Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

stupid question around CATs

Search this Thread

Old 11 July 2013, 11:37 PM
Skaven
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default stupid question around CATs

this may be me being a bit stupid or not reading it properly, but is it correct that a 2006 hawkeye only has Cats in the downpipe and centre section ?
would be useful to know for when i plan future mods as i have already removed the centre section cat, so need to know as i would to stay MOT friendly (either with a sports cat or standard) would the standard downpipe cat be that restrictive? as id be looking at 280 or under on a remap
any information would be greatly recieved

regards

Rhys
Old 12 July 2013, 12:39 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi Rhys

If yours car is WRX then with catted DP(Downpipe) you will struggle make 280bhp on TD04(OE WRX Turbo)

If you want to make 280bhp on yours existing setup,then decat exhaust is only option,Sport cat can be restrictive,but how much not sure

If you have STI then you should able to make easily 280bhp on catted downpipe etc.,with decatted exhaust would say 340bhp is easily possible

Jura
Old 12 July 2013, 12:54 AM
Skaven
Scooby Regular

forgot to mention its a wrx, id be happy with whatever improvments there would be on either just a normal downpipe or sports cat as id rather not go through the pain every year for mot
thanks for the info Jura
Old 12 July 2013, 01:22 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Skaven
forgot to mention its a wrx, id be happy with whatever improvments there would be on either just a normal downpipe or sports cat as id rather not go through the pain every year for mot
thanks for the info Jura
I still think with good sport cat you should be able to make nice numbers,decatted exhaust is best option if you have decat friendly MOT garage

Agree this can be pain swapping every year,but you will see what is best,but I would speak first with yours chosen mapper,he should able to recommend what will be best

Jura
Old 12 July 2013, 07:26 AM
scotty boy 80
Scooby Regular

Get a prodrive sports cat from a ppp car then thats the only cat you need its not restrictive and will pass mot's no problem
Old 01 August 2013, 04:05 PM
sgunbie
Scooby Newbie

Are decat pipes legal? I bought a Subaru and from a dealership and had several problems with it with an ECU light coming on all the time.

I got in contact with the previous owner and she said that the ECU light had always been on due to having a decat pipe fitted.

Could this be the case? Also could the garage sell it to me if it isn't legal?
Old 01 August 2013, 05:29 PM
big_wasa
Scooby Regular

A car with no catalytic convertor isn't legal to run on the roads. But your not likely to have any problems until mot time unless. Infact for post 2001 cars "most" sports cat's are not road legal either.

For Mot there are places that for a fee will fit an exhaust with cats and Mot then refit yours after. I was quoted £100 labour/loan for this + mot.

The code is easy to map out or the ecu can be fooled with a resistor. Even with the resistor mod the CEL light will come on in a wrx when giving it the beans due to the EGT sensor getting hot . Known as "cat on fire" .

Again this can be mapped out. Ive removed the second lambda and the EGT and just turned them of in the ecu.