Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Help need a new turbo

Search this Thread

Old 16 December 2014, 12:27 PM
deliverydriver69
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help need a new turbo

Hi guys as some people are aware my car has been poorly over the last 5 months since having a front mount an another turbo fitted, got the report back from Andy Williams Motorsport and it ain't good
So I need to get a brand new one, can anbody recommend a supplier I want a 20g billeted standard fit, cheers in advance
Here's what the report said by the way
Hi Ian,

As disussed on the phone, ive stripped the turbo and it looks like it has suffered from oil starvation. The bearings are discoloured and badly worn, the main shaft is bent and compressor wheel and housing damaged. The small amount of oil in the turbo is black and smells like its overheated.
It's difficult to say why this has happened, the turbo itself is clear for oil to flow through it. This would suggest that the feed from the engine has a blockage, this could be the steel feed pipe, the wrong banjo or blocked banjo bolt fitted.
From what you told me The fitter initially drove the car after fitting the turbo and it boosted fine, it then lost power. From this I would say the oil on the bearings ( I applied when doing the rebuild) allowed it to work ok initially, but due to no fresh oil getting to the turbo it then overheated and damaged the bearings etc.

Regards..........Andy

www.wms-racing.com
Old 16 December 2014, 02:47 PM
frayz
Essex Area Moderator
Support Scoobynet!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Talk to Alyn @ AS Performance. He will help you.
Old 16 December 2014, 05:15 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember the conversation at a club meet?
It's difficult to imagine how the shaft on a turbo would actually bend? Wheel and housing damage points towards axial play in the shaft which sounds plausible if there's been oil starvation. That certainly needs sorting before you ever think of bolting on a nice new turbo!
An MDX321H or SC42 would see you with nice power and spool - with all the supporting mods, of course.

JohnD
Old 16 December 2014, 07:36 PM
imprezagaz
Scooby Regular

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Similar thing happened to me, had the car serviced at a local garage and they advised an additive in the oil to "protect" it. Had an sc36 turbo last 900 miles because the oil was too thin for the turbo and apparently ran it dry.