Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Engine Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 15 June 2013, 12:21 AM
Mucksavage15
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine Advice Needed

Hi,
Been having problems with my engine the last few months and it's really starting to annoy me now. Hoping someone on here can point me in the right direction of the problem. I have very limited knowledge of engines so I will give as much info as poss, some of which may not be relevant!

When I start car from cold it runs at about 1500 rpms and then starts hunting for revs dropping right down to 600 revs and sounds like it will cut out but doesn't, once it has heated up then it idles steadily! Just as the engine is about to cut out the induction kit sucks hard and the revs pick up

1. Car is weekend driver so limited miles
2. I had cel code 32 - o2 sensor
3. O2 sensor wasnt connected, reconnected it and reset ecu, fault code cleared but still has idle problem
4. Replaced coolant temp sensor at weekend but still have idle problem
5. Battery constantly drains over a few days of new use
7. It's a 94 wrx Jdm import
8. I noticed a slight fuel smell when driving with window open this weekend
9. I smelles the dipstick and it appears to have a slight fuel smell

Anyone have any ideas about the idle problem and poss solution?

Any advice or help appreciated!!

Colin

Last edited by Mucksavage15; 18 July 2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 16 June 2013, 12:13 AM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

The o2 sensor in the downpipe behind turbo shouldn't be there on a 94. someone has fitted a later downpipe and left that sensor to bung the hole. The connector under the rad looks like a fan connector. Do you have 2 fans? The relevant o2 sensor is in the manifold on the drivers side assuming rhd. When they go faulty it can take a while of driving to log a fault code so check the sensor with a multimeter. Other than that it's checking the basics are set up correctly e.g. cam timing throttle sensor adjustment and a clean idle valve and no air leaks all pipes connected properly etc.

Last edited by jason_2013; 16 June 2013 at 12:16 AM. Reason: predictive text annoyance
Old 17 June 2013, 10:31 PM
Mucksavage15
Scooby Newbie

Originally Posted by jason_2013
The o2 sensor in the downpipe behind turbo shouldn't be there on a 94. someone has fitted a later downpipe and left that sensor to bung the hole. The connector under the rad looks like a fan connector. Do you have 2 fans? The relevant o2 sensor is in the manifold on the drivers side assuming rhd. When they go faulty it can take a while of driving to log a fault code so check the sensor with a multimeter. Other than that it's checking the basics are set up correctly e.g. cam timing throttle sensor adjustment and a clean idle valve and no air leaks all pipes connected properly etc.
Thanks jason, i located the o2 sensor under the drivers side exhaust. The sensor is in the manifold but the wire has not been connected to the wiring loom! The fitting on the end of the sensor cable appears different so i guess ill change the fitting and connect to see if that makes a difference. after a short drive last night the car started to flucuate a higher revs between 2500 and 3500 which it has never done before so think ill try cleaning the idle control valve for good measure as well. Cheers
Old 17 June 2013, 10:53 PM
jason_2013
Scooby Regular

Yeah it will need connecting. It should be a 3 wire sensor. They often go wrong and stop working.
Old 18 July 2013, 09:34 PM
Mucksavage15
Scooby Newbie

Reconnected 02 sensor and replaced coolant temp sensor but still have idle prob, anyone any ideas?
Thanks
Colin