Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

ECU Options for Import 97 v3 WRX Wagon.

Search this Thread

Old 13 February 2014, 03:35 PM
wrc
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU Options for Import 97 v3 WRX Wagon.

Hi Gents,

I recently purchased my first impreza, not my first performance or jap car mind. Been around 400+ pulsars and similar through my years.

I recently got myself a quite nice 97 (facelift), version 3 JDM wrx wagon - which is a really nice overall car. I didnt pay much for it as it had very short MOT so i took a bit of a gamble and other than a diagnosed fauly centre diff its a great car.

PLEASE bare in mind this car is just a cheap bit of fun for the weekends, it didnt cost me much and i dont want to spend overly unjustified amounts of money on it, i want to keep it simple..

Now, onto my question.

Being a wagon it obviously comes slightly de-tuned over the saloon, so at the moment i have the stock TD04 turbo, and an ecu that will only run 10lbs of boost in the early revs and lowers to 7lbs higher up - Which i would like to change slightly. I have applied a restictor pill in which gives me a nice solid 12lbs in the low revs but obviously the ecu takes over and drops me off to 7lbs as the revs rise.....

What i want, is the simplest way of holding a sensible 12lbs ish of boost all the way through the revs - I dont want it to be a race car or anything, just want it to sprint a little.

What ecu options do i have for that? Can anyone help? I had thought about this popular 'Z4' ecu but i know that wants a td05 unfortunatly. I had thought about fitting one and then getting it checked on rolling road, BUT i know the z4 is an early ecu - bearing in mind my wagon in 97 facelift will it even work...?

Failing that, do i just take the boost solenoid out of the question and run a dawes device to hold 12lbs? But on my ecu is that going to make me run ultra lean at top end or will the ecu/afm/lambda that controls fueling know and adjust to suit. Im guessing the ecu although it tells the boost solenoid to lower boost the ecu will still see values from the afm and lambda and adjust to suit?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.
Old 14 February 2014, 01:02 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

ESL is an option, twin map, mafless, knock control, optional Motorsport features, from 295GBP+VAT

www.facebook.com/EnduringSolutionsLtd
www.enduringsolutions.com/InfoSheet.pdf
www.enduringsolutions.com/Manual.pdf
www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AJAUA_F89s
Old 14 February 2014, 01:03 PM
Andy Stevens
Scooby Regular

Z4 won't fit btw, 4 plug ECU, yours will be 3 plug.
Old 14 February 2014, 02:00 PM
wrc
Scooby Newbie

I thought as much Andy, any idea on a 3 plug jdm ecu that will run approx 12lbs through the rev range?

At the moment im comtemplating just running a sensible boost controller, disconnecting the boost solenoid and just set it to 12psi ish and just enjoy it.