving similar to this idea.
http://contractorkurt.com/2013/06/30...dware-methods/
Nice idea, but the Council won't let you do that in their garages - They have already moved me once this year to another garage as they wanted to refurbish the one I was in, so whatever I finally get has to be freestanding and mobile for moving to any alternative garage, which with my council, could be with a couple of days notice!
Old 24 March 2015, 01:27 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough

What you want is a light weight version of this "Cantilever Racking".

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Cantilever...-/151628387480

My quick search only seemed to find ready made heavy duty stuff. A decent blacksmith/wrought iron worker/welder etc could knock some up or get some giant meccano (Dexion?) and then you can make your own to your own measurements.

http://www.tradesystems.co.uk/Slotte...FWbKtAodxmQAHA
Old 24 March 2015, 02:00 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

you just need wood, brb
Old 24 March 2015, 02:09 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by riiidaa
you just need wood, brb
lengths of timber, and some marine ply for however many shelf layers you want, and wood screws

Old 24 March 2015, 02:10 AM
riiidaa
Scooby Regular

completely free standing and can be designed to your requirements