Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ecu upgrade for classic 99 impreza uk turbo 2000

Old 04 March 2014, 10:40 AM
  #1  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ecu upgrade for classic 99 impreza uk turbo 2000

Restoring a 1999 impreza turbo 2000 uk car,decided to give it some more power,exhaust panel filter decat.But now looking to purchase a ecu upgrade.There are two available to me,they are both prodrive.My question is would both fit straight plug and play,or do i need to get them coded to my vehicle(what does this mean),the ecu details are as follows



on cover the following information SP sti 1001056110 A18-000DIX 0418 3 PLUG ECU



Next ecu the one i think thats most favourable



on cover the following information J2 2261af041 A18-000-do2 This ecu states by the seller just plugs in



this coding question is what confuses me???



Any valid advice welcome!!!
geniershow is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 10:58 AM
  #2  
Gambit
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 2,612
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

SP is the correct prodrive ecu for 99/00 cars & is just plug & play, to need to code any keys etc.

to get the best out of it you really need the upgraded Y-pipe, either the prodrive one, or an STI item,
Gambit is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 11:01 AM
  #3  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,326
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

its just a map change, not an upgrade. get existing ecu remapepd and job done.
Tidgy is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 11:05 AM
  #4  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

thanks gambit and tidgey,gambit so no coding problems with sp,just plug and play for uk turbo 2000 year 99? also any links to y pipe informationwould be helpful for example ebay uk sale Thanks

Last edited by geniershow; 04 March 2014 at 11:09 AM.
geniershow is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 11:36 AM
  #5  
Gambit
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 2,612
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

prodrive Y pipe looks like this
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8101/harvest310.jpg

Std Y pipe looks like this
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/r...ndardypipe.jpg


Prodrive one just flows better - you can pick up the Y pipe usually for about 40

Ecutek remap is 550+vat for reference! but i wouldnt be going down this route unless changing the turbo

270bhp is achievable on the Prodrive ECU & yes its, to the word, plug and play
Gambit is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 11:40 AM
  #6  
Gambit
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 2,612
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

just to add, i had an MY99 uk classic for 4 years, 3 of which was running the prodrive ECU, and this was in Belfast, running on 97RON fuel. never skipped a beat

the fella who bought the car off me is still running it in same spec and its on 120k mile now

bang for buck you wont beat the prodrive ecu, and being in NI you have no ecutek mappers except those that come over for 2days every 6mths.
Gambit is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 01:18 PM
  #7  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Thanks alot Gambit i appreciate your straight talking and information going to go for the sp sti ecu,put it in my subaru impreza turbo 2000 awd,hopefully give it better power and driver appeal,my folks from east belfast,i live co down myself thanks again Genie
geniershow is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 10:53 PM
  #8  
john banks
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: 32 cylinders and many cats
Posts: 18,658
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

The gain of a PPP ECU is barely noticeable on a MY99 which already has a slightly better map than MY00. I did blinded tests with a boost increase with MY99 vs PPP back in the day. If it is cheap it would save you doing ghetto methods of raising the boost limit.
john banks is offline  
Old 04 March 2014, 11:04 PM
  #9  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

cheers John appreciated
geniershow is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 08:38 AM
  #10  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,326
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
prodrive Y pipe looks like this
http://img152.imageshack.us/img152/8101/harvest310.jpg

Std Y pipe looks like this
http://i469.photobucket.com/albums/r...ndardypipe.jpg


Prodrive one just flows better - you can pick up the Y pipe usually for about 40

Ecutek remap is 550+vat for reference! but i wouldnt be going down this route unless changing the turbo

270bhp is achievable on the Prodrive ECU & yes its, to the word, plug and play
270 on a ppp ecu? you having a larf?
Tidgy is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 12:08 PM
  #11  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

tidgy,I agree with gambit,the sti prodrive sp ecu you could achieve in the 'region' of 270bhp,with full de cat air filter,440 injectors and td04,even with sport cat.Did my homwork with a tuner.
geniershow is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 02:11 PM
  #12  
john banks
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: 32 cylinders and many cats
Posts: 18,658
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

PPP, decat downpipe and boost controller did 257 on Maha, where a MY00 with full exhaust did 220. There can easily be more differences between dynos than standard vs modified.
john banks is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 05:36 PM
  #13  
Tidgy
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Notts
Posts: 22,326
Likes: 0
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default

we talking off the shelf map or after custom remap?
Tidgy is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 05:46 PM
  #14  
sssssteeeee
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 512
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

ecutec map or depending on plans alcatek the new boards have much to offer at a good price to.
sssssteeeee is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 05:53 PM
  #15  
geniershow
Scooby Regular
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: co down
Posts: 41
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

cheers sssssssteeeeeeee
geniershow is offline  
Old 05 March 2014, 08:12 PM
  #16  
Gambit
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Belfast
Posts: 2,612
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Tidgy View Post
270 on a ppp ecu? you having a larf?
no.

PPP ECU, prodrive Y-Pipe & center resonator removed
HKS Panel filter
Newage Intercooler
Std Catted Downpipe

only other thing was acuator arm tightened up. held 1.2 bar (as opposed to 1.1bar std on PPP, reading via PSI3 Datamonitor)

257bhp/268lbft
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...ealthcheck.jpg

Sport Cat Downpipe was then added, but never dyno'd so id say yes 270bhp was possible -unless JGM's 'road' dynoplots are optimistic

you can crank the boost on a std MY99 ECU as they run stupidly rich as John banks says, only difference would be the midrange improvement the PPP gives which made the car far more driveable imo

Last edited by Gambit; 05 March 2014 at 08:37 PM.
Gambit is offline  
Old 08 November 2014, 03:57 PM
  #17  
jaygsi
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (46)
 
jaygsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 12,184
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

So can the prodrive ecu be remapped?


Originally Posted by Gambit View Post
no.

PPP ECU, prodrive Y-Pipe & center resonator removed
HKS Panel filter
Newage Intercooler
Std Catted Downpipe

only other thing was acuator arm tightened up. held 1.2 bar (as opposed to 1.1bar std on PPP, reading via PSI3 Datamonitor)

257bhp/268lbft
http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/a...ealthcheck.jpg

Sport Cat Downpipe was then added, but never dyno'd so id say yes 270bhp was possible -unless JGM's 'road' dynoplots are optimistic

you can crank the boost on a std MY99 ECU as they run stupidly rich as John banks says, only difference would be the midrange improvement the PPP gives which made the car far more driveable imo
jaygsi is offline  
Old 15 November 2014, 01:07 PM
  #18  
Bob Rawle
Ecu Specialist
 
Bob Rawle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Swindon
Posts: 3,938
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Yes it can

That delta dash plot figure is reading the peak, in practice you should take the average of the high and low points across the graph but its not a million miles off as the graph is decently smooth

270 is possible with a remap and supporting mods using 97 ron

cheers

bob
Bob Rawle is offline  
Old 12 September 2016, 01:34 PM
  #19  
jaygsi
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (46)
 
jaygsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 12,184
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Who maps the Prodrive ecu?
jaygsi is offline  
Old 12 September 2016, 06:43 PM
  #20  
Shane
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 502
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Don't remap the Prodrive ECU, get the standard ECU remapped and sell the Prodrive on, a remapped standard ECU will give exactly the same results as remapping the Prodrive one.
I run a Prodrive ECU, Green Cotton Filter, Decat downpipe, Prodrive Intercooler Pipework and prodrive back box and have left the centre cat in place to stop the turbo over boosting, it made 251bhp on Surrey Rolling Road with fuelling spot on.

Last edited by Shane; 12 September 2016 at 06:44 PM.
Shane is offline  
Old 12 September 2016, 06:53 PM
  #21  
jaygsi
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (46)
 
jaygsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: uk
Posts: 12,184
Likes: 0
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default

Nice, you can't remap standard ecu on 1997-1998 without esl, and sure the same for Prodrive ecu same year.

What year is yours?
jaygsi is offline  
Old 12 September 2016, 07:20 PM
  #22  
Shane
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 502
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Mines a 99, both the original and the Prodrive/STi ECU for the 99/00 cars are only mappable by ECUTEK or ECU LABS. Only other options are finding a compatible aftermarket ECU like an Apexi Power FC.
Shane is offline  
Old 12 September 2016, 07:24 PM
  #23  
joz8968
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (13)
 
joz8968's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Indochina......hiding inside a bowl of rice
Posts: 23,708
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shane
Mines a 99, both the original and the Prodrive/STi ECU for the 99/00 cars are only mappable by ECUTEK or ECU LABS. Only other options are finding a compatible aftermarket ECU like an Apexi Power FC.
Out of interest, did ESL ever work on a solution for the "phase 2" MY99/00 cars? I can't remember if they did or not (but that the venture just petered out - so to speak?).

Last edited by joz8968; 12 September 2016 at 07:46 PM.
joz8968 is offline  
Old 12 October 2016, 10:35 PM
  #24  
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Windsor
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Don't remap the Prodrive ECU, get the standard ECU remapped and sell the Prodrive on, a remapped standard ECU will give exactly the same results as remapping the Prodrive one.
I run a Prodrive ECU, Green Cotton Filter, Decat downpipe, Prodrive Intercooler Pipework and prodrive back box and have left the centre cat in place to stop the turbo over boosting, it made 251bhp on Surrey Rolling Road with fuelling spot on.
Hi mate I'm running a prodrive ecu on my 99 Impreza. From what you have just said I may have removed the wrong cat.

My understanding was you take the centre cat out and leave the down pipe one in place but you have done the opposite.

Can someone confirm which cat should be removed please
SunilWRX is offline  
Old 13 October 2016, 07:26 AM
  #25  
Shane
Scooby Regular
iTrader: (6)
 
Shane's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 502
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

PPP spec was to remove centre cat but they had to meet emissions controls, I didn't If you go full decat on the standard or PPP 99/00 ECU you'll have overboost problems, by leaving the centre cat in place it helps keep everything under control, a decat downpipe is a lot less restrictive than the standard downpipe and will help it spool up a biy quicker.
You've not done anything wrong by removing doing it the way you have, it's just that there are better gains to be had by keeping the centre cat and changing the downpipe.
Shane is offline  
Old 13 October 2016, 11:05 AM
  #26  
SunilWRX
Scooby Regular
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Near Windsor
Posts: 98
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Shane View Post
Don't remap the Prodrive ECU, get the standard ECU remapped and sell the Prodrive on, a remapped standard ECU will give exactly the same results as remapping the Prodrive one.
I run a Prodrive ECU, Green Cotton Filter, Decat downpipe, Prodrive Intercooler Pipework and prodrive back box and have left the centre cat in place to stop the turbo over boosting, it made 251bhp on Surrey Rolling Road with fuelling spot on.
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
PPP spec was to remove centre cat but they had to meet emissions controls, I didn't If you go full decat on the standard or PPP 99/00 ECU you'll have overboost problems, by leaving the centre cat in place it helps keep everything under control, a decat downpipe is a lot less restrictive than the standard downpipe and will help it spool up a biy quicker.
You've not done anything wrong by removing doing it the way you have, it's just that there are better gains to be had by keeping the centre cat and changing the downpipe.
Thanks for clearing that up mate.
SunilWRX is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
DJZsti
Subaru Parts
5
08 February 2019 07:41 PM
blockhead
Subaru Parts
19
07 November 2015 11:50 PM
KOEScoob
ScoobyNet General
6
17 September 2015 03:51 PM
Boostin
General Technical
10
15 September 2015 07:55 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ecu upgrade for classic 99 impreza uk turbo 2000


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.