Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

maf sensor fault HELP required

Search this Thread

Old 14 November 2013, 05:36 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default maf sensor fault HELP required

Hi all, my V plate 2000 uk turbo has developed a hiccup when i initially put my foot down and she was hesitant off boost around 3000rpm. She has done 5500 since last service so though i would service her now to see if this cured the issue, I replaced all plugs and dropped the oil etc. The hiccup etc was still present so I thought I would try to clean my maf as I could see the screen in it was dirty. I put my maf back in and she threw up check engine straight away, I assumed I killed my sensor trying to clean it. So after reading many horror stories on here about after market mafs I just forked out and bought one direct from Subaru. It arrived and I plugged it in, instantly “check engine” was on so I tried to reset the ECU via the green and black pins below the dash and it wouldn't reset as it kept flashing code 23.

I tried my mates maf (sadly aftermarket) and it turned the check engine light off and she will boost again however not as well as it should. I put this down to it being a crappy aftermarket maf as this is exactly as his car runs with it in.

I also tried the brand new genuine one in his car and it also came straight up with the check engine light and code 23.

Can anyone clarify for me please what is going on? Is the new sensor I bought from Subaru dead? or would disconnecting the battery force the ecu to reset and then it could potentially recognise a new sensor is fitted (I think im clutching at straws with this I just want my car running again).

On a side note just encase it makes a difference I have got an ecutek map and license on the ecu. I have done so many searches for this specific issue with no success, I found so many threads of maf sensor failing but none with my specific scenario.

Thank you in advance to anyone who can help clarify the situation for me
Old 14 November 2013, 07:44 PM
Sk8xtrm
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just though I would add to this I tried to reset the ecu via battery disconnect for over an hour and it still did not make any difference. So would it be safe to assume the sensor I have been provided is dead?