Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

Would a remap on my Hawkeye STi give any significant MPG increase?

Search this Thread

Old 30 December 2012, 02:02 AM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Would a remap on my Hawkeye STi give any significant MPG increase?

I'm trying to figure out ways of maybe keeping my car and not selling it, but due to the miles I do for work now, it's costing a fortune.

The engine is completely standard. Exhaust is standard. Airbox is standard. I might put a better air filter on, but would leave the exhaust as is for the time being as I'm trying to save money long term for the next 12 months.

If the car was remapped for 300 - 310bhp, nothing too over the top, especially on a high mileage 2.5, would I see any significant gains in MPG?
Old 30 December 2012, 07:36 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay Cartay
I'm trying to figure out ways of maybe keeping my car and not selling it, but due to the miles I do for work now, it's costing a fortune.

The engine is completely standard. Exhaust is standard. Airbox is standard. I might put a better air filter on, but would leave the exhaust as is for the time being as I'm trying to save money long term for the next 12 months.

If the car was remapped for 300 - 310bhp, nothing too over the top, especially on a high mileage 2.5, would I see any significant gains in MPG?
Yes you maybe could have it mapped for economy but IMHO you could probably save as much fuel by your driving style , and what you will spend on the remap will probably cost as much as your 12 month saving
Old 30 December 2012, 08:07 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hahaha you gotan impreza and youre trying to save money.

The best advice you were given was dont buy an impreza with space shuttle mileage as you will never sell it.

The cost of the remap will take years to recoup in mpg savings
Old 30 December 2012, 08:14 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

With the fuel savings you could buy a cheap car too go to work in ,
Maybe an Audi or summat , they go pretty cheap now as they have **** status
Old 30 December 2012, 08:34 AM
lgtuk
Scooby Regular

+1 buy a cheap diesel with no ****y egr valves and no partical filters in the exhaust to go wrong and drive it into the ground then keep the impreza for evening and weekends
Old 30 December 2012, 08:38 AM
tubbytommy
BANNED

The trouble you have is youre keeping the hawk as you cant sell it not because you want to.

Your best bet is to break it as it will never fetch decent money due to mileage or as above geta cheap runaround.
Old 30 December 2012, 12:36 PM
Jay Cartay
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tubbytommy
The trouble you have is youre keeping the hawk as you cant sell it not because you want to.
Excuse me? The car is for sale yes, but do I want it to go? No! Why on earth would I want to sell something I love driving? The thought of losing it is driving me mad.

I've taken that car all over the UK and Europe. I'd never break it. If I could find a way, I'd keep the car until the day I die.

I keep thinking along the lines of buying a 330D when it's sold, but then I also want to buy an Impreza rolling shell to use as a long term project. Then I realise the money I'd spend on that would wipe out any savings I want to make and then I am back to square one.

I didn't buy an Impreza wanting to save money. I bought an Impreza and had a great year with it, then got a different job that involves more mileage and moved in with my girlfriend. My former housemate screwed me over and left me in debt by not paying his share of the bills.

You need to get your facts straight before making statements like that.
Old 30 December 2012, 03:39 PM
brendy76
Scooby Regular

Leave the house earlier and drive it easier sticking to 65-70mph on the mways and you will achieve decent mpg. Boring but it will definitely help. On a long run I can make a tank last 350 miles or 200 all depending on how I have driven it. ( stage 4 newage wrx)