Notices
Essex Subaru Owners Club The official dedicated forum for Essex Subaru Owners Club Events.

Part Needed

Search this Thread

Old 24 May 2014, 03:40 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Part Needed

Need a camshaft position sensor for my bug.
Anyone got a good used one I can borrow/buy to confirm the fault I have.
Cheers
Old 24 May 2014, 05:20 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not the sort of thing many people would have lurking in the shed somewhere, unfortunately. If it's a working one the chances are it's still on the engine!
Take the existing one out (and the crank posn. sensor as well) give them a good clean and test by connecting the terminals to a sensitive analogue voltmeter (digital one may not react quick enough) and pass a screwdriver blade quickly across the sensor face without actually touching the surface. There should be a small reaction on the voltmeter. When re-installing them, spray the terminals and connector with electrical cleaner before connecting.
I did all this when I suffered erratic starting, unfortunately it didn't cure it, but my magic stick did!
Old 24 May 2014, 06:33 PM
Inviroman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is your magic stick?
Done all the above already, magnetic switches can suffer from voltage drop off which will still work but not give correct voltage when cold and hot.
The only way to test correctly is to know the resistance at certain temps and test with voltage.
That's why I am looking for a used one at present to compare and test before buy new.
Old 25 May 2014, 09:46 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Inviroman
What is your magic stick?
Done all the above already, magnetic switches can suffer from voltage drop off which will still work but not give correct voltage when cold and hot.
The only way to test correctly is to know the resistance at certain temps and test with voltage.
That's why I am looking for a used one at present to compare and test before buy new.
The stick that wedges the throttle open (to vent the inlet manifold and head) after switching off. It's never failed to start first turn of the key, using this. Always remember to un-wedge the throttle before starting!

JohnD