Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Passing the 280 BHP mark

Search this Thread

Old 11 May 2013, 09:46 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Passing the 280 BHP mark

Hi guys, picked up my first scoob two days ago, decided I needed some boost in my life after driving a 330ci M Sport for the past year. I am seriously impressed with the way this thing drives.

I picked up the car at a dealership, it had clean spec and looked like a solid base to grow from. Silver Blob Eye, 60k, very comprehensive service history and interestingly a RHD German import after 5 thousand miles???

After loading up with optimax and taking a rather spirited 200 mile drive home, I got a CEL light just as I pulled into my drive. Never a good start. So I had a look around on the forum and discovered that Power Engineering came highly recommended, and was only a 10 mile drive away. They got me booked in first thing the next the morning.

So i drove there off boost and had my fingers crossed for the inspection. The great mechanic there found the problem within about a minute, just a small tear in a vacuum hose. Result. The guys in there were great, knew their stuff and were enthusiastic about the car, I'd really recommend Power Engineering to anyone living in or around London.

So we decided to get her on the dyno. It looks like it's already had a clean EcuTek map, pushing a nice 280bhp, with about equal torque figures. I'm looking to creep up to the 320 mark, and was wondering if anyone could identify any weak links in the setup or things that I could improve to get around there? The car has an Apexi AVC-R controller, which seems to be programmed to run different boost at different gears, running about 1.4 Bar in 1st-4th, and then 1.6 Bar in 5th. Does anyone know of a good baseline of boost level I could be running from my setup, without ruining the map if possible? Or perhaps just keep it the same, as the bhp and torque looked pretty good on the printouts.

The mechanic suggested an STi scoop to get a bit more cold air in to cover the whole size of the STi Intercooler, which I've just ordered. I'm also thinking the Milltek back box may be a tad restrictive. Would something like a Vortex Afterburner be a good choice?

Here is my current spec:

engine:
• td05 16g turbo
• sti 550cc injectors
• sti intercooler
• apexi AVC-R boost controller
• uprated fuel pump
• decat uppipe
• decat c/c
• sports cat d/p
• miltek b/b
• green panel filter
• ecutec tek3

brakes:
• ap racing 4pots
• 330mm discs and ferrodo pads
• uprated rear pads

suspension:
• STi Shocks
• prodrive springs and dampers
• prodrive geometry settings
• anti lift kit
• uprated droplinks
• uprated rear anti roll bar
• sti front strut upper and lower

wheels and tires:
• 17" oz speedline prodrive
• Toyo Proxes T1-R

And a few of pics of the car:

And probably the best mod of all - A PS2 with Tony Hawk's 3.

Old 11 May 2013, 10:55 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi there

Personally I never use Power Engineering and never will be(yes only once for fitting few bobs,but waiting 8 hours for just fitting one small bit is OTT)

If you are in London area you have few more option like Neil@Slowboy racing,Rich@FB Tuning,TFS or GRD plus lot more mappers over here,which are like mobile(Simon@JGM,Bob Rawle,Duncan@Race Dynamix) or have own workshop like Neil@Slowboy racing or Rich'FB Tuning

We are using only Slowboy racing for our project and really we can highly recommend him

Now about the yours spec,yours spec should push at least 320bhp with yours spec,not sure who recommended to you Apexi AVC-R,but on yours current spec you don't need and before you don't need to run boost controller,just due yours ECU can easily control boost

Jura
Old 12 May 2013, 09:28 AM
Shaun
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

What makes you think the Miltek backbox is restrictive? I ran over 600bhp on a full Miltek system on a previous Spec C. Miltek exhausts are not restrictive (in comparison) at all.

That's not a bad power figure for a WRX.
Old 12 May 2013, 10:39 AM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by Shaun
What makes you think the Miltek backbox is restrictive? I ran over 600bhp on a full Miltek system on a previous Spec C. Miltek exhausts are not restrictive (in comparison) at all.

That's not a bad power figure for a WRX.
280bhp on WRX would say is great and spotless if he run TD04,on 16G would 280bhp is pretty poor

Agreed n exhaust,Miltek are great exhaust

Jura
Old 12 May 2013, 11:11 AM
Knotty_
Scooby Regular

Speak to Simon Roe - Jolly Green Monster, he will set you in the correct direction.

If for whatever reason you wouldnt want to use Simon though, Jura has listed many reputable tuners.

You should only need a map change for 320ish though, no need to change any of your spec.
Old 12 May 2013, 12:13 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it a genuine td05 or a chinese copy ?

If genuine then I would expect to see 330+ from it.
Somethings not right, possibly non genuine td05 or something else
Old 12 May 2013, 03:01 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for your feedback. I purchased the car from a dealership, who told me they were given it to shift by a family friend. Interestingly the spec stated that the car was tuned at JGM Simon. Sorry, didn't see your post on here and just sent you a pm! Maybe someone's messed with the AVC-R controller since your original tune? I was told the turbo is a TD05 16g from an Evo, although I have no way of verifying it.

I assumed that the Milltek is a bit restrictive due to the fact that its so baffled and pretty quiet, although I do know they have a great reputation so it looks like it might be staying!

Last edited by RossForest; 12 May 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Old 12 May 2013, 03:14 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Forgot to mention, the AVC-R unit was already installed on the car when I purchased it. I'm currently just using it as a boost gauge, too scared to mess with the settings, I'm not too sure how it interacts with the map and whether the two won't coincide together if I mess with the settings.
Old 12 May 2013, 03:59 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Hi there

When you are hitting those boost levels you should be running more hp(but in some ways more boost doesn't mean more power)

What fuel you are running?

Try put V-power to yours and take yours car to SRR(Surrey Rolling Road),Charlie is great guy and very helpful and he should pinpoint where can be problem

Can you take closer picture of the turbo?

About the Miltek exhaust,usually louder exhaust doesn't mean they will make power and Miltek exhaust are proven exhausts in any power

Jura
Old 12 May 2013, 05:40 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Hi Jura,

I've been running V Power since I first filled up the car so that wouldn't be the issue. The car was dyno'd in 3rd gear, producing around 1.4bar for 280. I've heard that on the AVC-R, you usually run less boost in 5th gear than the rest to prevent overheating the turbo/detonation under hard load, which is why I'm having trouble figuring why it was set to run 1.6 bar in 5th. I'm not sure whether it was set up by someone clued up (Like Simon for instance), or whether it's been messed around with, possibly messing up the boost on the Ecutec map.

One more question - the AVC-R has two boost settings, A and B. I'm currently running on B, which is the higher boost setting. Setting A runs at around 1.2 bar, I presume for fuel economy. Are there any gurus out there that can tell me whether running it at low boost for longer journeys would mess around with the ecu, potentially being counter intuitive and actually using more fuel?
Old 12 May 2013, 05:43 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Awesome Wagon by the way Jura, just had a look at the spec. Bet the thing drives like a bat out of hell! Will try to get a pic of the turbo in a moment, if I can get to it that is.

Last edited by RossForest; 12 May 2013 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12 May 2013, 06:04 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Here are a couple of pics. I'm not sure if you'll be able see too much, couldn't really get at it too well with the camera

Old 12 May 2013, 06:35 PM
craigybaby
Scooby Regular

lovely motor mate i agree with the above comments 280bhp on a tdo5 doesnt seem right you wont go wrong with JGM he will make your car the best it can be
Old 12 May 2013, 06:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

The evo td05 rotates the opposite direction so would be clever fit.

Unfortunatly a number of cars recently being sold as mapped by me but when I check it hasnt been. Pm me the reg and I will check.

Happy to also check it over etc

Simon
Old 12 May 2013, 08:21 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Cheers Craig, she does make me smile!

Does that look like a TD05 to you Simon? I know its a really crap photo! Will PM you the reg. Where abouts are you based bud?

Another interesting advancement today. The mechanic at PE had a play with the Apexi, and I believe turned on the learning mode. I recall it boosting at around 1.45 Bar when it was dynod. Took her out for another spin a minute ago and peaked at 1.79 Bar in both 2nd and 3rd. Is this kind of boost safe to run, and could this be the reason it didn't get crazy bhp on the dyno?
Old 12 May 2013, 08:25 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Looks like someone is popular Simon - forum won't let me send the message because your inbox is full. The reg is AD53KNX. It would be great to know whether you did in fact map it or not.

Also, do you know if its a bad idea to run the Apexi controller in the off mode (standard boost I believe). I was peaking about 0.8 Bar when I tried earlier, but I don't want the Ecu to mess around with fuelling etc. Is this the way to go for motorway cruising to save fuel, or just keep it on high boost and stay off it?

Thanks again bud, and sorry for all the questions
Old 12 May 2013, 08:26 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

No not safe to run that high!

Press previous until you get
Monitor
Setting
Etc
On the screen, scroll to setting and press left arrow to get setting "off" before you damage the engine.

I am at surrey rolling road regular ( every wednesday ) and can take a look.
I noticed reg in pic and will look it up

Simon
Old 12 May 2013, 08:35 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

My reply out of sink. Sorry deleted some pms.

It is safe to run less boost than than it was mapped for but not more.

Its difficult to be sure from pictures regarding turbo
Old 12 May 2013, 08:35 PM
jura11
Scooby Regular

Originally Posted by RossForest
Hi Jura,

I've been running V Power since I first filled up the car so that wouldn't be the issue. The car was dyno'd in 3rd gear, producing around 1.4bar for 280. I've heard that on the AVC-R, you usually run less boost in 5th gear than the rest to prevent overheating the turbo/detonation under hard load, which is why I'm having trouble figuring why it was set to run 1.6 bar in 5th. I'm not sure whether it was set up by someone clued up (Like Simon for instance), or whether it's been messed around with, possibly messing up the boost on the Ecutec map.

One more question - the AVC-R has two boost settings, A and B. I'm currently running on B, which is the higher boost setting. Setting A runs at around 1.2 bar, I presume for fuel economy. Are there any gurus out there that can tell me whether running it at low boost for longer journeys would mess around with the ecu, potentially being counter intuitive and actually using more fuel?
Hi there

If you are running V-Power from day one,you should be making lot more power,really take your car to the SRR as above I suggested

On 5speed usually 3rd gear is dyno'd,many turbo have different characteristic,just for record on TD04 at 1.3-1.5bar(maybe less) you should be looking at 270-280bhp,on MDX321T at 1.4bar we are made 410bhp,on 1.7bar we are made 452bhp,as I said before sometimes more boost doesn't mean more power,sometimes means less power, just due turbo is running beyond efficiency and more boost just making more heat and not power

Those two setting are for boost profiles/maps

I've looked on pictures,not sure if I would say its 16G or its only TD04,if its 16G then something is wrong and if its TD04 then yours power is spotless for this turbo

Jura

Originally Posted by RossForest
Awesome Wagon by the way Jura, just had a look at the spec. Bet the thing drives like a bat out of hell! Will try to get a pic of the turbo in a moment, if I can get to it that is.
Hi there

Thanks,now wagon is again at garage for few upgrades,but hopefully with 600bhp will be at home soon

Jura
Old 12 May 2013, 08:36 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Cheers for the quick reply bud, I'll turn it off for now. Looks like you've saved me a potential rebuild! I'm busy this wednesday but will try to pop down next wednesday. Could you PM me your rates?

Thanks again man!
Old 12 May 2013, 10:59 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jura,

Will be taking it over in the next few weeks for sure. Cheers for all the info! Keep me posted on that wagon, sounds too rad!

Last edited by RossForest; 13 May 2013 at 08:00 AM.
Old 15 May 2013, 02:09 PM
RossForest
Scooby Regular

Just a quick update, just had Simon give the car a tune - it feels a shed load better, pulls like a tank. Overall, very happy customer. So in response to my original question of "How do you pass the 280bhp mark?" - Get Simon to do it.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 15 May 2013, 02:25 PM
keljon
Scooby Regular

that looks much better
Old 15 May 2013, 02:42 PM
Jolly Green Monster
Former Sponsor

Interesting car. I first mapped it in 2008, firstly set the avcr back up as was to run 1.4bar, it was unusually difficult to control but got it where I wanted it eventually and this gave 332bhp which is where it should have been when Ross bought it.
Little tweak to suit the dyno (change to ignition map) and 339bhp.
Pokey little td05
Old 15 May 2013, 03:01 PM
alphaj12
Scooby Regular

Very nice write up and superb result

Nice to see a positive thread on here
Old 03 March 2015, 03:39 PM
crzster
Scooby Newbie

Default What happened to the vehicle?

Hi there,

What happened to the vehicle AD53 KNX? It seems to have been abandoned!