Notices
Engine Management and ECU Remapping This section is to discuss the various aspects of engine management modification for your Subaru.

newbie question

Search this Thread

Old 28 November 2012, 01:49 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question newbie question

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I have been reading around and cant answer the question.

I have a 2002 WRX, it is 100% standard.

When I have it mapped for the first time, will I need to budget for a new ecu or new ecu licence?

I understand that I have more options on a newage car, but what are the options?
Old 29 November 2012, 06:37 PM
toneh
Scooby Regular

Hi mate option 1 , ecutek map , but you have to pay a licence fee first and then you're ecu is locked and can only be remapped or tweaked by ecutek agents ( mappers )
cost for first map circa £450
Option 2 open source , where you're car is mapped using software that is generally open for all to use , no licence fee And can be tweaked by any mapper
Cost circa £300
As for aftermarket ecu I wouldn't even think about that at the moment , you've got plenty of mods to do before you reach that stage
Old 01 December 2012, 09:40 AM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

thanks for your help mate.

Is the opensource worse than ecutek in any way? Is the warm/cold start more problematic? There seems to be debate on opensource but I fail to see whats not to like.
Old 01 December 2012, 10:39 AM
toneh
Scooby Regular

No mate o/s is no worse at all it's all down to the mapper who maps you're car
Speak to a good mapper and they will tell you the ins and outs ,
There are no issues at all using o/s mapping
Old 01 December 2012, 06:59 PM
JohnnyDavies
Scooby Regular

I'd get yourself a decent exhaust ie get rid of a cat or two then give Duncan Racedynamix a call, he mapped my 2004WRX and the difference is unreal!!
Old 03 December 2012, 08:49 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyDavies
I'd get yourself a decent exhaust ie get rid of a cat or two then give Duncan Racedynamix a call, he mapped my 2004WRX and the difference is unreal!!
Old 03 December 2012, 09:03 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

I was planning to get a sti decat uppipe, perin style turbo inlet and 3 port solenoid. My thinking is that will allow me to up boost and have the turbo spooling up quicker.

Do large exhausts give similar problems on turbo as n/a cars - eg less drivability low down but more high rev power?

Interested in and greatful for any advice.

I have seen a couple of ecutek and ppp ecus for sale on here, is it better to grab one of those for circa £150 and have that mapped or is there no advantage over open source?
Old 03 December 2012, 09:07 PM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by bigballs
I was planning to get a sti decat uppipe, perin style turbo inlet and 3 port solenoid. My thinking is that will allow me to up boost and have the turbo spooling up quicker.

Do large exhausts give similar problems on turbo as n/a cars - eg less drivability low down but more high rev power?

Interested in and greatful for any advice.

I have seen a couple of ecutek and ppp ecus for sale on here, is it better to grab one of those for circa £150 and have that mapped or is there no advantage over open source?
Thoughts on the spooling up will help as will the decat - the only downside of that is mot hassles but you can weigh that up as to whether too much hassle for the extra response and driveability you get by reducing back pressure.
Old 03 December 2012, 11:19 PM
bigballs
Scooby Regular

Am I safe to remove 1 of the 3 cats as i think this cat strangles car and sti is ok with only 2. I have my old mots online but dont know what Im looking for.

Would I be better off with 2.5" or 3" cat back as well as or instead of the other mods.
Old 04 December 2012, 07:53 AM
dynamix
Former Sponsor

I would remove two of the cats tbh - one of which being the uppipe cat. This is a bugger to do as it means turbo off to do it but with the age of your car, there is a high possibility that this will either be starting to break down or about to if more boost, power put through the system.

I guess my ideal set up would be decat uppipe (from the sti not aftermarket or ebay), prodrive sports cat down pipe and decat centre. Will get most performance for minimum hassle at MOT time.