Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

GEMs ECU on 2003 STi Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 04 January 2014, 09:06 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GEMs ECU on 2003 STi Type UK

Hi,
I got the GEMs ecu that was fitted to the car by the previous owner a few years ago for over £1500, seen a lot of programs etc on gems.co.uk

Is there an easy way to connect the ecu to the laptop and monitor all of the parameters?? ( I have used many other programms, especially for BMW that would show every little thing, but this is a bit new to me)
And my wideband is showing 13.7 air/fuel on idle when warm , think its running a tiny bit lean??

Would it be a good idea to have it remapped ? or is there a way i could look at more parameters on gems software? (what cable do i need? )

Any advice is more than welcome!
Old 04 January 2014, 09:44 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

For yours ECU you will need dongle and then you should be able connect laptop/notebook to ECU,dongle can be easy purchased from GEMS directly or yours mapper/dealer

They usually cost around £150,older SimTek and think newer too are based on GEMS has been based on the GEMS ECU

13.7AFR on idle is OKish,although I would be happier if AFR has been closer to 14.xxAFR,but all this depends on the what injectors are you running and what other mods etc.

Speak with mappers over here,I'm sure they will able to help you with the mapping/tweaking

Jura
Old 04 January 2014, 10:28 PM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

Thanks mate!!!
I dont have the dongle as I wasnt the one who bough this amazing peace of kit ))
Im running:
TD05 18g turbo
Ported exhause headers
Full ss decat +prodrive muffler
And the ecu... as im aware-injectors are stock

So a simple odb2 cable from ebay (orange one, elm 1.4?? Won't work??)

Thanks Jura!!
Old 04 January 2014, 10:42 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

You can't use OBD2 cable from eBay on yours ECU,will not work

You will need GEMS dongle,if you want to see all parameters,think GEMS using their software

http://www.gems.co.uk/?content=pages&id=software

Jura
Old 05 January 2014, 09:47 AM
Nero_slk
Scooby Regular

My afr is a bit strange, sometimes it seems its running rich.. today in the morning it was 12.7 ...
Do I need a rollinh road remap to get it perfect?? Think the car was mapped for tesco 99... im using v power , could that affect it? (Im not sure what was it mapped for, but on one of the bills they mentioned the momentum 99)

How much is a remap usually?? Do you need to be "special" to map the gems ecu??

Last edited by Nero_slk; 05 January 2014 at 12:57 PM.
Old 06 January 2014, 04:01 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Nero_slk
My afr is a bit strange, sometimes it seems its running rich.. today in the morning it was 12.7 ...
Do I need a rollinh road remap to get it perfect?? Think the car was mapped for tesco 99... im using v power , could that affect it? (Im not sure what was it mapped for, but on one of the bills they mentioned the momentum 99)

How much is a remap usually?? Do you need to be "special" to map the gems ecu??
Hi there

I would suspect at morning(cold start) RPM raised to higher than is idle and due this AFR is higher,usually when engine is warmer AFR will go down

Yours GEMS ECU support wideband control,but again this depends on mapper who mapped it and how it mapped it,not sure if mapper plugged AFR/Wideband to yours ECU

Do you know who mapped ECU?

Not really you don't need to have car be mapped on rolling road,I would prefer rather have car mapped on road as car will be mostly on road than on RR

V-Power and T99 are both 99RON and they shouldn't affect too much AFR reading,just from my own experience I prefer always T99

Remap depends,I would say if car will be "tweaked" mapper who mapped previously then around £200 mark,if new mapper then around £350-£400

Yours ECU support CANbus then you can in theory use any CANbus display like is too Toucan,due this I would speak with Tim about the options for yours ECU

Jura